we can get a sprint E4, per Sal...steel snobs weigh in

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

the white steel and white FRN does sound really cool. So does anyone here have user experience with SB and White? Or even White steel vs something else? As much as I want to spearhead this effort, I have only SB, ATS 34, and VG10 in my Japanese steel collection, and need to let better educated members weigh in. I will buy whatever you guys agree on and Sal agrees to make. Watching from the stands from this point+ :D
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

sal wrote:My preference would be to do the entire series; Endura, Stretch, Delica, D'Fly, Ladybug, manbug. Common handle color.

sal
Mr. Sal, the FRN color I don't see much around is RED, you have designated that to trainers, I think a deep rich Red or blood red FRN would be nice. The Bug is red that is the Spyderco color.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:the white steel and white FRN does sound really cool. So does anyone here have user experience with SB and White? Or even White steel vs something else? As much as I want to spearhead this effort, I have only SB, ATS 34, and VG10 in my Japanese steel collection, and need to let better educated members weigh in. I will buy whatever you guys agree on and Sal agrees to make. Watching from the stands from this point+ :D
I've definitely got mixed feelings on this. My top two choices would be xvc-11 (m4 equivalent) and White steel with white frn. If I could only own one knife, I would choose the xvc-11 for sure. But the reality is I can, and do, own lots of knives. Since I don't really need any of these, I would be more prone to purchase the more interesting/novel offering, which I believe would be the white/white. Like you though, I would like to hear from someone out there who has some experience with shirogami white. I mean, I would like to at least pretend I'm not buying it purely because of the name/handle color. :o
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Surfingringo wrote:My top two choices would be xvc-11 (m4 equivalent) and White steel with white frn.
I haven't read the thread in its entirety but these sound really good. Why not both, one now and the other eventually.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steel Drake,

Welcome to our forum.

Looks like we're having a good discussion. Thanx.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hmm...I'm curious. If this happens, I wonder if there is any chance of the steel going in the caly models too like they did with superblue.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would love to see a Caly 3.5 with one of the listed steel's
Ned

Post by Ned »

Surfingringo wrote:Hmm...I'm curious. If this happens, I wonder if there is any chance of the steel going in the caly models too like they did with superblue.
Ohh boy, I hope so. I would love another Caly 3 in a new steel and colored G-10.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:the white steel and white FRN does sound really cool. So does anyone here have user experience with SB and White? Or even White steel vs something else? As much as I want to spearhead this effort, I have only SB, ATS 34, and VG10 in my Japanese steel collection, and need to let better educated members weigh in. I will buy whatever you guys agree on and Sal agrees to make. Watching from the stands from this point+ :D
I only have experience with Aogami super, but I am sure some of our kitchen cutlery guys here would possibly have experience with both if not all three. Where is Madrookie...... he loves some good kitchen steel!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

Surfingringo wrote:Hmm...I'm curious. If this happens, I wonder if there is any chance of the steel going in the caly models too like they did with superblue.
I would definitely order both if they did, particularly if the consensus ends up on Shirogami White #1.
Tall Dark and Swarfy

Post by Tall Dark and Swarfy »

I posted the below in the original thread that spawned this one. I own knives in all 3 steels.

I believe Shirogami 1 is too similar to Aogami Super. A bit easier to sharpen, a bit less edge retention, and a bit more reactive. Even Aogami Super was a ballsy step IMO given the care it requires.

If you're going to keep the Hitachi steel theme I think HAP40 is a must. Can be hardened to Rc 67, finely grained, great edge retention, and not very reactive. In a kitchen environment it seems to patina to a dull gray.

Cheers,

Rick
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Two thoughts. First, can FRN be done in a solid color with flecks of contrasting material without ruining molds or significantly reducing durability? I was thinking white with mica flakes for a bit of shimmer.

Second, what about doing a small carbide steel like the white, but in fully serrated edges? A serrated sprint is new to me, though it may have been done before. I picture a hard steel with good edge stability and shallow serrations.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The khaki FRN of the Kahr Arms Delica would be a fantastic color for this series HERE

Edit: and I wouldn't mind if we threw in an extra Endura and Delica ground like that as well ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Ok, how about an American steel, Japanese made S110V Endura and a Japanese steel, American made XVC-11 (M4) Para-Military2 ?

Diplomatic enough ?

Then again, I could probably live with a XVC-11 Endura and a S110V Para2. :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Spyderco's sprints are so hot now they will sell as fast or faster than they ship no matter what steel is used except perhaps BD-1 because of Jim's results on rope. It's amazing how some judge steel purely on one form of abrasive wear tests. In any event any newish steel released in the mid- lower end knives ( delica, Endura, dragonfly, etc.) will blow in and out as fast as the packers at the retailers can ship them. It's almost too fast for people who don't have the forewarning and a good relationship with a retailer or two.

I am looking forward to this one. Lots of good ideas being thrown in by the guys here.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:I posted the below in the original thread that spawned this one. I own knives in all 3 steels.

I believe Shirogami 1 is too similar to Aogami Super. A bit easier to sharpen, a bit less edge retention, and a bit more reactive. Even Aogami Super was a ballsy step IMO given the care it requires.

If you're going to keep the Hitachi steel theme I think HAP40 is a must. Can be hardened to Rc 67, finely grained, great edge retention, and not very reactive. In a kitchen environment it seems to patina to a dull gray.

Cheers,

Rick
Hey, as long as it's a cutlery steel (i.e. high edge stability at thin geometries) I'm good with HAP 40 too.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

TheHAP M40is the equv. of M3-2 Cobalt. In other words it's a powder form ( very clean) of M2 High carbon ( called M3-2 +CO AISI name) with a bunch of cobalt. Very high speed stuff. We typically don't see cutlery steels with this high a cobalt content but it should be a fine performer in our type uses with extra red hardness properties to spare. Sounds appropriately expensive to purchase in bulk with all those high priced elements ( W,Mo,V,CO) .
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
NorthernPanda

D2 / G10 in dark blue

Post by NorthernPanda »

How about G10 (frn is too small for my hands) and D2. That and camouflage it so that is looks like one of my current knifes ... makes it more wife friendly. haha.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

NorthernPanda wrote: That and camouflage it so that is looks like one of my current knifes ... makes it more wife friendly. haha.
If you are a knife lover and didn't LYFAO at that, you are single...