super blue dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

Well I did it.... Frankenfly is mine. Needs a bit of adjustment though, I had both backspacers out so I went ahead and swapped em along with the blades. Now the g10 sb combo take way more force than I'm used to to depress the lock bar. The bar also sits slightly below the liners(.005" ish). I think tomorrow I'll swap back the lock bars to see if it fixes things. I'm a bit disappointed though, the finish of the sb lock bar is a bit less polished and added a nice accent stripe the the knife. I'll get up pictures tomorrow -- the pics on my phone are a bit too big and I'm too lazy to set up a imgur account...

Thanks for the pointers jack, it wasn't too bad at all.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

SB D'fly and SB Ladybug arrived yesterday.
****!
I swear I've never seen a sharper cutting edge than what is on these 2 blades.
I'm talking professional hand sharpened and/or factory edge.
I have most of the sprint run steels, Caly 3 SB, and quite a few ZDP blades, but I'm very impressed by these.
SB Stretch just now purchased!
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

I agree this SB dragonfly is sharp !! I just for fun hit mine with my Sharpmaker and ultra fine stones and knives plus leather block strop and omg !!!! It's scarey sharp now !! But anyway love this little jewel and it's so easy to carry in any pocket .
gph

Post by gph »

mehhhhhhhh wrote:Well I did it.... Frankenfly is mine. Needs a bit of adjustment though, I had both backspacers out so I went ahead and swapped em along with the blades. Now the g10 sb combo take way more force than I'm used to to depress the lock bar. The bar also sits slightly below the liners(.005" ish). I think tomorrow I'll swap back the lock bars to see if it fixes things. I'm a bit disappointed though, the finish of the sb lock bar is a bit less polished and added a nice accent stripe the the knife. I'll get up pictures tomorrow -- the pics on my phone are a bit too big and I'm too lazy to set up a imgur account...

Thanks for the pointers jack, it wasn't too bad at all.
This was my experience as well, right down to thinking the accent stripe looks nice. I'm also thinking about switching the lock bars back to their original handles. Does anyone know if the lock bars are made of the same material?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gph wrote:This was my experience as well, right down to thinking the accent stripe looks nice. I'm also thinking about switching the lock bars back to their original handles. Does anyone know if the lock bars are made of the same material?
Here's an accent stripe I like. I forced a patina on the blade of my Stretch. Check out the spine. There's the same look inside the opening hole. The picture is a little blurry. Looking at the spine it's a lot more distinct.

Here's the blade. I took the picture so you have to look at it. :)

I assume all the parts including the lockbars are made of the same material. Even the blades. They just stamp different steel types on the tang. :D Jusk kidding. :)

Jack
gph

Post by gph »

That looks nice Jack. What technique did you use? I've been thinking of forcing a patina on my Dfly because I don't cut anything that would cause it. I'm thinking maybe I should to get ahead of rust.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gph wrote:That looks nice Jack. What technique did you use? I've been thinking of forcing a patina on my Dfly because I don't cut anything that would cause it. I'm thinking maybe I should to get ahead of rust.
I think I took the blade out but you don't have to do that. I put the blade in vinegar for 5 minutes or so. Then Itook it out and let air get to the steel. Then I'd put it back in the vinegar, then air, then vinegar. I did that for 30 or 40 minutes. The same should work if you stand the knife up in a glass or something and fill the glass with vinegar right to where the handle is. You can also stick the blade in a potatoe for a while. Just about any type of acid food is supposed to work I think. The SB patina's real fast compared to M4 which is the only other steel I've force a patina on. I think I took the blade out to make sure I got a patina on all the SB showing including around the tang and inside the pivot hole. Of course I voided the warranty.

Jack
gph

Post by gph »

Thanks Jack, I think I'll give it a try.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

jack,

that core stripe is awesome - my Stretch does not show it at all :(
nor does my D'fly or Ladybug

EDIT ...

I'm so embarrassed that I didn't read each word of your post - stating that you forced the core stripe to form on your blade.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Timbo114 wrote:jack,

It's the same steel that is along the edge. You can force a patina if you want. Try using vinegar with a Q-tip or cotton ball or something like that. Wipe the vinegar along the spine and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Do it again. Do it over and over until you get the darkness you want.. Let me try it first. Here is a picture of my d'fly SB spine now. You can see the SB core down the middle of the spine but you have to look real close.

I'll force a patina on the spine and post another pic. It will be in 30 minutes or hour, maybe later.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Look at the picture of the Stretch blade (side) in post 225. The patina on the SB along the edge was removed from the edge bevel by using a strop. The area above the bevel is the same patina as on the spine. The D'fly is patinaing nicely. Just a few more minutes I think.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is the same knife after dabbing the spine with vinegar and letting it sit. I would re-apply vinegar every few minutes then sit the knife down on the table with the spine down to keep the vinegar from dripping down onto the sb along the edge.

Jack
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna give it a go right now :D
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

Gph. I switch the lock bars back to their original handles with the blades still frankensteiened and came up with even worse lock bar protrusion issues. I swapped em back again to have the blades with their matching lock bar and still have (hardly) perceptible unevenness. I'm leaving it like this for now, and considering swapping the springs to see if it'll help.

The g10 sb blade has worn into its new home with some use and isn't so stiff anymore. Right now I think I'm happy with the results. We see if I get antsy and swap the springs. If I do I'll let you know how it worked out

I know I still owe everyone a picture too I'll get on that tomorrow
gph wrote:This was my experience as well, right down to thinking the accent stripe looks nice. I'm also thinking about switching the lock bars back to their original handles. Does anyone know if the lock bars are made of the same material?
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Timbo114 wrote:jack,

EDIT ...

I'm so embarrassed that I didn't read each word of your post - stating that you forced the core stripe to form on your blade.
I had some apple cider vinegar in the pantry.
It worked like a charm - did the Stretch, D'fly and LB at same time - AWESOME!

Only problem is ... I have scratched the Stretch blade while wiping off the vinegar, and I'm very upset about it.
There were many metal shavings and some lube at the base of my Stretch blade right outta the box - I wiped it down with a corner of my micro fiber shop rag.
I guess I used the wrong corner of said rag to wipe vinegar.
I cannot feel the scratches with my fingernail - they are very fine, but the scream loudly when I look at them.
This makes me sick to see this.

So how do I remove these scratches?
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Step one: use your knife to cut things.

Step two: forget about the scratches.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, that 420J1 scratches very easily. Just enjoy using it or you'll drive yourself crazy worrying about the inevitable scratches.
:bug-red-white