Techno concerns

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpion

Techno concerns

Post by Scorpion »

I would love to get a techno, and as a poor fellow this is basically my grail, but I have heard some worrying things about it. Mainly that the lock develops lock-rock after a short period, that it fails the spine whack test (extreme (ly stupid) I know), and other lock related things (titanium specific RIL issues). By a show of hands, how common are these issues? I should note that I am a perfectionist and I had heard that the taichung spydies had exceptional lockup prior to reading these Techno woes.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I've never heard of any of these issues. Truth be told, I haven't gone looking for problems either as mine is still 100% perfect after several months of carry.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mine is also perfect. No issues after months of use.
Revival

Post by Revival »

No problems with both of mine.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Hard to imagine these problems, I have never heard them about the techno or any other taichung spydie. Mine is rock solid, almost hurts my thumb to disengage. That said, I never have had the inclination to spine whack this knife nor could I see a use for this size/type of knife that would recreate that type of force/action in real life use.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Same here, my Techno is bank vault solid. Like the others, this is the first I've heard of any of these issues with the Techno.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I too am OCD about anything mechanical. The Techno's lock-bar is heat hardened at the lock face like a CRK. After approx. a year of almost exclusive carry and excessive opening...my lock-bar is unchanged since new at around 25-30% and absolutely solid lock-up.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've also never heard of these issues, and mine has been, and still is perfect after almost 2 years.
:bug-red-white
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Never heard of these either. Mine is great.
LC Kid

Perfect Since Day One

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My Techno :cool: has been with me little more than a year, and is absolutely perfect since day one.

Not a single complain, whatsoever. I've using it almost daily, and never ever failed any cutting task, not even once.

And never heard about any kind of failure, from nobody, anywhere.

'Spine Whack Test' failure? Is that even a test? Really??
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

No issues. Mine is like a tank.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Mine locks up just fine, if grease or graphite gets on the lock surface it can slip and act like lock rock until cleaned. Haven't spine whacked it and don't plan on it.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Most confidence inspiring rock solid little big knife I have.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Thanks you all for the confidence inspiring replies! Would it be possible for someone to get a comparison pic of a Techno with a Para 2 and a Manbug (or ladybug, jester)? I am trying to gauge how it will fit in my rotation with these knives, and if it will fit in my 5th jeans pocket (hwl measurements would be awesome too).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A titanium RIL is quite a strong lock if executed with an ounce of care. While any spine-whack failure is possible, I wouldn't think the Techno would be unusually high among the already low risk locks.

Maybe someone can help explain how a RIL would develop lock-rock? The large titanium lockbar presses the tang against the stop pin. I've opened and closed my Sage2 probably a thousand times and it's rock solid. Compared to a Techno it probably feels like a toy :) .
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

See the top results from this search: https://www.google.ca/search?q=spyderco ... ck&spell=1
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Hopefully these pictures help you a bit. Don't have a manbug or ladybug or jester to compare though.

M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
LC Kid

Techno & Jester

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Scorpion!

[quote="Scorpion"] a comparison pic of a Techno with a Para 2 and a Manbug or Ladybug or Jester) [/quote]

Here:[/font]
:)

Stay Sharp!
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Thank you 78lilred and LC kid!
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

I feel like I could throw my Techno at the wall everyday before using it and it still wouldn't budge. Carry it everyday, use it almost everyday. I feel that if you really wanted to baton it through a small piece of wood, it would absolutely stand the test. I wouldn't recommend it as it is a small folding knife. I've never experienced even the slightest of issues with this knife. It is currently my favorite in the Spyderco lineup. I can almost guarantee you will not regret purchasing this knife.