Food-Safe Lube for Salt Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Superpacker

Food-Safe Lube for Salt Series

Post by Superpacker »

Hey gang! Bought my first Spydie last week, Dragonfly Salt. Fantastic knife. Live on the coast and already had it in wet environs a lot. My question is about lube. While I know it typically doesn't need to be done often, my thought is that with this knife getting wet so much, both in normal use, and washing it out after, the lube will get washed out quicker than normal. Additionally, I feel like lube can help compensate for small amounts of trapped grit.

I am looking for food safe lube. While 9 of 10 times it won't be an issue, being a Scoutmaster, I want the option to use it for such. Recommendations, please? Thoughts are also welcome to the frequency of lubing the Salt series.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

They are awesome knives. I have mine on the ocean daily and they are quite often covered in fish goo...and I have never lubed them with anything. If they get too grimy I give em a quick swish in the ocean and occasionally I'll rinse em off with a hose. That's it! That's all I've ever done and they all work like the day I got em! Really incredible knives. Enjoy that salt!!

Edit: I felt like a neglectful parent after writing this so I think I'll hit em all with some wd40 just for grins. :D
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got this one and it is food safe, works well.
http://www.shop.aegissolutionsknifecare ... r-0104.htm
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

No lube for my H1 blades and they are doing fine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Food grade mineral oil. Buy a whole bottle at the drug store for a few bucks and you'll have enough lube for 5 lifetimes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:Food grade mineral oil. Buy a whole bottle at the drug store for a few bucks and you'll have enough lube for 5 lifetimes.
+1 -I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and have barely dented it. I'm sure there are better lubricants available, but for cheap, readily available and food safe, this is hard to beat.
:spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Another vote for food grade mineral oil. Use it on my carbon steel Case knives and my straight razor. Works great and pretty cheap. Just don't drink the stuff.....
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Another happy user of Frog Lube here!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

food grade mineral oil it is used as a laxative don't ask me how I know :D
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Another vote for Mineral Oil.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
LC Kid

Why Lube a Salt Blade?

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I've never need any kind of lube on my Salt blades.
:spyder: Since the H1 steel moves against a FRN handle the friction is minimal. And they usually get soaked wet, so there's plenty 'water lube' around. :D If you want a 100% food safe lube nothing beats Mineral Oil. Again, there's no need for lube in water environment use Salt blades.
Stay Sharp!
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

No need for oil on H1. I have used the **** out of mine and left it sitting underwater overnight, without any rust formation.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Superpacker

But What about the Pivot?

Post by Superpacker »

Great responses guys! I guess I should have clarified my concern, however. I'm not concerned with lubing the blade or rust prevention with the H1. I'm just not sure about lubing the pivot and if that friction (especially if not all the sand gets out right away), will wear it down.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Superpacker wrote:Great responses guys! I guess I should have clarified my concern, however. I'm not concerned with lubing the blade or rust prevention with the H1. I'm just not sure about lubing the pivot and if that friction (especially if not all the sand gets out right away), will wear it down.
It obviously won't hurt to lube it, but I really just don't think it's needed. It's steel against frn and very low friction. Rinse it off and it's good to go. That's been my experience through a TON of dirty use. One of the best designed work knives I've ever seen!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

There is no need for pivot lube on the H1 knives, just rinse it with hot running water and mild dishsoap.
Superpacker

Post by Superpacker »

Surfinggringo & Opusxpn, great responses. That makes sense. All the more reason to love this knife. It's such a great knife!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This thread needs pictures!!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

While Frog Lube is non toxic, it adds a nasty taste to food. I do not lube my H1 blades, and if I lube my other knifes, I now use mineral oil.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I use my knife often so the olive oil I use doesn't have time to turn rancid.