Which Husky torx set? I want to try adjusting the pivot on my new Manx 2 G-10...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Which Husky torx set? I want to try adjusting the pivot on my new Manx 2 G-10...

Post by HorserloverFat »

Which Husky torx set should I buy at Home Depot? I handled a Manix 2 G-10 at a dealer yesterday, the blade flicked open much easier and dropped with the buttons on the locking mechanism. I want to try to turn the pivot a little bit on mine in order to see if it helps with the general stiffness. Thanks.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

HD-74502

We have at least half a dozen of these, bought over several years. All have very precisely fitted and properly hardened bits, as good or better than my Wiha sets. However, you never really know if/when HD has changed suppliers, so check the fit before you throw away your receipt. HD has a very liberal return policy.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bring your knife to Home Depot and try it there.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:Bring your knife to Home Depot and try it there.
Yeah, I can just cut the package open with my knife and try out the set right there in the store. (Someone will probably freak-out.) :rolleyes:
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

swigert wrote:mine is all under t-12 I THINK

This is what I have just on amazon...i actually bought mine on amazon but realized HD also stocks them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T5 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. This is what I needed to know.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I appreciate the replies (as always) .
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

Check out Wiha brand torx tools.
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

Buy a set of Wiha torx bits. I found a set on their web site a month ago for $39.00 and it includes a ratchet handle. Link: http://www.wihatools.com/special_13.htm

Just my .02 worth. YMMV
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Auxiliaryjohn wrote:Buy a set of Wiha torx bits. I found a set on their web site a month ago for $39.00 and it includes a ratchet handle. Link: http://www.wihatools.com/special_13.htm

Just my .02 worth. YMMV
The caveat about the Wiha suggestion is that as long as he gets a good Husky set, it isn't $0.02, but $0.02 x 2000. ;)
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

Good point :d
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Nothing against Wiha, by the way, but in this case there is an excellent alternative that is less expensive and more portable. One of the many Husky sets rides in my briefcase, for example. You just never know when a knife will need a tweak. ;)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Save your money I had to throw away some husky and kobalt torx sets they are not that good, now these one is great very good for the money and its all you will need for spydercos. Its ironic in a way but it works. Mr. Sal where is the Spyderco torx screwdriver set?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kniv ... Torx--8073
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
mattman

Post by mattman »

An addiction to quality tools is partially to blame for leading me to Spyderco... I have used many small "bit" oriented tools in my previous "field electronics" career, and feel pretty qualified to fully endorse the quality of the Husky branded torx driver (and the screwdriver piece, with the red cap) as being a very high quality tool! It easily stands with Wiha in terms of bit sizing consistency, and hardening. I have several kicking around, and it is my go-to tool for knives.

I know the rest of the Husky line up is generally hit-or-miss, but this one is a GREAT tool at the price point, with the bonus of being readily accessible to those of us with Home Depots nearby.

No brainer.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I use the folding Bondhus 12632 GorillaGrip torx set.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

mattman wrote:An addiction to quality tools is partially to blame for leading me to Spyderco... I have used many small "bit" oriented tools in my previous "field electronics" career, and feel pretty qualified to fully endorse the quality of the Husky branded torx driver (and the screwdriver piece, with the red cap) as being a very high quality tool! It easily stands with Wiha in terms of bit sizing consistency, and hardening. I have several kicking around, and it is my go-to tool for knives.

I know the rest of the Husky line up is generally hit-or-miss, but this one is a GREAT tool at the price point, with the bonus of being readily accessible to those of us with Home Depots nearby.

No brainer.
I just want to confirm that you are referring to this set, please? http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Precision-S ... y_hi_img_y Thank you.
mattman

Post by mattman »

You linked the screwdriver set (red cap)...

The Torx set (black cap) is the one swigert linked to earlier in this thread.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

mattman wrote:You linked the screwdriver set (red cap)...

The Torx set (black cap) is the one swigert linked to earlier in this thread.
And that is the right one. HLF, I posted the Husky p/n in my reply near the top of the first page. That is the one you want.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

[quote="Bruceter"]Check out Wiha brand torx tools.[/quote]

+1 [/font]
:)
Stay Sharp!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

swigert wrote:mine is all under t-12 I THINK

This is what I have just on amazon...i actually bought mine on amazon but realized HD also stocks them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T5 ... UTF8&psc=1
I just stopped by a Home Depot store: apparently they have discontinued this item. They only had one torx set in stock @ $20 , I believe that the name of the brand was "Creative" .
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:Yeah, I can just cut the package open with my knife and try out the set right there in the store. (Someone will probably freak-out.) :rolleyes:
The first time I bought a set of torx wrenches I walked in the Home Depot and showed one of the assistants my knife and asked him where the appropriate tool was. He took me to the torx wrenches (which are not packaged) and we tried it together. It worked so I bought it. I don't recall any freaking out. Ymmv.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Maybe just order it from amazon? Best of luck.