Anyone have the cojones to "hard use" their Dragonfly 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
btron

Anyone have the cojones to "hard use" their Dragonfly 2?

Post by btron »

I've recently revisited and finally fully appreciated the Dragonfly 2 this weekend. I've had two of the VG-10 and gifted both. I know, I know...I should of kept the first one. But lesson learned. This little guy is amazing.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has actually used their Dfly 2 for some hard use tasks? Work that should be used with a Manix, Millie, Gayle Bradley and others like them. Work that surprised you the Dfly 2 actually handled it. Work that could make onlookers see you and think you're insane for using a small blade, but you got the job done. I'm convinced this knife could do anything...and I just cut some cardboard :cool:
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

not a whole lot of hard use, but it has been used for prying (my dad :rolleyes: I have also used it once or twice to do a little de-limbing on some smaller branches and it performed really well.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, the good news is, so long as you don't get injured in the process, if you did break one you're not out a ton of money. There was a torture test done on a Ladybug a while back that went through an insane amount of abuse and never broke and ended up being auctioned off for charity. I would say anything up to heavy batoning on the pivot and hard prying should be ok, with the acceptance that you'll likely introduce a good bit of blade/lock play if you really beat on it. If you unlock the blade and baton by hitting just the blade itself, it'll live a lot longer. Sometimes the fact that the handle is linerless and FRN has a little flex to it will allow it to take more beating without actually breaking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I remember a vid of a guy cutting in half an old thick leather trekking boot with a plain regular D'Fly VG10 Black FRN SpyderEdge.

Actually it did pretty well. No batoning, but a huge lot of twisting while cutting the very stiff rubber sole.

And after that, it didn't had any significant blade play. :cool:

Anyway, if for some weird reason I would want to cut in half an old trekking boot the last tool I'd use to do it would be any of my D'Flies.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It took some searching for the right keywords, but I found this video that I knew I had seen in years past. Can't remember if this is a forum member or not, but it was shared here before. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;c-yP762LmI0]https://youtu.be/c-yP762LmI0[/video]
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

LC Kid wrote:I remember a vid of a guy cutting in half an old thick leather trekking boot with a plain regular D'Fly VG10 Black FRN SpyderEdge.

Actually it did pretty well. No batoning, but a huge lot of twisting while cutting the very stiff rubber sole.

And after that, it didn't had any significant blade play. :cool:
Guess we think alike!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi xceptnl!

[quote="xceptnl"]Guess we think alike![/quote]

Great minds think alike Bro![/font]
:D
Stay Sharp!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Well now I need one of those little yellow wonders.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

U guys make me want the sb d'fly :(
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Ned

Post by Ned »

I just now used my SS Dfly to cut the top off of one of those Costco black pepper grinder bottlest, seems the mechanism quit working so I plunged the blade in the neck of the thing and cut the grinder head off! :D
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

What's hard use?
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RealKnifeUser wrote:What's hard use?
A giant can full of argument and frustration LOL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

That's good cutting I don't abuse it that much, I don't even think I have used it on a boot; cardboard yes, plastic yes, nylon straps yes, paper yes, rope yes, even some terry cloths and some radiator hose. But never a boot, I am going to look for an old shoe I can destroy. :D
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't really do any "hard use" but mine has done its share of dirty work. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think the vid was Zenith's. Those little guys are tough. Just use them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

RealKnifeUser wrote:What's hard use?
Cutting an M1 Abrams tank in half would qualify ...

Gordo
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

gaj999 wrote:Cutting an M1 Abrams tank in half would qualify ...

Gordo

I would go with a serrated model for that :)
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson