Alternative to black G-10 -- Optional 2nd color choice for regular production knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Alternative to black G-10 -- Optional 2nd color choice for regular production knives?

Post by DougC-3 »

Until I started accumulating Spydies, I never thought about the need for other G-10 colors -- black was fine with me. But now it's beginning to seem a little boring. I think it would be good to have a second default color choice for many knives, maybe the same second color for all, at first anyway. Of course it would cost more and cause more administrative work, but it might make enough to pay for that in extra sales to us nuts that would want both colors as well as those who would reject black but not the alternative.

It could be started gradually with a few popular knives to see how it worked out. Personally, I would suggest a non-flashy "earth tone" for "work" knives, like the Manix, Military, and Paramilitary... something like foliage green, coyote, tan (as in Manix M4), khaki, or maybe Forum Native green. Or maybe a new color, a darker foliage green, darker tan, lighter coyote, something between foliage and Forum Native, or various medium-dark mixtures of gray, green, brown. If that worked out maybe a lighter or brighter color would be good for "dress" knives like the Chaparral or Caly.

Anybody have any opinions on this? (I know this is a redundant question ;) )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love dark green. Some shades of brown and deep blue will good. Still IMHO black is the best for the first color.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sully

Post by Sully »

Totally agree. Not a fan of basic black G-10 really. It's generic, IMHO. Love the idea of foliage green or a darker hue of green as a production color option. Realizing the now discontinued Delica in foliage green G-10 that I forfeited to Spyderco W&R was more my style than the black G-10 Caly 3.5 I got in return. Not complaining, just agreeing. Would swap my brand new Caly 3.5 for a Foliage Green "almost anything" -- that's how much I agree with you.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Obviously, to appeal to the masses Black makes the most sense. I personally support a change in color. Neutral colors will likely be the best chance at a change. Foliage green, "Forum" green, "Southard" brown, maybe desert tan or machine grey? I don't know how much success regular production models would do with Orange or Blue G-10.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I like black because there are worse colors. The brown color on the Southard doesn't really do it for me as a standard production color. I agree that the Forum Native's green is excellent.

I would love to see Micarta make it's way onto more knives. Micarta, to me, feels so much better than G-10.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I would kill for more smurf blue like the Para's and Dodo's. (not really NSA, sheesh)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Orange!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I'm a blue guy
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd vote for an Flat Dark Earth/Tan/Brown ect.

I really like the green of the tenacious.
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Orange.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Dark earth tones would be the safest choice. Any of those tactical colors, FDE, etc., would probably sell like hot cakes. Smurf blue is probably one of my least favorites. I'd really like to see some navy blue G-10, and more dark green.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In my own perfect world they would all come in standard black and the secondary color would be white, then we could dye them any color we want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:In my own perfect world they would all come in standard black and the secondary color would be white, then we could dye them any color we want.
I pretty much knew my personal dream of red or white becoming a reality was a dream at best for even a sprint. That's why I didn't even mention it. I support your logic though David.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I agree with David's "white." You can dye them whatever color you want at that point. I've done my Gray knives this way to great effect.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'm very bad answering this, but all of them, the dark green, grey, smurf blue, tan, foliage green and brown I have thoroughly enjoyed. All nice colors and variety is the spice of life. I know they pop, but I haven't owned an orange one yet.

Dk green blends in real well with anything and a great alternative to black in that regard.

Two G10 colors Id like to see made are a dark blue, and charcoal grey. Done at the right shades, these would fit right in with the rest of them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

FCM415 wrote:I'm very bad answering this, but all of them, the dark green, grey, smurf blue, tan, foliage green and brown I have thoroughly enjoyed. All nice colors and variety is the spice of life. I'm sure it's nice, but I haven't owned an orange one yet.

Dk green blends in real well with anything and a great alternative to black in that regard.

Two G10 colors Id like to see made are a dark blue, and charcoal grey. Done at the right shades, these would fit right in with the rest of them.
You read my mind. Those would look awesome
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I've always thought primary colors should be Black and Natural G10.
:) Then, my personal favorites are Ranger Green, Foliage Green and Orange. :cool:
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My term for the ubiquitous black was "plain jane" and I felt bad when Sal later commented on that specifically (we were discussing the new Kiwi IIRC) :( . As a compromise to David's white option is to offer either light grey or tan (both used and mentioned already) because not everyone would dye theirs and those colors may be just fine for those not wanting or unable to dye theirs (or have the wherewithal to know how to look it up or find someone to do it for them). Not sure white would look so good as a stock color option, but that's my two cents. Those two light colors take RIT dye very well (natural G10 in my experience is much trickier to dye the shade you want).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Evil D wrote:In my own perfect world they would all come in standard black and the secondary color would be white, then we could dye them any color we want.
I would not mind this one bit. At my neighborhood hobby store, I see so many RitDye colors :eek:

Some will disagree with the white scale idea but you can dye it to black... Anything! :) It's $3.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Forest green/forum green is my favorite or even foliage green. I love my camo Para2 also.