Ayoob SE H1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Ayoob SE H1

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal mentioned in the "create a new H1 larger knife" thread started by Surfingringo, that making an Ayoob in H1 would be very easy since the same plant that makes H1 knives also makes the Ayoob. This knife would be the ultimate water knife to me because the Ayoob has such an awesome negative blade angle that would make the serrations overperform. I would like to see 3/4 of an inch be plain edge. Look up Mark Greenman's awesome Ayoob review. Then picture the same knife in SE H1. I don't feel this is another "fantasy" thread since Sal said this could happen pretty easy. Your thoughts? Wonder if Sal was thinking yellow FRN or G10?
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I would absolutely love an Ayoob. SE in H1, even better.
Water babies singing in a lily-pool delight
Blue powder monkies praying in the dead of night
Here comes the black queen, poking in the pile
Fie-fo the black queen, marching single file
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dying to know if Sal meant G10 or FRN...part of me wants either one to be right! This would be THE H1 knife to have IMO, betting Mark Greenman (my favorite reviewer) and Surfingringo (favorite photos) would be the first in line! Really hoping this can gain some ground...SAL?
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

uh huh, ya.. I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy this!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Well, you know I'm in. I just wish I had ever had a chance to handle the ayoob. I'm sure if I had some hands on experience I would see what all the fuss was about. Looks like a solid design, but I know I never properly appreciate spydercos designs until I've used them for awhile.

Kind of like the yojimbo 2 I just got. I listened to folks talking the knife up until I just couldn't take it anymore. :) . Soooo glad I finally listened. What an awesome knife! So yeah, if the ayoob turned out to be "that kind of special" and I got it in serrated h1?? :eek:

Btw, Sal also mentioned in that thread that linerless g10 was an option. I've had such good luck with my frn salts that that's not a huge deal to me, but it would be nice to see them start experimenting with different handle materials in the salt line though.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The original military didn't have liners save for the lock. G10 is pretty rigid in short sections of course it can be pinned together to make it more rigid. Personally I'd buy another SE ayoob. Just keep the blade the same as the original SE with H1. That knife cuts very very well. The angle of it also locks the wrist for a good strong thrust. Remember this was an SD design. The only knife i ever cut a water bottle 3 times before it fell over. I don't know if it was just luck but i was very impressed.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I would be way, way down for an H1 Ayoob SE. H1 is the ideal SE blade steel, and the Ayoob is one of the very best SE models. The negative blade angle, combined with the curve of the blade, allows you to put a lot of cutting edge into the material being. It gives you the arms length cutting ability of a hawkbill, but with a much more functional blade shape.

http://www.good-kit.com/spyderco-massad ... ar-review/

Linerless black G10 with a yellow backspacer would be pretty sweet. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be in for sure. Ayoob sprint in H-1 would be awesome.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sounds great. Hope its SE and G10...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

That would be COOOOOOL!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

any new H1 I am in, but I prefer FRN on H1.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

I'm in for one. :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mr. Glesser??
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:Mr. Glesser??
I want to believe that Sal and Eric are moving forward with a new salt model. I seem to recall a few months ago Sal chiming in on the "salt" thread and saying that they had discussed it. :)
TomH

Post by TomH »

I'll get at least one.