Bring back the Mini Manix!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

v8r wrote:Just so you know the Manix II is almost the exact same external dimensions as the C103 or 83mm Manix. The Manix II XL is the same size as the Original C95. So in a nutshell we already have a Mini Manix ;)
The C101 "Mini" Manix has a 4mm-thick blade that sets it apart from the successors. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
v8r

Post by v8r »

wrdwrght wrote:The C101 "Mini" Manix has a 4mm-thick blade that sets it apart from the successors. :rolleyes:
Yes I know. I used to own one, and many other Manix variations ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:I'd keep the 80/83mm Manix in the exact same style as released. The mid lock makes a **** of a noise when it's opened, and the 4mm stock is so beefy compared to the Manix2. If the steel were upgraded to Cruwear with a forum-knife-specific handle, I'd drool all over my keyboard.
Love the way you think Chris!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MachSchnell wrote:Kind of makes me think of this. http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Mini-Manix
Nice thread revival. I loved that modification. I wonder if we could see some Mini Manix S110V mods with conversion to G-10 handles?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Personally I think the original Mini-Manix kicks butt. I prefer it to the new Manix 2 any day of the week. I wish I could just get another Mini-Manix with an S30V blade and a back lock. No changes at all, please just do a Mini-Manix sprint.

The current Manix 2 is not even close to what the original was. It should have been named differently IMO.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
prime77

Post by prime77 »

My beater mini Manix's. One of my favorites.

Image[/URL]
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I know the spec's show the same (or similar) size, but something just looks different about the proportions of that Mini Manix compared to my Manix 2 LW. I love the sturdy back lock, liners without the extra jimping, overall handle shape and blade profile, lanyard hole size and placement, 4 way clip placement, blade stock thickness...what else?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

dgebler wrote:I know the spec's show the same (or similar) size, but something just looks different about the proportions of that Mini Manix compared to my Manix 2 LW. I love the sturdy back lock, liners without the extra jimping, overall handle shape and blade profile, lanyard hole size and placement, 4 way clip placement, blade stock thickness...what else?
Exactly. People can argue all day long that they are similar but they really are not. Here is what I consider to be better on the original Manix and Mini-Manix.

• Clip placement
  • Lanyard hole
  • Lack of jimping on the handles
  • Back lock
  • Better G10
  • No jimping on the finger choil
  • Thicker blade
I feel like Spyderco has gone jimp-crazy. No need for it all over the handle and on the choil and thumbramp.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'd buy one, but I'd much rather see a Golden-made Starmate as a Forum Knife. (Original pattern--shield inlay, etc.)
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

When did the mini manix come out? I wish they were still available. Do they make plain edge versions?
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Kylems11 wrote:When did the mini manix come out? I wish they were still available. Do they make plain edge versions?
I think 2005 or 2006. Heck yeah they made plain edge. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe the Lil Temp2 will fill the gap between original Mini Manix and the current Manix2. I highly doubt it will be a lockback but it should check off enough boxes to make people happy(ish).
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:I'd be in line for pretty much any small, but normal-shaped CF knife with a CBBL. No poliwogs or dodos for me, thanks!
Ye, no poliwogs for me either. But Dodo is pretty much normal shaped for me :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

It looks like I am in minority here. I strongly prefer C95 to mini.
Donut wrote:I thought Sal mentioned that Eric was considering doing a re-release of the lock back Manix, with the tweaks to the lock that we see in the Native 5.
I hope it will be C95 Manix with 4mm blade. S110V, dark green G10 will make me very happy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Blerv wrote:Maybe the Lil Temp2 will fill the gap between original Mini Manix and the current Manix2. I highly doubt it will be a lockback but it should check off enough boxes to make people happy(ish).
Details on this please. I am a huge fan of the original Lil' Temp as well. Great knife. I also loved that knife and still think it needs no changes. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

David Lowry wrote:Details on this please. I am a huge fan of the original Lil' Temp as well. Great knife. I also loved that knife and still think it needs no changes. :)
No new info really, just that it's still in the works and nobody wants it changed. :p
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Blerv wrote:No new info really, just that it's still in the works and nobody wants it changed. :p
It was just so good as it was.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I have a theory that the new power lock will be used in any new release of the original Manix models.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **