Anyone else excited for the Native 5 Carbon Fiber??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ViperGTS

Anyone else excited for the Native 5 Carbon Fiber??

Post by ViperGTS »

I don't own any other Natives but this one seems like a must have.

Will the CF be like that on the Chap or the Caly? Or neither?

This will also be my first knife with S110v

Sorry if this has been covered already, I searched and didn't see anything.

Any ETA on a release?

Thanks!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I am not a CF guy, wanted a native light weight specially the brown one KC has, but I learned they are coming out with a new Native 5 light weight soon. So I am holding funds to purchase that one and that one does get me excited.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I thought I read that the carbon fiber is peel ply which is my favourite type. I'm very excited for this knife as it will be my first Native. I don't know when it may be released but I know it won't be soon enough.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I see the Native 4 had a CF version but used VG10. I understood VG10 to be used on the Japanese models and not the US ones. Am I wrong? The Native 4 had the slick CF like on the Caly which is not my favorite. The CF on the Chap is killer.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've pre-ordered one, and while I'm anxious to get it, the recent announcement of a production S110V Manix2 Lightweight eases my anxiety. I want the steel and take the scales as they come. It happens I like the bluish Manix2 Lightweight's FRN scales no less than CF...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
paladin

Post by paladin »

yup!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am waiting for this knife. I love FFG Natives. The knife is certainly will be highlight of 2014, but I doubt that it will kick-out 2013 Forum Native out of my pocket. I love dark green much more than any CF.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

At the OKCA they had a fluted one with the same pattern as the fluted Ti. That was awesome.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Native 3 and 4 were made in Japan and had VG-10 steel. The 4 had slick CF scales much like the Caly 3/3.5 CF.

I'm not too interested in this CF Native 5, only because I have lots of peel ply CF already, and a Forum Native 5 (and I really like the dark green G-10). But, if I didn't have the Forum knife, I'd likely be all over this one. It should be very nice!
:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have one on pre-order.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

gbelleh wrote:The Native 3 and 4 were made in Japan and had VG-10 steel. The 4 had slick CF scales much like the Caly 3/3.5 CF.

I'm not too interested in this CF Native 5, only because I have lots of peel ply CF already, and a Forum Native 5 (and I really like the dark green G-10). But, if I didn't have the Forum knife, I'd likely be all over this one. It should be very nice!

Thanks for the info! What knife currently has this peel ply? Is it textured like the Sage or Chap?
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

JNewell wrote:I have one on pre-order.
As do I. ;)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I have a Chap so I may pass on the CF version. The LWT 5 version interest me though.
paladin

Post by paladin »

SolidState wrote:At the OKCA they had a fluted one with the same pattern as the fluted Ti. That was awesome.
c'mon SolidState, you're killin us here...you can't just sign off with "That was awesome..."

When you get a genuine Area 51 quality encounter of the third kind of the latest, greatest scale innovation from Spyderco that's been flying under the radar for 13+ months you know you're gonna get "interrogated" & give up the goods. I am talkin' sweatboxes & hot, bright lights in your eyes!

Now give up the goods on:

i. weight if you did not have a scale app. on your smartphone , then at least a comparative analysis.
ii. steel --ordinary supersteel, supersupersteel, or superdupersupersteel
iii. hardware , or lack thereof
iv. pics, film, video, you know the drill..."pics or it didn't happen!"

Ok, I'm joking :p ...I know you can't honorably divulge most of that stuff, but you can do better than "awesome"...please? :D
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

It's one ice been waiting for a long time it feels like. Can someone confirm the CF finish? I'd certainly prefer peel ply because I like functional knives. I am really impressed with the new manufacturing techniques used to make the Native 5 backlock so precisely. If I recall they cut them with wire EDM as opposed to laser (I'm guessing) that the other backlocks are cut with.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have had one on preorder from GPKnives for nearly a year, and lately they've been sending reminder emails every two weeks (last three months or so). My order states "peel ply CF" if that is any sort of confirmation. I am very excited to see this one and we've waited patiently for a while now. Hopefully in the next two months?

Maybe someone dropped the Native mold moving it into the expanded facility... Could be why there's so few of them...? ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

paladin wrote: Now give up the goods on:
i. weight if you did not have a scale app. on your smartphone , then at least a comparative analysis.
ii. steel --ordinary supersteel, supersupersteel, or superdupersupersteel
iii. hardware , or lack thereof
iv. pics, film, video, you know the drill..."pics or it didn't happen!"
Weight was on par with the normal lightweight. The new FRCP lightweight seemed a bit lighter. I could be wrong though. We're talking a few grams.
I never report the steel because the crucible seminar was that morning and they were talking about an American M390 equivalent, and it was clear Sal was like a kid in a candy store during the whole metallurgy seminar. I know Crucible is making more of the 154-clad steel, because I heard it from the horse's mouth. I wouldn't put it past them to do a whole bunch of stuff with any of the new steels coming out, especially on a knife that nice in the handle.
The hardware was normal.
The CF was radiused and had the same pattern as the titanium model. It was super comfortable.
I can't take pictures because that would ruin my ability to see prototypes every year.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
paladin

Post by paladin »

:spyder: wow...just...wow :spyder:

You really did us a "Solid"...

BUT...

I may have been better off not knowing all the intel because now I am officially... OBSESSED!!! :eek:

I knew you couldn't take pics...was just kidding around...

Funny mental image of Sal, SALivating over new supersteel specs...you made my evening!!! :p

And seriously, SolidState, thanks for all the other 411 ! :D
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I was excited for it, was even saving my Forum Native in pristine condition to be able to trade when it came out, but honestly it's been so long now that I've sort of lost interest. I'm also not the hugest fan of the Native format - I finally broke down and carried my forum version, and wasn't particularly impressed. I have lots of other knives in a similar size to the Native which I prefer. And to me, I know how to sharpen a knife, and typically don't find so-called "super steels" to feel all that special in real day to day use, so the S110v doesn't do a lot for me.

I'm far more excited for the fluted CF para 2 (which I've also been waiting for forever), and the Dice than I am for this particular blade.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Holland

Post by Holland »

I am excited, if not for my self, just to see pictures of other people using it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE