S110v Lightweight Manix 2 Vs. Cts-204P Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2?

Manix 2
37%
Paramilitary 2
63%

Total votes: 97

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:No, but that's not what we're talking about. Look at the price on the orange sprint, which was XHP, which isn't at all in the same class as S90V, M390, 20CP or 204P. A lot of these are sought either because of the G10 color or because people want to collect the whole series.
They don't sell on ebay for $850 though. That was a one time thing but it did happen. I've seen several go for ~$600. I'm pretty sure MadRookie just paid about that for one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:They don't sell on ebay for $850 though. That was a one time thing but it did happen. I've seen several go for ~$600. I'm pretty sure MadRookie just paid about that for one.
Yes, lots seem to go for around $600. Just so we're clear, I have a pile of Para 2 sprints, and I would love to see their market price fall. (I bought all but one at the original discount price.) It's a lot easier to use and enjoy them, and not worry about losing them, when the replacement price isn't crazy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:Yes, lots seem to go for around $600. Just so we're clear, I have a pile of Para 2 sprints, and I would love to see their market price fall. (I bought all but one at the original discount price.) It's a lot easier to use and enjoy them, and not worry about losing them, when the replacement price isn't crazy.
That's what I want the most...a really high end steel in an affordable knife that you don't have to scour the earth for and then pay an arm and a leg to buy. I plan on buying 2 more of this Manix just for future replacement.

I used it to cut some boxes at work today and was just in love with it. The edge did hold a shaving edge for quite a few cuts before it was more scraping hair than shaving it, but there wasn't any perceivable difference in how it sliced cardboard. I'm gonna go as long as I can without sharpening it just to see how it turns out.
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:That's what I want the most...a really high end steel in an affordable knife that you don't have to scour the earth for and then pay an arm and a leg to buy. I plan on buying 2 more of this Manix just for future replacement.

I used it to cut some boxes at work today and was just in love with it. The edge did hold a shaving edge for quite a few cuts before it was more scraping hair than shaving it, but there wasn't any perceivable difference in how it sliced cardboard. I'm gonna go as long as I can without sharpening it just to see how it turns out.
Roman was saying the same about his Forum Native. At one point I was really in love with the Manix 2 but eventually the handle shape started to disagree with me. (More for you guys.) I'm looking forward to the S110V/CF Native. :spyder: For the money, though, this one is unbeatable.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:That's what I want the most...a really high end steel in an affordable knife that you don't have to scour the earth for and then pay an arm and a leg to buy.
Same here. I can take this Manix camping, travelling etc without fear of damage or loss like my other sprints.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I used it to cut some boxes at work today and was just in love with it. The edge did hold a shaving edge for quite a few cuts before it was more scraping hair than shaving it, but there wasn't any perceivable difference in how it sliced cardboard. I'm gonna go as long as I can without sharpening it just to see how it turns out.
I did this same evaluation with my new 204P Para as well as the Manix S110V. The green Para will no longer shave and I noticed a difference in effort required to make slices. The Manix S110V has surpassed that amount of work and with still shave without scraping. Although very early on in my assessment of these, I see the Manix pulling an early lead.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Josh623

Post by Josh623 »

I don't have both... but I have had the para2 in cts 20cp and I have handled several manix's. I really like the ergos and blade on the para2, there are few that are even close IMO. The manix does not feel as good, but it likely will hold an edge better than the para2, depending on what you get. I just got this in and "fixed" it up ;) didn't even realize it was a sprint run until after... but hey, it will be a user. reground to .010" and crowned the spine.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ultimately the difference in ergos between the two is about how big your hand is and how often you grip behind the choil. For me the Para is just a bit too short behind the choil to fit all 4 fingers on without my pinky landing on the point. I don't have this issue with the Manix. Also carrying knives with little to no thump ramp have really effected my taste in how my thumb rests on the spine.
~David
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

I think I may just buy a production paramilitary 2, anyone know a good place to buy it? (Pm me).
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If a regular production S110V Para2 will have as big a affect on secondary Sprint run Para2's as some here seem to think, then shouldn't the regular production S110V Manix should have as big an effect on secondary Sprint run Manix 2 prices?

I don't see them for sale very often but the Tan M4 Manix 2 doesn't seem have been affected one iota, at least not yet.

That could change..time will tell..
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Good points gentlemen. Maybe it's time for a production PM2 with an uber steel.

I see the M4 Manix going for $180 to $210 before the the LWT S110v, not bad and I think it'll stay that way. Those older sprints are long gone and are desired for various reasons not sure future standard production releases will change most of them too much.

Surely there's room for both, sprints and production versions with high end steel and different scales.

...and once sales stagnate, in can be Disco'd, side effect being everyone who wants one gets to have one.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:Good points gentlemen. Maybe it's time for a production PM2 with an uber steel.

I see the M4 Manix going for $180 to $210 before the the LWT S110v, not bad and I think it'll stay that way. Those older sprints are long gone and are desired for various reasons not sure future standard production releases will change most of them too much.

Surely there's room for both, sprints and production versions with high end steel and different scales.

...and once sales stagnate, in can be Disco'd, side effect being everyone who wants one gets to have one.
Uber??? Wait, wait - uber steel??? S90V? 20CP? M390? 204P? :eek: :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Josh623 wrote: Image
Regrind pics like these make me realise I need to buy fewer knives, and regrind some of the existing ones instead!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

JNewell wrote:Uber??? Wait, wait - uber steel??? S90V? 20CP? M390? 204P? :eek: :D
I think he meant regular production, not a sprint.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Ultimately the difference in ergos between the two is about how big your hand is and how often you grip behind the choil. For me the Para is just a bit too short behind the choil to fit all 4 fingers on without my pinky landing on the point. I don't have this issue with the Manix. Also carrying knives with little to no thump ramp have really effected my taste in how my thumb rests on the spine.
I'm finding that I like the manix ergos over the para 2. 1) I like knives that are flatter across the spine with little or no thumb ramp like the native 5 and southard. 2) a little extra width across the face of the scale just fits my hands better. That's why I prefer the Native 5 over the Caly3/3.5.

I love the para 2 but the manix just has more of a "fits like a glove" appeal.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Brock O Lee wrote:Regrind pics like these make me realise I need to buy fewer knives, and regrind some of the existing ones instead!
Agreed. After having the southard reground I'm looking at other knives in the drawer and thinking they could stand to be a little thinner at the edge.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If Spyderco started making a regular production Para2 and Millie with S110V blade steel that might take a lot of the wow factor off future sprint runs..a very big part of Sprint Runs is the newest uber blade steels they show off..

If S110V goes regular production it might take steels like K390, K294, 10V, 15V, Maxamet etc. to be considered super uber upgrades over S110V..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Philo Beddoe wrote:If Spyderco started making a regular production Para2 and Millie with S110V blade steel that might take a lot of the wow factor off future sprint runs..a very big part of Sprint Runs is the newest uber blade steels they show off..

If S110V goes regular production it might take steels like K390, K294, 10V, 15V, Maxamet etc. to be considered super uber upgrades over S110V..
True but not all sprints are "higher end" steel. Many would love a M4 sprint and I don't think anyone would argue that M4 is lower on the edge retention scale than S110V. Handle colors are also a popular sprint.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I like when they release current models as sprints with an upgraded steel and a different handle colour/material but I prefer when they release discontinued models better. It gives me a chance to catch up on stuff I've missed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

ViperGTS wrote:I think he meant regular production, not a sprint.
Yeah kind of like the LWT Manix got S110v and it's not a sprint.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy