Gayle Bradley Air or Al Mar Ultralight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Gayle Bradley Air or Al Mar Ultralight?

Post by Blerv »

Ned's thread just a few days ago really got me amped up for a small gents folder :) . I was considering an Al Mar just because of the classic lines, nice point, and polished micarta. The Air seems vastly superior (in materials) though for not much more money.

Does anyone have both or even just the Al Mar to say some words about it? I was thinking about the Falcon model with the 3.15" blade and pocket clip vs the Air. I really have no problem with AUS-8 and a thin blade; it would mostly be a light duty office knife or one to carry when I'm around people who aren't cutlery fans. Ease of sharpening and not fussing with patina isn't a bad thing either.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Air is a nice piece, but I wasn't totally convinced.
I think the second cutout for the lock is quite useless.
My Al Mar Hawk in the European variant with nailnick sees definitely more pocket time, feels more classy to me.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Having owned an Air and having normal-size fingers, I agree with Marcus. I love the look of those Ultralights with the black linen micarta.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Perhaps the Air would be a more classic looking knife with scales like these

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Those Viele's are certainly class. :D
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Al Mar is made by Moki, a FINE knife.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Don't have the Al Mar, but love my GB Air!
Ned

Post by Ned »

I've never seen the Al Mar, it looks like a very well crafted piece. I think at some point I will get a true pocket-knife/gentlemans folder I have not ruled out the Air. I really do like the look of the Memory.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I think the Al Mar's looks really great, but the one's I've handled have been pretty stiff to open.

The other issue to consider is that if this is going to be your "public knife" for use around the knife adverse, a 3", ultra pointy, black handled knife may not be the answer. For guys like us, the Al Mar is the height of class; for many sheeple, it's going to look like a pretty menacing shiv.

Personally for public use, I like to go for something that can't be construed as a weapon. The G10 Manbug is a great option. It's classy, capable, and non-threatening - very much the gentleman's backup blade.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

mark greenman wrote:I think the Al Mar's looks really great, but the one's I've handled have been pretty stiff to open.

The other issue to consider is that if this is going to be your "public knife" for use around the knife adverse, a 3", ultra pointy, black handled knife may not be the answer. For guys like us, the Al Mar is the height of class; for many sheeple, it's going to look like a pretty menacing shiv.

Personally for public use, I like to go for something that can't be construed as a weapon. The G10 Manbug is a great option. It's classy, capable, and non-threatening - very much the gentleman's backup blade.

Thanks for the input, Mark.

At the moment I'm considering saying goodbye to a CF Kiwi for a different gents knife. Maybe a regrind like Paul had done would make for the ultimate little sleeper.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Blerv wrote:At the moment I'm considering saying goodbye to a CF Kiwi for a different gents knife.
Don't do it, you're gonna miss a beauty like this

Ned

Post by Ned »

MarcusH wrote:Don't do it, you're gonna miss a beauty like this

Is this Kiwi easier to open than the Kiwi 3; I find my K3 nearly impossible to open one handed? I have big hands with long fingers.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

MarcusH wrote:Don't do it, you're gonna miss a beauty like this
Yea, regret is quickly becoming my middle name :o
Ned wrote:Is this Kiwi easier to open than the Kiwi 3; I find my K3 nearly impossible to open one handed? I have big hands with long fingers.
The one I have is really easy to open. The Slipit lockspring of the 4 adds a TON of detent pressure. Great for traveling, not so much for one-hand use.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Ned wrote:Is this Kiwi easier to open than the Kiwi 3; I find my K3 nearly impossible to open one handed? I have big hands with long fingers.
Don't have a Kiwi 3, but all my Kiwi lockbacks are perfectly easy to open one-handed.
Just pure Moki-made perfection...
Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

MarcusH wrote:Perhaps the Air would be a more classic looking knife with scales like these

Wow. This is beautiful.

What is this ? More pics w/ blade open and info, please.

Very nice.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Icky Thump wrote:Wow. This is beautiful.

What is this ? More pics w/ blade open and info, please.

Very nice.
These are the two variants of the C42 Viele.
AUS-8 with the visible stop-pin and VG-10 with the hidden stop-pin, some pics of the original Viele with AUS-8

Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

Thank you. First time I have seen this model. Very nice indeed. Hard to find these days I imagine.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Icky Thump wrote:Thank you. First time I have seen this model. Very nice indeed. Hard to find these days I imagine.
Don't know much about the availability in the U.S., but here in Europe you see them pop up in NIB condition once in a blue moon.
It took me quite a while to get both variants.
Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

Oh yea, got side tracked w/ disco'ed models and purple Mercedes collaborations..lol

The Air was my choice in a sub 3" Gentleman's Folder...actively seeking to trade it for the GB folder, as it were. (shameless plug, perhaps)

Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

MarcusH wrote:Don't know much about the availability in the U.S., but here in Europe you see them pop up in NIB condition once in a blue moon.
It took me quite a while to get both variants.
Seems all the knives I really dig, are discontinued...no matter the manufacturer. Hunting is half the fun Ive learned. Very nice pics by the way...was just looking over your gallery, Marcus. Very fine.