Delica 4 lockup after 3 years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Delica 4 lockup after 3 years

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just wanted to share this. It's one of my dad's Delica 4's that I took to sharpen for him. He currently switches between a FFG D4, a Saber ground D4 (pictured) and a Benchmade 943.

I took the Delica apart to clean it, oil it, and then put it back together to sharpen it. I just felt like sharing the lockup after 3 years. Great lock and a great knife.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx David.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I appreciate it Sal! It always means something coming from you.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Oh great. You have a 3-year old Delica that's been used and has a solid lockup and I can't buy a **** new Caly 3.5 that locks-up solidly. Go figure.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Not one of my Spyderco lockbacks has significant play, and most are absolutely rock solid. Holland can vouch for that, as he's seen all of them. I seem to be really lucky at getting solid lockbacks.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Ned

Post by Ned »

My Caly 3 locks up so tight it feels like a fixed blade. My Delica trainer has seen serious use every day for weeks now and have had no issues whatsoever.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

There's a tiny amount of vertical play but it had that since it was new. It hasn't changed much at all. If anything it's gotten better due to how the lock is cut.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

my Byrd Rescue has zero vertical or horizontal play after 2 plus years of abuse. The only issue I had with the lock was the Boye dent is too shallow and using the knife with fishing gloves on disengaged the lock at first. It hasn't happened once I figured out the cause. For Spyderco's bargain brand the difference in fit and finish is barely noticeable. I've never had a problem with a Spyderco lockback.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

My beloved endura 4 ffg has a tiny bit of up play. I can only feel it when I am cutting with end of the blade, or if I grab it tight and pull up on the blade. The whole lock moves when it happens, and I don't really consider it "vertical play" because it doesn't wiggle up and down like its loose. Kind of annoying but I don't think it affects the performance of the lock. I have heard of this type of thing happening with enduras, and back locks in general.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Nice picture. Looks like the lock is breaking in nicely!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris