Is this the S110V lightweight Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Ray Allen wrote:And so it begins, again. Mine is on pre-order. It will share pocket time with its larger brother, my XL2 with S90V which I have become quite enamored with. Wish there were torx screws used throughout, but at half of what I paid for my carbon fiber/S90V big brother I will live with it. I probably would have passed if the pivot was pinned, but that's just my belief values. I wonder if this is the start of S110V becoming a replacement for S30V as a standard main line offering from Golden CO. Next couple of years will tell.
Cheers...
I hope it's the Golden version of ZDP/VG-10 (high/low offerings)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

PayneTrain wrote:Thanks for the tip, I just preordered with GP. Now I can rest easy knowing one of these bad boys has my name on it. I wasn't sure I'd ever be sold on a Manix, but with blue FRN and S110V for $108, I can't say no to that.

Keep your fingers crossed. Lots of dealers take preorders and then never come through with the goods. I was one of the people on the preorder list for the Cruwear Military and about 4 months after they were released I finally got the email saying that the product was sold out.

The Manix 2 is a great design. I got a plain G10 hollow-ground 154 version. At first I liked the shape but it was kind of heavy. I started using it and decided that I really did like it a lot. Its action is unique and very smooth. I had not seen or handled the lightweight version until about a month ago. It is surprisingly light and for an EDC knife it fixes the only objection I ever had to the G10 Manix 2, which is the weight. The light blue versions must be in demand because they are hard to find good deals on. I'm also surprised at how fast the S110V version has sold out because it didn't have much advance warning.

I don't know whether to believe the "regular stock item" thing. Except for a few offerings with M4 steel, this has never happened with a production Spyderco. And there are lots of production "regular stock" Spyderco models that you cannot buy anywhere right now. I hope they do become available because I want one, but at this time it doesn't look very promising.

Oh and there were a few for sale via auction sites, for very high prices, but those too are gone now.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Only Knifecenter has enough issues with preorders worth complaining about. Saying that "Lots of dealers never come through" is very misleading.

Also, I am taking TazKristi's word on this one.. On this thread she said not sprint and not exclusive... Now it is true that some production models come out in batches but everyone should be able to catch one if they really want it nonetheless... It is standard production unless anyone insists Taz is a liar :rolleyes: or she herself was misinformed.

It is selling out fast because it isnt like a million pieces just come out all at once right at the very first day of them mailing them out to dealers...when does that happen? Relax...They will trickle out.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I got to hold Eric's one of these today, and it was most excellent... as expected.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I was using my CTS-BD1 version today, cutting up a lot of cardboard. I was surprised by how well it held an edge. Pretty sure I don't need this upgrade...but I want it.
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

ABX2011 wrote:I was using my CTS-BD1 version today, cutting up a lot of cardboard. I was surprised by how well it held an edge. Pretty sure I don't need this upgrade...but I want it.
I use my LW a lot and I use it hard. I have found that the BD1 steel is pretty good stuff and easy to sharpen. But it does dull rather quickly in comparison to steels like CTS-XHP or S30V. Still, BD1 is a good steel IMHO and holds an edge better than most of the older steels.

S110V should improve on the way the knife holds an edge so for those of us who use the LW a lot, it will be a significant improvement. I am really looking forward to the combination of light weight and great steel. That is a can't miss combo. :)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bdblue wrote:Keep your fingers crossed. Lots of dealers take preorders and then never come through with the goods.
I hope that won't be the case here, especially since it's not a limited edition which I really have to believe since the news came from the inside. I'm pretty confident I'll get it, I just hope it's soon. They said Q2 which would be what, by the end of June? Of course there's the disclaimer that they're at the mercy of the factory, but even though this is my first dealing with GP I gotta have faith.

My biggest reservation about the Manix design is the blade shape. I'm not a huge fan of wide blades because they aren't really maneuverable and they're sorta clunky looking. Hence the reason I will probably never own a ZT. But I trust Spyderco to prove me wrong, or at least I have to in order to rationalize another purchase. :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bdblue wrote:Keep your fingers crossed. Lots of dealers take preorders and then never come through with the goods. I was one of the people on the preorder list for the Cruwear Military and about 4 months after they were released I finally got the email saying that the product was sold out.

The Manix 2 is a great design. I got a plain G10 hollow-ground 154 version. At first I liked the shape but it was kind of heavy. I started using it and decided that I really did like it a lot. Its action is unique and very smooth. I had not seen or handled the lightweight version until about a month ago. It is surprisingly light and for an EDC knife it fixes the only objection I ever had to the G10 Manix 2, which is the weight. The light blue versions must be in demand because they are hard to find good deals on. I'm also surprised at how fast the S110V version has sold out because it didn't have much advance warning.

I don't know whether to believe the "regular stock item" thing. Except for a few offerings with M4 steel, this has never happened with a production Spyderco. And there are lots of production "regular stock" Spyderco models that you cannot buy anywhere right now. I hope they do become available because I want one, but at this time it doesn't look very promising.

Oh and there were a few for sale via auction sites, for very high prices, but those too are gone now.
Name "lots" of dealers? The only one that comes to mind is KC.

As far as "I don't know whether to believe the 'regular stock item' thing," though, you must be right. Sal, Eric and Kristi have a long and notorious history of posting lies, fabricating facts and generally operating at the lowest possible levels of ethical integrity and moral character. :rolleyes:
jvarn81

Post by jvarn81 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:This looks ultra sweet and all, but where's that CF S110V Native 5??? :)
Yes, this^^^^^
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jvarn81 wrote:Yes, this^^^^^
They're almost here! :D I have one pre-ordered from KC, and I'll bet I receive it, too. ;)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JNewell wrote:Name "lots" of dealers? The only one that comes to mind is KC.
You're probably right. I think it was KC that i preordered from and never got the product, and I was one of the first to preorder.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bdblue wrote:You're probably right. I think it was KC that i preordered from and never got the product, and I was one of the first to preorder.
I have mixed feelings about that situation. Pre-orders are convenient, but you're right that when they don't come through you have wasted a lot of time sitting on your hands when you could have bought the knife from another dealer. I think most other dealers have slowed down or stopped taking pre-orders due to the disappointments that seem to be inherent in the process...
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I guess it's completely useless to hope to see some S110V on a UKPK?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ABX2011 wrote:I was using my CTS-BD1 version today, cutting up a lot of cardboard. I was surprised by how well it held an edge. Pretty sure I don't need this upgrade...but I want it.
I've already pre-ordered 2 of the new ones, but I have to say that BD1 is a vastly underrated steel, in my opinion. It's really been performing just as well as VG-10 in my use (which isn't precise, of course, because I'm comparing two different knives, but whatever).
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I preordered from bladehq about 5 minutes after the pre orders went live... so I shouldbe fine. this is just an awesome blade at its price point
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

nccole wrote:Got shipping notice from GP! Quite possible I could have this thing tomorrow as GP is about 4 hours from me.
Did you get it? Please post some pics when/if you do
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
nccole

Post by nccole »

Strong-Dog wrote:Did you get it? Please post some pics when/if you do
Monday. I've learned to be patient in part because of Spyderco. Monday after work I'll get some shots up
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm interested to see what shade the blue really is. The pic on Howes' site makes it look much lighter than I'm hoping it is.
:bug-red-white
nccole

Post by nccole »

gbelleh wrote:I'm interested to see what shade the blue really is. The pic on Howes' site makes it look much lighter than I'm hoping it is.
That's the stock photo Spyderco put up. Check out GP and BladeHQ for what appear to be better pics.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks. That looks like a better shade of blue. I definitely plan to pick one of these up.
:bug-red-white