Is this the S110V lightweight Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Donut wrote:Yeah, I saw the composite ZT model and the Striders.

That's pretty interesting, IMO.

I wonder how many people who would normally not be able to try S110V are going to work with it.
I would say it will some as it's a regular production model and affordable. :)
Orangeneck

Post by Orangeneck »

Evil D wrote:My bevels are even on each side but one side is around 18-20 degrees and the other side is much higher...
Mine was ~21 deg on the left and and 22 deg on the right until ~0.5 inches from the tip where is was ~25 deg (measured using EdgePro + angle cube + magic marker). Instead of doing a complete regrind, I broke out my 10 inch DMT continuous plates and free-hand convexed the right edge neat the tip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah mine were definitely more steep at the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bdblue wrote:They seem to still be pretty much unobtanium right now. I guess time will tell if they actually become available for purchase like a common production knife.

I think the average person may not have a good experience with them because of the effort and equipment required for sharpening. Anybody with proper sharpening resources will probably like it. I've been collecting knives for a long time and only recently stepped up my sharpening where I could effectively deal with a knife like this. This week I'm carrying a blade in M4 that I was able to sharpen pretty easily. A couple of years ago this would have been impossible for me.
Then again if you go to a place like Bass Pro Shop and stand around at the knife counter for a while, you're sure to see someone come up for a free "knife sharpening" where they run your blade across a bench grinder a few times for ya. :shudder:
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Donut wrote:It's much easier to remove material than it is to add material.
Obviously you can't add material but you can thicken an edge and you'll likely have an easier time doing that. Think of the Nilakka.
I would like to see thinner grinds from Spyderco in general. That's just my opinion. I've recently expanded my collection to include another popular brand and despite not having the reputation for FFG slicing machines, this company makes knives that are often thinner behind the edge by my estimation.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I emailed Jeff at Cutleryshoppe, and a few minutes later, he put them up on his site. Now I have one inbound! Good price on them too!
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Bladenoobie1

Post by Bladenoobie1 »

Shakyamuni wrote:I emailed Jeff at Cutleryshoppe, and a few minutes later, he put them up on his site. Now I have one inbound! Good price on them too!
Just saw it up, that's the cheapest I've seen so far. Anyhow knifecenter did have it in stock yesterday and is still labeled in stock today. If USPS stays on track I should receive my manix 2 on Thursday. Pretty stoked to try out this steel!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercoc1 ... blade.aspx

There you go BDblue, since every post you make is about how scarce it is... You should spend that energy looking for one to buy instead. Everyone else isnt having much of a hard time getting one.

Every online dealer has been getting them in all month.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah took me about 2 days to find one and one of those days was to decide if I wanted it or not. I checked the first website that was reported to have them and got one. It was pretty easy.
~David
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I also got one very easily. I also check about 7 dealers at least once every day, and at least one of them either has them in stock or a coming batch available for preorder pretty much every time I look.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

Just ordered one from Cutleryshoppe.com. You guys are bad for my wallet :D
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

here is a pic i took of mine. i am really liking this knife. the spring is starting to break in so its not as hard to close anymore. ive been using it at work to cut some cardboard and tape and it has stayed fairly sharp. just been touching it up with ceramic rods on my really old crock stick. the only thing i wish they did was round off the handle some since its kinda blocky but overall this is a very good knife!

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was playing with mine a minute ago and found I can unlock it with just my thumb. That's a first for me out of every M2 I've ever handled. I think a lot of it has to do with the extra traction the rest of my hand gets on the FRN.
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

FCM415 wrote:Every online dealer has been getting them in all month.
< comments withdrawn >

I've had my G10 versions for almost a year, I had not handled a lightweight version until fairly recently. I really like the G10 version because it is smooth but also feels like a very solid knife. The lightweight is a whole different animal, impressively light but still solid. The new lightweights are proving to be very popular, I'll try to be happy with my G10 model for now.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Evil D wrote:I was playing with mine a minute ago and found I can unlock it with just my thumb. That's a first for me out of every M2 I've ever handled. I think a lot of it has to do with the extra traction the rest of my hand gets on the FRN.
I have 2 of the G10 models and they both require more than one thumb, IOW they have pretty strong springs. One of them even sticks a little bit but this doesn't add much force on top of what the spring requires. I've handled the XL versions and I don't recall them being any different from mine. I don't have any trouble operating them one-handed but I have to do it a certain way. Except for the spring tension they are some of my easiest knives to handle one-handed and the ones that I would trust the most to operate in the dark.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

bdblue wrote:I've checked CS every day, none in stock. Last night was probably the last time I checked.

I've checked KW every day, preorders only. Someone said they had some in stock, so I visited their website and it said preorder. I wondered if the website was wrong so this morning I emailed them and they emailed right back that they were still doing only preorders. Just checked and right now their site still says preorder.

I've dealt with KC before and I've reported several times on the bad treatment I've gotten from them so I ignore them now.

I've bought from HKS before, but haven't found one in stock there. Still out of stock as of right now.

What does that leave? BHQ- out of stock as of right now. Oh and NG- out of stock as of right now

Those are the 6 dealers I can think of off the top of my head.

My problem is that I have to work 8-5:30 or 8-6. Sometimes I have internet access at lunch, sometimes not. If a site gets 5 knives in stock in the morning and sells them out by the end of the day, I miss out. I can't give up a day's salary to sit home and watch the internet.
Appears to be in stock at CS right now
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercoc1 ... blade.aspx
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

^
Best price too (with free shipping code). Perfect for your schedule BDblue...So....Are you gonna buy one or what keep posting every couple of days that boohoo its so hard to get one.

It's causing quite a buzz and it is selling well off the gate a mere two weeks from release. If you really want one you can easily get one though. Should get even easier when the smoke settles.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Dang, could've saved ~$4.00 on my order if I waited. Oh well, but mine should arrive tomorrow. :D
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

MachSchnell wrote:Dang, could've saved ~$4.00 on my order if I waited. Oh well, but mine should arrive tomorrow. :D
With a name like yours, how could you wait? :p

Mine will be here Thursday. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

That is the best price I have seen so far! :D