A Spyderco Story...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

A Spyderco Story...

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

So here I am constructing another building. The project is on a different island from the one I live in so I have take an interisland around twice a week. At first, I could take a multitool or slip joint along. Then time came when port police started asking if we had edged items with us and that they are now prohibited. I just felt naked in Dipolog(site) City, not to mention the dull box cutters that the workmen had for opening the boxes of materials and fixtures that arrived.

I decided to do something about it. So I went through the security checkpoint with my old saber ground endura clipped behind my belt buckle. No trouble at all. Now I have a knife at the site and while I go around the city. I can feel completely dressed again. :D

I have to note something at this point. My endura was, as is any knife I carry, sharp when I got to Dipolog. After a couple of days opening boxes it was down to just a working edge. I was kind of wishing for one of my sprint paras or one of my M390 Millies at that point since I had forgotten to bring a sharpener along. The workmen had a few very dished carborundum stones and I preferred not to use it on my endura. I decided to just find some some wet/dry and strop on cardboard. So I was back to armhair shaving sharp, and pleased with myself. Not quite hair splitting but I did manage to appreciate what sharpening in the field means. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very innovative, Chuck. Good idea regarding the belt buckle-carry too. ;) Just seems like you'd have to clip the Endura horizontally vs. vertically in order not to *ahem* bind up on you when you sit down. :eek: ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote:Very innovative, Chuck. Good idea regarding the belt buckle-carry too. ;) Just seems like you'd have to clip the Endura horizontally vs. vertically in order not to *ahem* bind up on you when you sit down. :eek: ;)
It was a bit diagonal. :)

Worked out a bit better that way since the part above the clip was even lower.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I thought you were going to remove your belt, soak it in clay/mud, and use that :) .
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:I thought you were going to remove your belt, soak it in clay/mud, and use that :) .
Well, I could find a rock somewhere. :D
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Probably more risk than I would have taken, but I'm glad it did not get you in trouble.

As for the field sharpening, good job!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Probably more risk than I would have taken, but I'm glad it did not get you in trouble.

As for the field sharpening, good job!
The checkpoints, security wise, aren't really close to what is in place at the airport. It's really easy to beat. No body search, just go through a door detector. Everybody beeps but no one pays attention. Carry on, goes through x-ray. Big items like guns in carry on will be spotted but I can probably carry a gun through if I really wanted. Not as big a risk as carrying a knife through an airport and besides, no charges for edged tools, just confiscation.

Now I have a knife in Dipolog that I'll leave there.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I assume the choice of the older saber Endura was because it was the least painful to lose to confiscation?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

xceptnl wrote:I assume the choice of the older saber Endura was because it was the least painful to lose to confiscation?
You are correct sir. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Chuck,

Nice story. Thanx for sharing. Laws are changing daily. Email your mailing address to me. I change the knives I carry when traveling, but I always carry a Golden stone. You can play with one for me.

sal
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

^ Wow, awesome.
paladin

Post by paladin »

yup, nice gesture
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

sal wrote:Hey Chuck,

Nice story. Thanx for sharing. Laws are changing daily. Email your mailing address to me. I change the knives I carry when traveling, but I always carry a Golden stone. You can play with one for me.

sal
Wow, that is awesome Mr. Glesser. Thanks a million. :D

I won't say no to that offer. I don't have your email add though. Would an emailing my address to Taz do it?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:Hey Chuck,

sal
Very cool
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow! This is why I love Spyderco! Sal you're a class act
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice work Chuck, looks like Doc taught you something. :)

I assume it wasn't a Pink Saber Ground Endura. :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Glad to hear you made it ok Chuck!

Next trip bring some DMT credit card + some cardboard + compound and you'll set :thumbup:
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Good story Chuck, and a really nice gesture from Sal as usual. I just got home from the Philippines myself. I carried only a Salt I in a concealed waist wallet the whole time I was down there, and went through a few security stops like you described with no trouble.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Stropping on cardboard? Really? That works?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra