School me on the Olive Drab Goddard....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I never really jumped at this one. I am in love with it on paper, linerless FRN similar to the Salt, VG-10, barrel clip, FFG, PE yet it never really made it to the top of the list when it was time to fork out cash for a new knife. I think I recall it was a +3.5" blade and less than 3oz. Would make a great backpacking knife IMO.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

PROS: Great ergos, light as a feather, no hump on the spine like a Native, FFG (original was not)

CONS: bigger handle than an E4 but blade is the same size or smaller, blade shape more skinner than leaf, no 4 way clip

If you have a lead on one get it. Best description is an Endura blade in a Mille FRN handle.
simyo

Post by simyo »

I've always loved the Goddard design the ATS 55 version was my first Spyderco and after years of carrying I jumped at the sprint so I could have a replacement for it. However, the closest direct comparison is to the endura, and really the endura 3. Is it better than the endura? I have to say I've always liked it better, however comparing prices its not much different so if you can get a goddard at a price close to the endura then jump on it, if its an inflated price I would just stick with the endura.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Its an awesome knife and I wish I had one!!
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

My first Spyderco was the White Goddard Jr Sprint, so I've been collecting some of them over the years. I traded toward an OD Goddard. It's nice, light, carries a little funny. I like it, though. I have it out for me to carry, but I haven't carried it in months.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I like it for weekend pocket carry because it is light weight and ultra-thin thanks to its linerless construction. It is a big knife, but it carries so unobtrusively that I don't even realize it is there.

I'm a huge fan of linerless construction where possible - the lighter weight makes these knives more likely to be in my possession when I need them. Granted, this doesn't always make sense - you sometimes need a sturdier knife. That's why Sal and Eric sell us Paramilitaries, Bradley's, etc!

TedP
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I love it!! It's so light weight it's the perfect backpacking knife as someone already stated. It lives in my osprey backpack ready for anything.

~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm a big fan! :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I should have bought one of these when I had the chance...
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Wish they turned that wasted space into a choil
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

You don't need a finger choil too desperately due to the handle shape, and you can choke up with your index finger like you would with a choil, because your middle finger won't let your hand slide any farther forwards...and the angle of the tang where it meets the handle also prevents your index finger sliding forwards. I really like mine, and carry it from time to time. It carries FAR more unobtrusively than you'd expect, and it's not hard to reach past it for something deeper in your pocket. It's really thin, the ergos are excellent, the grind is really nice (Including the subtle swedge on the spine), and the handle takes on a different hue depending on the lighting. I'm VERY glad I picket one up. It is very much like the Salt series (My closest 2 for comparison are my FRN Native and Saver Salt), and in fact I've posited the idea of doing it as a sprint in H1 for that very reason.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden