First Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LampRanch

First Military

Post by LampRanch »

I started collecting Spyderco's about a year ago and have accumulated a decent size collection. Started with a tenacious and was hooked. I've had many of the popular current production models. PM 2 & KW 204p,Caly 3 SB, Techno, Endura, DFly G10, Sage 2&3, Chap 1, Pac Salt, Manix 2 & LWT, Domino, Southard, UKPK, Native LWT, 5 & Forum, Harpy. With no b&m store close by I'm not able to handle these before buying so I've sold off all but 9 or 10 of my favorites. My favorite being the Southard and Techno up until 3 days ago when I finally received my TI Millie. I've always resisted the Millie just based on size alone. After reading so many positive reviews and seeing so many great pics, I decided to try one out. I have been blown away! Yes it is a big knife, but I am amazed at how well this thing rides in the pocket. In the hand it feels big but it is so sleek and ergonomic. I definitely see why this is an iconic knife. I wouldn't carry it while casually dressed but for at work or in the yard when I'm wearing my Dickies it is perfection. Don't see it leaving that pocket anytime soon!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yup...Sal hit a home run with that model for sure...

I agree it rides very well for a knife so large & hearty
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cool. Pleasant surprise's are always nice. BTW, how do you like the Domino?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Congrats on the Milie! I don't own one, but I bought a leftie as a gift for my brother in law a while back. I carried it around the house for a little while and it did indeed carry well, and the F&F was phenomenal. It does feel big in the hand, but I'm sure it comes into its own when used with gloves. I prefer the PM2 as the best of both worlds for my uses, but if you knew you'd be using your knife hard for a while the Milie would be the one to choose.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Cool man. I am also set on a military for my next one, prob DLC, black G-10 variety. I never really considered the millie because in pictures it looked almost cartoonishly large to me. But then I held one and it didn't seem much bigger than my endura, a perfect size really.
LampRanch

Post by LampRanch »

MacLaren,
The domino is a great knife I just couldn't warm up to the carbon fiber pattern so I sold it. The new blue lighting strike cf looks nice though. Might have to pick one of those up because I really liked the knife.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

LampRanch wrote:MacLaren,
The domino is a great knife I just couldn't warm up to the carbon fiber pattern so I sold it. The new blue lighting strike cf looks nice though. Might have to pick one of those up because I really liked the knife.
Totally understand. Thx for letting me know.
BTW, would a born on date of BN =February 2014?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I received a Ti Millie last year for fathers day and I was also really surprised at how well it carries. For me, it probably has the best ergonomics of all of my Spyderco's. At first I thought the handle looked disproportionate but after carrying the knife I realized that having that extra handle room really provides lot of options. Not too long after getting the TI model I purchased a G10 version and was also amazed at the difference between it and the Ti model. Same knife, just so light weight and grippy with the G10, I carry them both often and am very impressed with the Military. Just to play the role of enabler, I would definitely look at buying a G10 version to add to your rotation.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Congrats on the knife! I had an orange sprint military but sold it as I didn't care for the size. May have to give it another chance in the future
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The ti was my first Millie. I think it is my favorite too. I dunno, the g10 is pretty awesome too. Different animals. What I know for sure is I love my ti Millie! Enjoy yours!
Ned

Post by Ned »

Mine is still my favorite knife..I love all my Spyderco knives but that Ti-Millie is just something special..
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Carbon fiber brings out the best in the Military; lighter, stiffer and just as strong. The first sprint was the lightest and rarest ;)

Best large folder on the marked Imho

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I held off the Military for a while because of the size, but I made an offer to the owner of my local knife store, and he bent a little on the price (I bring him enough business lol). I ended up getting a good deal on a CruWear Millie, and it really does carry very well (Though I won't buy another until they come out with the Military 2...I want the ability to carry it tip up and preferably a compression lock). Those are small gripes however, because it's still a VERY good design as is...I just wish it was as refined as the PM2.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

NoFair wrote:Carbon fiber brings out the best in the Military; lighter, stiffer and just as strong. The first sprint was the lightest and rarest ;)

Best large folder on the marked Imho
I agree it is one of the best Sprint versions of the Military, but wasn't aware it was rare. I always though it was a larger 1200 piece run.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Military is just fantastic. My favorite version is the fluted Ti. Good grip while not shredding a pocket. Also not too much of a weight penalty over the g10.

One caveat though, Got one of the newer batch recently without the blue coloring and was surprised to find the scales a bit thicker and over all a bit heavier.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

xceptnl wrote:I agree it is one of the best Sprint versions of the Military, but wasn't aware it was rare. I always though it was a larger 1200 piece run.

Nice picture!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If you can snag a CruWear Millie I recommend it...this steel is VERY good, and it gets the honour of being the first production knife to feature CPM CruWear.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

T-1000 wrote:Nice picture!
Thank you. My eyebrow is growing back nicely after being that close to the fire, but the shot made it worth it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LampRanch

Post by LampRanch »

Wish I could get my hands on a Carbon Fiber and Fluted Ti. CS had a few of the fluted in stock last week and I thought I had scored one. My order was accepted and I received a confirmation email but was informed the next day they had ran out just before my order, I was so bummed. Really want one of the blued ones.
LampRanch

Post by LampRanch »

The tip down carry is my only complaint. Is the Military 2 a rumor or actually in the works?