Will Spyderco continue to produce the FRCP Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Will Spyderco continue to produce the FRCP Manix 2?

Post by Spydersense »

Since the FRN LW is being produced now, will Spyderco continue to produce the FRCP version, or will they discontinue it?
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Depends on sales I would guess, the FRCP has the advantage of being $25 less and an easier to sharpen steel (for those who prefer ease of sharpening over edge holding).
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

JMO, but I would think so. It provides product at a different price point so potentially two different markets (with some obvious overlap). Still, I expect the answer to that remains to be seen. If the new S110V robs too much business from the CTS-BD1 then Spyderco may find no reason to sell both. Time and sales will tell the tale.

Opinion only. :)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I'd like the frcp with s30v myself. I actually prefer the translucent look. Would love a lime green one!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Valid points folks.

I like the sound of lime green also Paddy. Smoke gray would be nice too. :cool:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

Smoke gray would be really cool! I think there is a demonstrable market for the translucent frcp models.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Sign me up for smoke gray too! As to FRN vs FRCP I really don't care. They both work good IMHO.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I hope that sales justify the continued production of the FRCP, but I know that I have 2 of them and am unlikely to buy another with the s110v option available. I already have 2 of the s110v on the way, though. :)
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I'd rather have the s110v in the frcp myself. Like I stated in another thread, I own 3 different frn handled knives. Love them for work cuz they are inexpensive to replace and I am not hesitant to really use the hell out of them. I'd buy frcp over frn if it was offered in more models simply because I like it better. Has a more rigid feel in my opinion.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Paddy B wrote:I'd rather have the s110v in the frcp myself. Like I stated in another thread, I own 3 different frn handled knives. Love them for work cuz they are inexpensive to replace and I am not hesitant to really use the hell out of them. I'd buy frcp over frn if it was offered in more models simply because I like it better. Has a more rigid feel in my opinion.
My findings are the opposite, FRN>FRCP but that is what makes the world go round!
Kiwi_Digger

Post by Kiwi_Digger »

Paddy B wrote:I'd like the frcp with s30v myself. I actually prefer the translucent look. Would love a lime green one!

I really like this idea.. s30v is the business
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I hope they don't stop producing it, I really like the trans blue FRCP but I do prefer FRN. I like it has some flex and does hold up fairly well in extreme situations. I got the blue FRCP, the new FRN dark blue on the way. But now you got me thinking maybe I should get the black FRCP before they are gone.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Paddy B wrote:I'd rather have the s110v in the frcp myself. Like I stated in another thread, I own 3 different frn handled knives. Love them for work cuz they are inexpensive to replace and I am not hesitant to really use the hell out of them. I'd buy frcp over frn if it was offered in more models simply because I like it better. Has a more rigid feel in my opinion.
The FRN used in the new S110V model is extremely close in texture to the FRCP Manix 2. It has that same hard, rigid quality. Not at all like most other FRN Spyderco uses. So, I bet you'd like it.
:bug-red-white
timlara

Post by timlara »

gbelleh wrote:The FRN used in the new S110V model is extremely close in texture to the FRCP Manix 2.
I agree and thought the same thing when I got my S110V Manix. I even did the blindfolded "figure out which model this is" test and couldn't feel the difference between them unless I cheated by checking the torx pivot vs. pinned (on the FRCP). The weight is almost identical as well, with my FRN (110V) model being 2g lighter for some reason. To me the only perceptible difference is visual, as some people didn't like the translucent look. I get the feeling Spyderco tried to keep everything else but the look the same because "if it ain't broken"...
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

Paddy B wrote:I'd like the frcp with s30v myself. I actually prefer the translucent look. Would love a lime green one!
Kiwi_Digger wrote:I really like this idea.. s30v is the business
This was the original suggestion but Spyderco had other ideas and, as far as I'm concerned, this model is a much better offering than FRCP + S30V. Of course that is just my opinion, but initially I felt the same. :)
gbelleh wrote:The FRN used in the new S110V model is extremely close in texture to the FRCP Manix 2. It has that same hard, rigid quality. Not at all like most other FRN Spyderco uses. So, I bet you'd like it.
timlara wrote:I agree and thought the same thing when I got my S110V Manix. I even did the blindfolded "figure out which model this is" test and couldn't feel the difference between them unless I cheated by checking the torx pivot vs. pinned (on the FRCP). The weight is almost identical as well, with my FRN (110V) model being 2g lighter for some reason. To me the only perceptible difference is visual, as some people didn't like the translucent look. I get the feeling Spyderco tried to keep everything else but the look the same because "if it ain't broken"...
I agree with you guys. Aside from appearance, I can't really tell any difference between the FRCP on the CTS-BD1 & the FRN on the S110V. The feel & texture is very similar between the two.
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had the FRCP for a bit before I traded it. I prefer the FRN.

I don't have any hard evidence as to why I like it more.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

That would be pretty cool to see! :D