New Gayle Bradley...disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paddy B

New Gayle Bradley...disappointed

Post by Paddy B »

After a month of reading rave reviews, I finally spent what, for me, is big money on a knife. The Gayle Bradley was my decision. Ordered my specimen from amazon, got it this past Tuesday. Upon opening the box (sealed on both ends), I immediately noticed what I thought would be the best blade in my little collection. It was sealed inside a plastic bag (tamper proof, sealed heavy plastic bag). Once I opened the bag, I immediately had my first letdown. 1" long scratch in the carbon fiber layer of the scale. Immediately bummed that it got past QC with that. Opening the blade was excellent, though. SMOOTH and locked up authoritatively. The knife definitely inspires confidence. Then after looking the rest of the cosmetics over for flaws (found none), I moved to the edge of the blade. Took it to some notebook paper laying on the counter. No bueno. The paper just collapsed under the knife. Tried it on a draw. BARELY cut paper. This persuaded me to take a much closer look at the edge. It was very obtuse. More than the 40 degree slots in the sharpmaker would touch. Also, because of the obtuse edge, the point was **** near nonexistent. Dejectedly, I boxed it back up and sent it back to amazon explaining the issues and requesting a full refund. I'm still bummed. I LOVE the design and beefyness of the knife, but I'll be damned if I pay 160 bucks for a dull knife I'll have to spend hours reprofiling. Not to mention the cosmetic deficiency on the scale, which was QUITE noticeable. Is that obtuse blade grind common on that knife? I'm gonna order another once my card gets credited, but I think I'll go through cutlery shoppe and ask Jeff to hand inspect it before sending it out. Just had to vent a little, I expected a lot out of that knife.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I got a new one just over a year ago and it was perfect- no blemishes, very sharp. It would be unusual for a Spyderco to come out with blemishes, they are usually very good with QC. Also I have never gotten a new Spyderco that had a sealed box or a sealed plastic bag.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I thought the sealed box and bag might be a good sign that I was getting an untampered with one? I agree though, all my other spydies came in the unsealed box with the knife in a UNSEALED plastic bag or bubble wrap bag.
nccole

Post by nccole »

My Gayle Bradley was perfect as was virtually every Taichung Spyderco I have. I will say what you are doing with returning and asking for Jeff to check one out should do the trick. I have asked that of a few online stores I trust. The only flaw I have ever had with seven Taichung knives was an issue with the carbon fiber on my Sage 1. It seemed to be a flaw in the manufacturing and not a scratch or post assembly issue. You could only see it if you got the light to hit it right. It is a horizontal blemish I ended up keeping it as it didn't bother too much. Good luck, I am sure you will get a great one, as this is really the first issue I have ever heard with a Gayle Bradley.
timlara

Post by timlara »

That's a bummer...but it happens, even with Taichung models now and then! I got a Domino from a reputable dealer that had a pivot so gritty/sticky that the flipper on the knife was pretty much useless. The dealer took it right back, though, so no big deal. Nobody's perfect. As long as you're dealing with reputable dealers who will honor returns, the VERY rare instances where you'll run into a bunk Spydie are just a minor inconvenience.
nccole

Post by nccole »

bdblue wrote:I got a new one just over a year ago and it was perfect- no blemishes, very sharp. It would be unusual for a Spyderco to come out with blemishes, they are usually very good with QC. Also I have never gotten a new Spyderco that had a sealed box or a sealed plastic bag.
A lot of Taichung's come sealed like described. I have also gotten a Taichung with a broken seal baggy. I recall that some spot QC happens in Golden from overseas products.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My Vallotton - Came in the same sealed plastic heavy bag and was perfect in every way. It was made in Taichung Taiwan.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I never understood buying a knife, especially a very expensive knife, off amazon, its a gamble what you will get or even if its real or a fake.

IMO there are too many excellent reputable dealers to buy from to even think about amazon.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bdblue wrote:I got a new one just over a year ago and it was perfect- no blemishes, very sharp. It would be unusual for a Spyderco to come out with blemishes, they are usually very good with QC. Also I have never gotten a new Spyderco that had a sealed box or a sealed plastic bag.
I bought a Southard that was sealed up in a heavy duty plastic bag...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I've purchased over 50 spydercos in recent years and none of them have been in sealed plastic bags - even ones with rust-prone steels. I've read so many reviews of knives like yours coming from Amazon, that I can't help but think that they just put the sent-back knives right back out in the mail. I can't remember one disappointment-based review that doesn't start with "I bought it from Amazon."
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anything is "possible" even it's it's not "probable".

I would think your chance would drop significantly on the second try. Especially if you send it back to Spyderco with an exchange request. Jeff should do you good though.

I've had dull Spydies and even some with obtuse secondary bevels. Some with minor imperfections. The number with "deal breakers" though, very few. One in 70 or so.

Occasionally people are frequently disappointed. These folks are either very unlikely or have expectations outside W&R's specs. That doesn't make them wrong but it does mean they are expecting something they are unlikely to receive on a production basis. (I don't think this is you, just a little side-note). Usually they move to knives like a Sebenza. Again, not "perfect" but more aligned with expectations. Same reason why Mustang owners occasionally move on to 911's.
redfeenix

Post by redfeenix »

Amazon is the worst place to buy knives. You will either get returned knives or partially used knives marked as brand new, Amazon is not as reputable as people seem to think. Learnt my lesson buying two Kershaw knives from them....that being said, bear in mind that Spyderco is on mass production capacity and have to deal with thousands of knives.....as a result a bad egg will slip QC now and then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is short, so buy knives while you can!:D

:spyder: Chaparral CF, Sage 1,Delica 4, Black Caly Jr ZDP (2x), Black Caly Jr. Spyderedge, Burgundy Caly Jr, Gray Caly Jr, Air, Native 5 Ti, Native 5 Forum 2013, Smallfly :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Paddy B, that stinks and I really hope you get a good specimen on the next go... I agree that for that cost, you shouldn't expect anything less than perfection.

Not sure how all this Amazon bashing relates to a QA/QC issue on a sealed knife, but hey it's a free country. I have bought dozens of Spyderco knives through Amazon with zero issue, the only weird one was an Amazon warehouse deal that had a different knife in the (opened) box, but the price was so low I couldn't resist taking a gamble. As for being sealed in bags, many of the Taichung knives I've received come fully sealed in the heavyish plastic bags, while many others from other factories come in the closed and taped lighter plastic bags or the foam sleeves. That's been my (extended) experiences with Spyderco from Amazon. Not everyone finds them non-reputable. Now don't get me started on how they now charge state sales taxes... ;) . Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Wow thats a first. Never heard of anyone being dissapointed (overall) with the GB. Ive had three over the years - all second hand and all three were perfect.

Amazon pays for return shipping when there is a defect. Either get a replacement or get a refund and buy it from one of the popular knife dealers here.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Bummer. Regarding the edge grind. I've seen a lot of variability from knife to knife. Some are screaming sharp, some won't shave arm hair, like my Super Blue Stretch. Pretty much the first thing I do with a new knife is reprofile and resharpen. But if this is to be a safe queen, that's not acceptable.

Gordon
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would buy from Amazon a helluva lot sooner than ebay. Both my Spyderco's have came from Amazon and have been perfect. But, Im now starting to learn about all the good independent dealers like KC,KW,Cutlery Shoppe, Howes,etc........I've received A LOT of help from this forum and I really appreciate it. That being said Amazon collecting state tax makes it not worth it anyway. I reckonI just really don't like eBay lol....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Not sure how all this Amazon bashing relates to a QA/QC issue on a sealed knife, but hey it's a free country.
Baggies can be resealed. The issue with Amazon is that you really don't know who you're buying from. Even changing a color option might change your seller. So despite one person's (extended) good experiences with Amazon, there's no guarantee that another person won't get some unscrupulous seller.

Whether this was a previously returned item, or one that slipped past QC, I'm sure the OP will have better luck with the second one. It definitely sucks to be anxiously awaiting a knife (of any price) only to be disappointed when it arrives.
RadioactiveSpyder

Don't forget about New Graham Knives! My personal favorite! The only dealer BTW to sell the recent CPM 154/S90V Para2 under $300, while everyone else sold them for $400-$500+. I definitely recommend them.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

tvenuto wrote:Baggies can be resealed. The issue with Amazon is that you really don't know who you're buying from. Even changing a color option might change your seller. So despite one person's (extended) good experiences with Amazon, there's no guarantee that another person won't get some unscrupulous seller.

Whether this was a previously returned item, or one that slipped past QC, I'm sure the OP will have better luck with the second one. It definitely sucks to be anxiously awaiting a knife (of any price) only to be disappointed when it arrives.
Pretty sure they are not re-heat sealing the thick bags. If you get a sealed thick bag, it's likely to be the original deal.

Not saying one won't ever get a bad deal either. My experience has been nothing but good.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Pretty sure they are not re-heat sealing the thick bags. If you get a sealed thick bag, it's likely to be the original deal.

Not saying one won't ever get a bad deal either. My experience has been nothing but good.
Yup. I agree man. And thanks for the heads up on NGK.
I'll give them a look.