2014 OKCA Show Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

That Shaman is sounding mighty fine. I can't wait to learn more. Thanks for taking the time to share all of this info with us. Some definite gold nuggets, for sure. ;)
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Native Shaman... Yeah I'd rock two of those as EDC. Please bring them out for 2015
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

SolidState wrote:Ed Schempp's folding kitchen knife straight blew me away. He's really figured it out in a way that makes more sense than anyone else. I think it was at least a 9" blade, and well, the handle was a standard 6" when the knife is deployed and safely locked out. He's one smart dude.

The Ion is a must as well. I don't remember the name, but there was an ulu-like knife with a stop lock that further convinced me of how smart that lock is.
SolidState I was hoping I could bait you into posting on the thread by intentionally leaving out Ed Schempp's folding kitchen knife. It was a very intriguing design with a lot of innovative ideas I had never seen done before. Do you remember the name of Ed's prototype that was on the table with the very slender profile and blade? It would be best called a gentlemans folder but not in a traditional design.
Liquid Cobra wrote:I For one am psyched for the compression lock. There are plenty of liner lock/back lock/integral locks in Spyderco's lineup. Not enough compression/cbbl/bbl. This is just more proof that you can't make everyone happy. That's ok though.

Thank you very much for sharing this info, it sounds like you had a great time. If for some reason you decide to share a bit more info on the pm2 cf model you saw I wouldn't be terribly upset. Or maybe someone could point me in the direction for more info. I did a search and didn't find much.
The compression lock really made the Shaman in my opinion but it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea just like the PM2.

As for the Fluted CF PM2, as it currently sat on the table the CF handles were about 1.5 times as thick as the current PM2, were fluted like the TI Military across the entire scale, finish was smooth really showing off the CF unlike peel ply, same compression lock as existing model, so really just the existing model with smooth fluted CF scales.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Please do keep the compression lock on the Shaman...

I was guessing that you can't take pictures, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. ;)
jvarn81

Post by jvarn81 »

Ferris Wheels wrote:
As for the Fluted CF PM2, as it currently sat on the table the CF handles were about 1.5 times as thick as the current PM2, were fluted like the TI Military across the entire scale, finish was smooth really showing off the CF unlike peel ply, same compression lock as existing model, so really just the existing model with smooth fluted CF scales.
Sounds perfect....wonder what the blade steel will be????
FDE

Post by FDE »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I For one am psyched for the compression lock. There are plenty of liner lock/back lock/integral locks in Spyderco's lineup. Not enough compression/cbbl/bbl. This is just more proof that you can't make everyone happy. That's ok though.

Thank you very much for sharing this info, it sounds like you had a great time. If for some reason you decide to share a bit more info on the pm2 cf model you saw I wouldn't be terribly upset. Or maybe someone could point me in the direction for more info. I did a search and didn't find much.
^ times 1000! I want a Native with compression lock while retaining the size it is now. I'd love for Spyderco to showcase its 2 innovative lock types (ball bearing and compression) in more sub 3" edc type knives. You mid lock / liner lock guys quit being greedy and let us have some fun! ;)