G10 vs frn vs frcp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Re: G10 vs frn vs frcp

Post by JAfromMN »

Frn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Will Rogers wrote:This is a very interesting thread. I generally prefer lightweight knives (under 3 ounces) - but I also prefer G10 to FRN, although the only G10 knife I currently have is a Kershaw Skyline, which weighs about 2.3 ounces. So I don't really get why there aren't an Spyderco knives with G10 in the same weight range. Also, the Paramilitary 2, which is regarded by many as the closest you can get to the perfect EDC knife, has G10 scales. If FRN is lighter and better, why is the PM2 still made with G10? Obviously Spyderco is making some marketing decisions that are not in synch with the ongoing debates on Spyderco Forums regarding handle materials.
When Spyderco introduces a new folder design, they typically do so in G10. FRN molds are very expensive and G10 allows them to introduce a new model, get all the design kinks out and see how popular it's going to be before investing in FRN molds. The PM2 has been out for years and is obviously plenty successful to introduce an frn model. Pure speculation on my part but I imagine the reason we haven't yet seen the frn model is because Spyderco has been selling the g10 model faster than they could make them. Just like the Manix platform though, we will likely see an frn model in the near future.
arty

Post by arty »

I used to prefer G10, but the hole in my pocket from the Worker changed my thinking. I carry in pocket, without the clip. I prefer CF or FRN to G10. I like a lighter knife and somewhat smaller. When I first got the Worker, it displaced my Chaparral. The Chaparral is back now.
I would rather have the Stretch in FRN than G10 for carry. For looking at a knife, G10, when done well looks good. However, I use my knives and there are more attractive handle materials than G10.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, you cannot beat that Bi-directional texturing on the FRN. It is smooth yet locks in the hand like nothing else.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

This is a tough call. I don't have any experience with FRCP, but I was kind of turned off to it after reading a review of the Manix LW that said it feels like holding a lego.

I appreciate the lightweight factor of FRN, and also really like the bi-directional texturing. At the same time, I also like the extra heft of G-10. It inspires confidence and feels more rigid than FRN. I don't have any experience of FRN being weak, so I suppose it's just a perception. I also happen to like the peel-ply feel of G-10.

Guess I can't say I prefer one over the other. I like both for different reasons and in different situations.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Anymore, my Para 2 is my only G-10 knife, all the others are FRN or FRCP. After buying a Manix 2 LW, I gave my "heavy weight" to a friend. Now I wait to buy a new model to see if it will be offered in FRN later.
harronek

Post by harronek »

To my uttermost surprise , I've become a FRN enthusiast .

Ken
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I kind of have mixed feelings on the subject. I agree that g10 can give a knife a bit more "high end" appearance and it offers at least the illusion of a stronger build, but in actual use I'm a huge fan of frn. I use my knives in wet and bloody/slippery conditions a lot and frn is my material of choice. Even when the handle of my Salts are covered in fish goo, the frn texture still provides plenty of grip. G10 on the other hand will become slippery in the same conditions. I also prefer how frn feels in the pocket. Seems like it's not as tough on my clothes or on my hand going in and out of the pocket. So yeah, though frn might not be the fanciest material for a knife handle, I find it to be one of the most functional.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I'm all about function more than anything else. I absolutely love G10, however my folder of choice if I could only have one would be an FRN model. Just because FRN is freaking' bullet proof (not literally).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
caitbwebs

Post by caitbwebs »

I like G10 in theory but not in use. As for FRN vs FRCP I *LOVE* the FRCP on my Manix LW. It definitely feels different from FRN but it's not bad at all. I'd love to see more knives with it.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

@Surfingringo I didn't realize that Spyderco releases first versions of knives in G10 and then goes to FRN or CF after the handle design is finalized. Thanks for the explanation. That explains why I can't find knives that I like (such as the Caly 3 which I have in CF) that were originally released in G10. OK, then I will quit complaining. I love the Caly 3 in CF , but the handle is so smooth as to have almost no grip. That's why I was looking at knives with G10 handles, which are certainly grippier than smooth CF. I should add that there are a lot of Spyderco fans out there who prefer G10 to FRN despite its drawbacks.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ejames13 wrote:Guess I can't say I prefer one over the other. I like both for different reasons and in different situations.
^ Me too!! I have several of each and it's a toss up for me! I love having options!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Ya know, at first I couldn't stand frn/frcp and was all about the G10 but over the last year or so I've been carrying my SB and HAP's and am actually really starting to like them. At first they just seemed like cheap plastic handles but I've come to realize and appreciate how lite they are and how easy they are to clean and the bi-directional texture really works well for traction when wet. I think I've done a complete 180, I still love me some G10 but them plastic handles aren't so bad after all. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
harronek

Post by harronek »

I'm quite surprised at the amount of FRN love being shown here in the responses .
As I stated in an earlier post I'm a recent convert to the stuff .
I assumed that the majority of people here would prefer G10 , but it seems that knife users
( note - a knife user is different from a knife fondler ) really do appreciate FRN .

Ken
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I signed up to revive this thread. My first post!

I have a dark blue Manix 2 LW s110 coming second hand. I didn't know that there were two models and I don't know if i'll be getting FRCP or FRN. I just received my first FRCP (maxamet manix 2 lw) and i was surprised it was so slippery compared to FRN Delica.

Is there a way to make the smooth parts of the FRCP grippier? sanding? the FRN on delica smooth parts are perfect. I expected FRCP to be like that.

oh and btw Freakin spyderco is draining my wallet bad. Already thew away my Para 3 sv30 box since I use it so much. Got 2 more coming in the mail!

Eli Chaps

Re:

Post by Eli Chaps »

Strong-Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm
Hang on, maybe I'm missing something and someone can help me out. So if I understand correctly, you guys aren't just saying you like FRN more than G10 for the money, but you actually prefer FRN to G10? As in if two of the same knives were the same price and one had FRN and one had G10, you would choose the FRN model?
I would yes. I love FRN and don't mind FRCP. Lightweight, resilient, durable, grippy without eating pockets. Yep I love the stuff and think it is a functionally superior handle material than G10. I think polymers get a bad rap on the internet and it just becomes perpetuated rhetoric.

I'm not knocking all those who love G10. More power to all of us for having choices!

EDIT:. Whoops, didn't realize the date of the quoted post.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would choose G10 or frn depending on the uses I would anticipate having for a specific knife. Like Lance noted earlier, heavy, slippery, bloody knife work requires a material that will retain its frictional properties. I don’t want to get cut due to a slippery handle. Otherwise, a different material, even like stainless or Ti might be better from an esthetic view, but that is surely personal preference.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have not tried FRCP yet but I like FRN the best but the G10 on Spyderco knives is such quality I like it. I received my Spyderco Byrd Raven 2 and it is greater and better than even I expected. The G10 handle is perfectly machined and formed and is comfortable and durable.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I got my FRCP dark blue manix, and I'm disapointed it wasn't the older FRN version.

Also the ball bearing lock makes a squeaky noise if you move it side to side when closed. Gonna tighten it a little more see if goes away.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:19 pm
I got my FRCP dark blue manix, and I'm disapointed it wasn't the older FRN version.
No need for disappointment. There has never been a FRN version of the Manix 2 LW. They've all been FRCP.

I honestly can't feel the difference between FRCP and the FRN that comes from Golden. I just had my lady close her eyes and handed her a Manix 2 LW and a Native 5 LW. They both felt the same to her. The FRN that comes on the Seki City knives does feel a little different. I still maintain that the difference is from the finish on the molds they use and it's not from the materials themselves.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!