Question about super blue stretch.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

Question about super blue stretch.

Post by Kylems11 »

Can anyone telle why there is a line going down the length of the blade? Is that just how super blue steel is made? Is there a term for this?
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The blade is a laminated.
The Stretch is a purpose-designed folding hunting knife that is also ideal for a broad range of everyday chores. This unique limited-edition version combines the proven design and ergonomics of this popular knife with the exceptional cutting performance of Super Blue steel. Produced by Hitachi Metals Ltd. of Japan, Aogami Super Blue steel combines the same high quality iron sand used in legendary Japanese swords with high-tech alloys to create a steel capable of extreme sharpness and edge retention. The blade of the Stretch Super Blue features a Super Blue core sandwiched between layers of 420J1 stainless steel. Full flat ground for exceptional edge geometry, this knife is available in limited quantities and is sure to be one of the most coveted Stretch variants ever produced.

See: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=876
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It means you don't have to worry about corrosion in the pivot area, but get the cutting performance of carbon steel. The portion below the line (The SuperBlue core) will darken as it takes on a patina, but the stainless cladding won't.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Oh, and I forgot to mention...the carbon fiber handled Caly 3 and 3.5 are also laminated, though the ZDP-189 core isn't nearly as corrosion prone as SuperBlue. It won't really take on much of a patina...MAYBE a slight darkening, but more likely some minor pitting if you don't dry it off after it gets wet. ZDP-189 has 20% Chromium, and most steels are considered stainless if they have ~12% Chromium, but because the carbon content of ZDP-189 is so high (3%) it's not quite stainless.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yep. Imagine three pieces of bread. Two pieces of white with a piece of rye in the middle. Cut those slices at an angle and it should look like a tasty version of the Superblue knives. :)
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Thanks guys
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

OK guys, so which would y'all say is sharper out of the box, zdp189 or super blue? Thx fellas.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Factory sharpness is on the same very high level. The knives I got in both of those steels easily shave.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Commendatore wrote:Factory sharpness is on the same very high level. The knives I got in both of those steels easily shave.
Thank you. Again, I'm so new to this. I need to study things furthermore. Just look over me fellas.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I do think SB takes a better edge over ZDP, plus I do like patinas.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Pretty sure I'm gonna get a Stretch Super Blue.
Holland

Post by Holland »

MacLaren wrote:Pretty sure I'm gonna get a Stretch Super Blue.
I'm still waiting for my local knife store to fill my preorder... starting to lose confidence
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Knfieworks still has them available

NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...have 2 super blue stretches on the way...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

NeverEnough wrote:...have 2 super blue stretches on the way...
Will that be enough, do you think? :D
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Does anyone use his Superblue to peel fruit or other foodstuff? Do you have the same nasty taste from the patina?
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Nate

Post by Nate »

I haven't used my SB knives for food prep yet, but I do have a kitchen utility knife in white #2 (Tojiro Shirogami) that has seen a lot of use. I noticed a metallic taste at first, especially on more acidic fruits. I remember this with strawberries in particular. As a patina built up, things seemed to stabilize though and I don't notice any off taste on the food anymore.
:spyder:
fot0

Post by fot0 »

Blerv wrote:Yep. Imagine three pieces of bread. Two pieces of white with a piece of rye in the middle. Cut those slices at an angle and it should look like a tasty version of the Superblue knives. :)
My fav explanation yet!