First knife! First cut! Ouch! Oh, the blood!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

First knife! First cut! Ouch! Oh, the blood!

Post by HorserloverFat »

I slashed myself on the thumbprint area of my thumb this morning while sitting in the waiting area of a service station. Man, did it bleed! It was not deep enough to require sutures, but it bled and bled, thus requiring the application of a swab to the trail on the floor behind me as I made my way to the restroom. Embarrassing! I'm not exactly sure how this happened but suffice it to say that I didn't receive much sleep last night and therefore it was not a good time to "play" with it and attempt to break it in by opening it quickly with the hole. Perhaps it was owing to my hand being slippery from moisture. Anyway, I know for now that it is certainly sharp and I've gained more respect for the Manix 2. I've learned a lesson, however embarrassing it was... :eek:
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Heal quickly, most people on here have been bitten by a spydie.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

.......uh.......yeah....my Vallotton got me a day after I had it. Very light cut, but lol.....gotta respect those Spydeys......
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Get well soon, you've gotta give some luv to the new Manix. :rolleyes: A year ago or so, I had a new Delica I was working to break in. My thumb took six stitches. Knife was so sharp it left almost no scar. Enjoy your Manix.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Do you have any pics of the spyder that bit you? Some can be poisonous and without pics it's hard to tell.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yep. You are now officially a true SpyderNut. ;) Nothing to be ashamed of. Most of my Spydies have tasted my blood from one time or another. The worst cut was from my SE Harpy after I accidently closed it hard on my index finger. :eek: My finger is still crooked to this day (due to cutting through some tendons and whatnot). :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Some folks say that you don't truly "own" your knives until they've drawn blood from you.

TedP
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^
Those folks are too macho for my blood (no pun intended). What region of Virginia are you located in?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

SpyderNut wrote:Yep. You are now officially a true SpyderNut. ;) Nothing to be ashamed of. Most of my Spydies have tasted my blood from one time or another. The worst cut was from my SE Harpy after I accidently closed it hard on my index finger. :eek: My finger is still crooked to this day (due to cutting through some tendons and whatnot). :o
Thanks. Great quote, sir.
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

I cut myself on a manix 2 the other day too. I somehow got the tip in the fleshy part of my hand and it bled for ages.

Ouch!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^
How are you treating it, most importantly? I hope that it heals soon...
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

phillipsted wrote:Some folks say that you don't truly "own" your knives until they've drawn blood from you.

TedP
LoL I think I own everyone of mine then . Also Half my Arm has patches of hair missing from testing edges I think that should count Also as part of the bonding process :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

My Domino got me one day after playing with it around 4:20 in the afternoon........but oooh, aren't those Blue CF scales pretty in the afternoon sun. :D
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

HorserloverFat wrote:^
How are you treating it, most importantly? I hope that it heals soon...
Luckily, my girlfriend is a nurse, so instantly out came the gauze, rubbing alcohol and medical tape.

I ended up using a couple butterfly bandages to keep it closed while it healed. That was about a week ago, and it's almost fully healed already. :)

Gotta watch out for those blades!
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Yep. Play with knives long enough, and you're going to get a cut or two. We all do it, so don't feel embarrassed.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Did this single cut really result in the creation of three separate threads? Really?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

tvenuto wrote:Did this single cut really result in the creation of three separate threads? Really?
What's it to you?
knolan

Post by knolan »

HorserloverFat wrote:What's it to you?
^Hillarious!

Seriously though, to the OP..."congrats"...you've just recvd' your first initiation scar. Carrying a few stick-on butterfly closures in your wallet is always a good idea for Spydie lovers. Oddly enough, I always feel a combination of anger at myself when I foolishly cut myself, and some self pride at my sharpening skill, since I don't generally feel it right away until I notice blood all over the place...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

HorserloverFat wrote:What's it to you?
I just thought cuts mostly produced blood. It appears yours produce threads as well.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

You play with knives, you will get cut and have no hair on your arms that's a given. Super glue works well to close up deep cuts.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE