Please kindly help me decide between the Manix 2 (G-10) and the Manix 2 XL for first

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Please kindly help me decide between the Manix 2 (G-10) and the Manix 2 XL for first

Post by HorserloverFat »

... Spyderco ! I've narrowed it down to a Manix 2 , although I have handled neither and therefore I'm having a hard time in making a decision. I am certain that a Manix 2 will be my first Spyderco and I have decided to exclude the more special editions such as the lighter weight " Translucent Blue " and the " Dark Blue " for now (maybe later). I believe that the XL is actually cheaper at the moment. I had made my mind up about the regular Manix 2 (G-10), but I am wondering now if the XL would be a better fit in my large and thin hands. However, would it be to large and conspicuous for everyday carry ? Perhaps I should just squeeze the trigger on the regular Manix 2 and then buy the XL latter. What are your thoughts, please? Thanks in advance...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have normal/large hands and much prefer the ergonomics of the xl. The truth is, they are BOTH pocket hogs, so as long as you're carrying a hog it might as be the big one. ;) . Just my 2¢
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer handles with pinky ramps like the XL and would pick it if my carry laws weren't draconian with their 3.5" limitation :( .
Clip

Post by Clip »

Do you feel more comfortable carrying a larger or smaller knife? What's you pocket size and how much other stuff do you carry?
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

If you want the XL got for it, but don't pass up the manix FRN s110v its just as much $$$ as the XL.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both and would (as I did) start with a normal Manix2 before branching into its variations, whether with an XL or the differently scaled Lightweights.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Another reason to start with the xl is you will likely eventually want that new s110v version in the "regular" size.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Hi,
I EDC a XL S90V. I am pleased to report it is in my RF pocket as I type this, sipping a beer in the San Juan Islands here in WA St. It is actually a bit small for my large hands. It is not a pocket hog in my life as nothing else ...ever...is allowed in my knife carry pocket. However it would not be my first choice in dress pants, jeans, no worries. I believe you will come to find the Manix line to be a truly superior product, but requires a bit more break in and or adjustment time than say compression lock models which are my favorites. Still, after learning how to dial in my CBBL models, they have really grown on me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd start with the standard. The XL is quite big for EDC unless you like big knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Clip wrote:Do you feel more comfortable carrying a larger or smaller knife? What's you pocket size and how much other stuff do you carry?
Keys and phone in the front pockets of my jeans for now. I would prefer a larger knife in order to fit my hands, but it may be too big to EDC. Perhaps I am going to the other extreme as my two current EDC knives are on the small side such as the Kershaw Leek/Onion and Griptilian. Would the Manix 2 XL attract too much unwanted attention in the pocket and deployment in public places? Thanks...
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:I'd start with the standard. The XL is quite big for EDC unless you like big knives.
Thanks...
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I find the xl to be so large as to be almost comical, and hence I barely ever carry mine.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

opusxpn wrote:If you want the XL got for it, but don't pass up the manix FRN s110v its just as much $$$ as the XL.
I agree. Both types of manii are amazing knives, but you absolutely cannot beat the S110V dark blue manix LW for the money. This is my take. If you care about the steel over the handle material, go S110V manix LW. If you care about the handle material over the blade steel, then go regular size FFG manix.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I have both and, because the laws here are stupid and limit me to 3.5" even though I can carry a .45... so I carry the Manix2 90% of the time and then 10% carry a Para-Military2. The Manix2 XL I take when in am out and about on my property or hiking, camping etc.

If I wasn't legally limited in blade length a sprint run Manix2 XL would probably be my EDC.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
Clip

Post by Clip »

I haven't found a need for a blade longer than the Manix2 in my daily carry. The handle is large enough for my hands (L/XL) as well. If I do need a larger blade I'll reach for the Military, which is IMO a better option for pocket carry.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have both sizes of Manix and I think the regular size would be better for EDC, although I will carry mine for EDC occasionally.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The fact that the s110V Lightweight is only $20 more than the standard and you get such a huge bump in steel is pretty outrageous. There is literally not a knife in the lineup I wouldn't pay an extra $20 to get in s110v.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I would agree with many of the others: regular size Manix 2 over the XL for the first go, and definitely look at the S110V lightweight version! It's now a standard stock item (although who knows how many will stay afloat in the wild), and with the over a dozen Manix 2's I have, I now recommend that one as the best to start with the series. It is super light and grippy and as David mentioned too, if you can get one in S110V with any handle material, it's worth it! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King