Bring back the Mini Manix!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Bring back the Mini Manix!

Post by dgebler »

All the buzz about the S110V lightweight manix (mine is out for delivery today) has me thinking about the Manix series in general and I think it would be a huge hit if they brought back the mini-manix. Either in the original backlock configuration or with the CBBL (or even better the ceramic BBL). I know the old ones are hard to find but I was looking at a few pictures and they look like great EDC knives.

Just imagine...S110V, FFG, Ceramic BBL Mini-Manix with peel-ply CF...that would be one awesome knife and I think it would sell like hotcakes. Even just G-10, S30V with the standard CBBL would be a winner.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

It's like Manix mania all of a sudden. The fuse was lit with the XL S90V (really like mine) and now the bombdiggity is the LW S110V.
I bet some other knife makers are pulling their hair out over this latest release at its price point. Here's hoping we see even more releases in S110V.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I would love a mini manix with a cbbl. That would be awsome
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I'd be in line for pretty much any small, but normal-shaped CF knife with a CBBL. No poliwogs or dodos for me, thanks!
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm in!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Holland

Post by Holland »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:I'd be in line for pretty much any small, but normal-shaped CF knife with a CBBL. No poliwogs or dodos for me, thanks!
I feel the same way
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

The s110v low manic has me looking at the manic series
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Of all Spyderco's knife families, the Manix one is my most favorite, and it has been since I first put my hands on one. But I don't have or want every model. I'm more than satisfied with my Manix2s in XHP and M4, and my XL in S90V; and I'm looking forward to the Lightweight in S110V.

However, I do have an eye peeled for certain original Manixes, including the Mini.

Were the Mini to be reintroduced, I'd ask for a compression lock (my favorite) so the Manix's flowthrough (another feature I favor) could be fully realized, but I'm not going to hold my breath, or see the Manixes I own in a lesser light for want of this lock. The CBBL is a rock.

All this said, when Spyderco offers tool steels (or exotic steels that Japan does not jealously guard), I wish they'd tempt us first in the Manix package...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I agree. Here's my 80mm labeled MM

I know most don't like serrations but I do.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I thought about this awhile back. Would an original backlock mini Manix rerelease be way too close to the Native 5 G10 though? A CBBL mini Manix also might as well be a CBBL Native 5 but that would make more sense, at least there is a bigger difference.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FCM415 wrote:I thought about this awhile back. Would an original backlock mini Manix rerelease be way too close to the Native 5 G10 though? A CBBL mini Manix also might as well be a CBBL Native 5 but that would make more sense, at least there is a bigger difference.
I've sort of regarded my Native5 as a Mini-Mini-Manix. I do love it only marginally less than my Manixes...

dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Personally just not a fan of the Native 5 (I know sorry). I had the forum native and I love my brown frn cts-xhp native but I just think the blade shape on the ffg native 5 looks goofy. This is just my opinion, but I really think the mini manix just looks better.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'd keep the 80/83mm Manix in the exact same style as released. The mid lock makes a **** of a noise when it's opened, and the 4mm stock is so beefy compared to the Manix2. If the steel were upgraded to Cruwear with a forum-knife-specific handle, I'd drool all over my keyboard.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Holland

Post by Holland »

Clip wrote:I'd keep the 80/83mm Manix in the exact same style as released. The mid lock makes a **** of a noise when it's opened, and the 4mm stock is so beefy compared to the Manix2. If the steel were upgraded to Cruwear with a forum-knife-specific handle, I'd drool all over my keyboard.
That would be an epic knife indeed
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Clip wrote:I'd keep the 80/83mm Manix in the exact same style as released. The mid lock makes a **** of a noise when it's opened, and the 4mm stock is so beefy compared to the Manix2. If the steel were upgraded to Cruwear with a forum-knife-specific handle, I'd drool all over my keyboard.
Oh yeah, I'd go for this suggestion, and still look for the original ones.

ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

swigert wrote:Mini manix sprint would be a great forum knife for this year. Just sayin.
Oh yeah
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought Sal mentioned that Eric was considering doing a re-release of the lock back Manix, not sure if it was the Mini or full sized version, with the tweaks to the lock that we see in the Native 5.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
black

Post by black »

Kylems11 wrote:I would love a mini manix with a cbbl. That would be awsome
What would be the difference to the manix 2?
v8r

Post by v8r »

Just so you know the Manix II is almost the exact same external dimensions as the C103 or 83mm Manix. The Manix II XL is the same size as the Original C95. So in a nutshell we already have a Mini Manix ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
v8r

Post by v8r »

Donut wrote:I thought Sal mentioned that Eric was considering doing a re-release of the lock back Manix, not sure if it was the Mini or full sized version, with the tweaks to the lock that we see in the Native 5.
When I talked to Eric 2 years ago at Blade show he said he was wanting to do a C95 with polished Carbon Fiber scales and similar pivot/lock refinements as the Native 5. If that ever happens that will be the Manix by which all others will be judged. The lock I think would be almost as strong as a fixed blade. The reason I say this is my N5 has probably the strongest lock up (for a backlock) of any Spyderco I own, and with the thicker blade stock of the c95 it should be crazy strong.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p