2014 OKCA Show Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferris Wheels

2014 OKCA Show Review

Post by Ferris Wheels »

One of the events I look forward to every year is attending the Oregon Knife Collectors Association (OKCA) show. The 2014 OKCA show was April 11th – 13th with Friday the 11th being a members only/setup day and Saturday/Sunday the general show days. The show consists of 360 tables of custom makers, collectors, manufacturers, dealers and thousands of attendees passionate about knives. I have now been attending the show for 5 years and the list of things I look forward to each year keeps growing. Top of the list though is the growing group of friends I see once a year which includes a couple of our forum members here SolidState and Spyderwa. Along with a couple custom makers and a few of my favorite dealers I have come to know on a first name basis.

The highlight of the show for me every year though is Spyderco’s table and more importantly the people behind the table. Sal, Eric, Gail and this year Sal & Eric’s lovely assistant (who I apologize for not remembering her name) was there to free up some time for Sal and Eric to be able to walk the show. As I understand it from Sal they have not been able to walk the show floor for a number of years now due to the popularity and responsibility of manning the table. Sal and Eric were more than generous with their time and I will be honest that I monopolize it every year with this year not being any different.

One more highlight for me and then I will get on to what everyone is probably most interested in, a review of the prototype table. During one of my numerous visits to the Spyderco table on Saturday, I was talking with Sal when his attention drifted and he let out a shout of “Ken”. I turn and take a look in the direction of Sal’s shout and see a tall man in a cowboy hat who looks very familiar. He makes eye contact with Sal and comes walking over to the table at which point Sal and “Ken” exchange handshakes and hello’s. I am pretty sure I know who Ken is and then Sal introduces me, “Ken, this is Josh”, I proceed to shake Ken’s hand and then confirm my suspicion by asking, “Ken, would you happen to be THE Ken Onion?” and my suspicions were confirmed. Sal, Ken Onion and I then proceeded to have an incredible (at least for me) conversation for the next 15 – 20 minutes before Ken had to move on to other obligations. Truly one of the bigger highlights of the 2014 show for me.

Now onto my rundown of the Spyderco table and all the production prototypes and concept models that were displayed. I will be honest with you that my coverage is limited to my memory and only contains the knives which left a lasting impression. I will also try and limit my information to models/concepts that have not been covered already except for a select few which I was looking forward to since Mr. Blonde’s thread.

Native Shaman: How did this concept fly under the radar for so long! There was a Shaman on the table and it struck my fancy immediately. Size was on par with a Manix Lightweight, blade shape was a larger version of a Native 5 and 3.5 – 3.75” in length, blade steel was not identified or I neglected to remember. Scales were smooth G10 and the show stopper, COMPRESSION LOCK! The knife width was very slender like a Paramilitary2 but the scales were not flat, they had a very slight rise in elevation through the palm. The grip should fill small and large hands alike very nicely and to me was spot on. I start gushing over the concept model to Sal and he reaches into his pocket and withdraws another Shaman from his pocket that he has been carrying. After discussing the knife with Sal I ask the all-important question “Is the Shaman going into production?” Sal didn’t answer with a resounding yes but I got the impression we will see this model eventually once production capacity at Golden allows and the design gets ironed out. I will say it now, if/when this model goes into production it will challenge the Paramilitary2 for production capacity.

Brad Southard Ion (Name corrected to Ion thanks to Rebecca at Spyderco): Pretty easy to describe this knife, think the current Brad Southard shrunk to 2/3 or ¾ of the current size, same blade shape and all. I would put the blade right at 3” or slightly less. Flipped as good as or better than the original. Due to its size I don’t see this being a favorite among those with large hands. I have medium hands and the handle was adequate for me and I would rate this to be an excellent EDC. In speaking to Eric about the knife it is intended to be a more economical version of the original Brad Southard, would have a liner lock instead of a frame lock if memory serves me correctly and the blade steel would be S30V. This is another model that sounded destined or was already in the production queue.

Gayle Bradley Bolstered Folder: The prototype folder sitting on the table was one received by Sal from Gayle at this year’s Shot Show. It was a sleek stainless steel bolstered folder the size of the current Gayle Bradley, carbon fiber scales, pinned blade pivot and no pocket clip. The blade wasn’t a full flat grind but very close as the flat grind almost came to the top of the spine. Blade steel was not marked. This is another knife that sounded like it was already in production or going to production. The changes I got from Eric between the prototype and production model were elimination of the bolster and the liners would be slightly proud like the current Gayle Bradley but the blade would remain the same as the prototype. It is too bad the knife can’t be produced like the prototype since it was a work of art and I wanted to hand Eric my wallet so I could put it in my pocket and take it home.

Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber: There has been a lot of discussion already regarding this knife and I can say it was present on the table. I was able to have a rather in depth discussion with Sal regarding this particular knife. It is very similar to the new Native 5 Lightweight except it utilizes low void carbon fiber which has been fluted instead of FRN. Additionally there are no liners making the only parts that aren’t carbon fiber the blade, back lock, lock spring, pivot/screws and clip. Eric and Sal both have a version and neither was too keen on theirs being used for destruction testing. So they had been waiting for additional prototypes which had just been received to settle a friendly concern about the design between Sal and Eric. Sal didn’t feel the carbon fiber was going to be up to the challenge of retaining the clip without the screws pulling out of the carbon fiber and Eric was confident in them holding. When Eric showed up at the table he was able to confirm the testing had been done and the carbon fiber was up to the task with the clip failing before the screws pulled out. I am sure this is another model with a good shot of going into production but will have to wait for production to catch up with demand at Golden before it has a shot at getting the green light.

Paramilitary2 Fluted Carbon Fiber: It was present at the table and is an excellent knife, don’t know that I can add any additional information that hasn’t already been provided in other threads. I just wanted to confirm the unicorn is still on the table.

Firefly: I am a big fan of Peter Carey Knives but am not in a position to own one of his customs even if his books were open for orders. So when I saw the Firefly at the OKCA show two years ago I was beyond excited. Then when it was included in the 2014 catalogue I knew I was one step closer to having the next best thing to a Peter Carey custom. The only thing I did not like about the original prototype was the clip but I was pleasantly surprised by the production prototype on the table and the redesigned clip can be seen in Mr. Blonde’s photos. In a fortunate turn of events for my wallet it sounds like some challenges have arisen in the production of the Firefly so as they say patience is a virtue.

Rubicon: “Sal where’s the Rubicon I don’t see it on the table?” “Go find Eric, he has been carrying the production prototype and left it in his car.” So off I went into the throng of show attendees in search of Eric to find out why he was playing with my emotions. Having no luck with my search I ended up back at the Spyderco table only to find Eric had found his way back and I promptly asked for his car keys so I could liberate the Rubicon. The car keys were not handed over but a promise was that if I returned in an hour he would have the knife out on the table. Sure enough when I returned I was greeted by the new addition to the table, a Rubicon production prototype. Does it get any better, two Peter Carey design Spyderco’s not just one. The first piece of great news on the Rubicon, it will be manufactured in Taichung which was my hope since its reveal. I believe Taichung’s fit and finish could be called production custom which really makes a knife of this caliber shine. The Rubicon flips as nice as or nicer than the Domino and fits right into the size category I primarily EDC. The little details on this knife are superb and set it apart, the orange g10 ring around the 3d machined pivot screw, flawless. The only detraction I have on the knife is the clip. After refusing to put the knife down and begging Eric to let me do some product testing he informed me that we might not be waiting much longer for the Rubicon as it should start shipping before the Firefly!

Roadie: Liked this knife in photos, fell in love with it in person. Hope it makes it to production and a quick note, Sal had one in his pocket.

That is all I have so to wrap up I would like to thank Sal, Eric, Gail and the entire Spyderco crew for sharing their passion and time with me and the rest of the OKCA attendees.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Sounds awesome, but would it be too much to ask for pictures? :D We need to see these!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Unfortunately you are not allowed to photograph any of the knives on the table. The one exception is at the Amsterdam meet when Mr. Blonde is allowed to photograph some of the knives.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Wow, sounds awesome. Thanks for the info!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for your report. Great news are always appreciated. I am waiting for Shaman for a while. It looks like we are step closer to see it.
Ferris Wheels wrote: Native Shaman:
blade shape was a larger version of a Native 5 and 3.5 – 3.75” in length, Scales were smooth G10 and the show stopper, COMPRESSION LOCK! The knife width was very slender like a Paramilitary2 but the scales were not flat, they had a very slight rise in elevation through the palm. The grip should fill small and large hands alike very nicely and to me was spot on. I start gushing over the concept model to Sal and he reaches into his pocket and withdraws another Shaman from his pocket that he has been carrying. After discussing the knife with Sal I ask the all-important question “Is the Shaman going into production?” Sal didn’t answer with a resounding yes but I got the impression we will see this model eventually once production capacity at Golden allows and the design gets ironed out.
So far things looks good, may be even a little better than expected. I am not too crazy about compression lock at the moment. I would prefer midlock or ball lock, still this is not a deal breaker and will not stop me of getting one. Let's hope that Sal will make it. With dark green scales. I am not too picky about steel, so S110V will be fine :) . :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Why a pinned pivot on the new GB folder?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ferris Wheels wrote: I start gushing over the concept model to Sal and he reaches into his pocket and withdraws another Shaman from his pocket that he has been carrying.
Just wondering may be Sal doesn't need both since show is over :) :D
May be I can carry one for a little while, until production will be available? I know that trades are not allowed on the Forum, but I would trade couple discontinued spydies for this one :) .
Sal,
What would you say? :) :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Strong-Dog wrote:Why a pinned pivot on the new GB folder?
This was a Gayle Bradley made custom knife, which he chose to use a pinned pivot on and not screw construction due to the bolster I am sure. The knife was not a production prototype but I am sure Spyderco will continue to use screw construction.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Ferris Wheels wrote:This was a Gayle Bradley made custom knife, which he chose to use a pinned pivot on and not screw construction due to the bolster I am sure. The knife was not a production prototype but I am sure Spyderco will continue to use screw construction.
I hope they will not. In my opinion pinned knives look much better especially with bolsters. But I guess I am in the minority.
By the way thank you for the review
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Hmm. I have to say that I am totally and completely bummed out by the Shaman. I have wanted a larger Native for SO long and now it has my least favourite lock on it. :( :(

Sal, please reconsider that! I would be much happier with a mid lock!
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the write-up :D ! Sounds like it was a fun event.

Looking forward to seeing more knives down the road!
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Hmm. I have to say that I am totally and completely bummed out by the Shaman. I have wanted a larger Native for SO long and now it has my least favourite lock on it. :( :(

Sal, please reconsider that! I would be much happier with a mid lock!

I thought exactly the same. I really like the lock on the Native5 but can't stand the compression lock
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Ignaz wrote:I thought exactly the same. I really like the lock on the Native5 but can't stand the compression lock
Please don't use a midlock or a compression lock, use a BBL!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Strong-Dog wrote:Please don't use a midlock or a compression lock, use a BBL!
Even though I like the BBL I think there is not enough room for it on the Native.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Ignaz wrote:Even though I like the BBL I think there is not enough room for it on the Native.
Without a cage on it and with the bigger dimensions it may work. I don't know for sure though

-Henry Hill
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I For one am psyched for the compression lock. There are plenty of liner lock/back lock/integral locks in Spyderco's lineup. Not enough compression/cbbl/bbl. This is just more proof that you can't make everyone happy. That's ok though.

Thank you very much for sharing this info, it sounds like you had a great time. If for some reason you decide to share a bit more info on the pm2 cf model you saw I wouldn't be terribly upset. Or maybe someone could point me in the direction for more info. I did a search and didn't find much.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sorry guys, I definitely have to support using the compression lock. Seems perfect for that knife.
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

I would love to see any kind of native 5 (FRN Lightweight, Flutted CF, G10) in SE. I would be amazing!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Ed Schempp's folding kitchen knife straight blew me away. He's really figured it out in a way that makes more sense than anyone else. I think it was at least a 9" blade, and well, the handle was a standard 6" when the knife is deployed and safely locked out. He's one smart dude.

The Ion is a must as well. I don't remember the name, but there was an ulu-like knife with a stop lock that further convinced me of how smart that lock is.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Intrigued by the smaller Southard