Smoothest Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Smoothest Spyderco

Post by dgebler »

I was just playing with my knives I decided to obsessively open and close every knife I have in my collection numerous times, noting detent, smoothness, lock release, blade play (or lack thereof) . After playing with them all, I have to say out of 20+ spydies (i know...beginners collection) the Vallotton has to be the smoothest by far. No bearings, no fancy lock, just one incredibly smooth action on a very well done liner lock. Not to mention the feel in hand. If I didn't wear thin slacks to work on a daily basis this could be my favorite knife (for now the Caly 3.5 still reigns supreme). I just was impressed all over again how such a straightforward design could be so perfectly executed...it really does feel like butter.

So, what do you think is your smoothest knife?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sage3 is my smoothest. Absolutely amazing.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I have not played with the vallotton, but i agree with bearface, sage 3 is my smoothest also and i cant see any other being any smoother.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

my gb is so smoooooth.
On the hunt for...
remnar

Post by remnar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Sage3 is my smoothest. Absolutely amazing.
Same here!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Anything from Taichung is incredibly smooth, my PPT, GB, Domino, Techno, but my 83mm Manix, forum N5 and Lil Temp aren't fa behind. I think my PPT is the smoothest.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Nick Herrera

Post by Nick Herrera »

My Breeden Rescue is actually my smoothest Spydie I own. Atleast in my opinion :D
:spyder: Proud creator of the HerreraEdge :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have found that of my new knives (un-broken in) the blades with more mass "Feel" smoother because of the weight assisting the action. The Superleaf for me was one of the smoothest out of box that I can recall. One the other side of the coin, amongst my well used and well broken in knives, my old (hump-back) Rescue, Superhawk, Caly 3 SB, and Caly Jr. are by far the smoothest. If I had to pick the least smooth from my collection, it would likely be my Forum Native 5. I am not saying it isn't smooth, but relatively speaking it seems to be in a different category vs. all of my others. YMMV!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:my gb is so smoooooth.
+1. My Gayle Bradley is easily the smoothest and most satisfying knife I own. Why can't all knives be this good?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

All of my liner locks are very smooth but I have to vote Phoenix. There is just some "quality" to that smoothness that's hard to explain/define, but I like it. A lot! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My original Manix XL is the smoothest one I own, even better than the Southard. It feels like oiled glass.
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

My yo2 is decisively smoother than any of my other spydies
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

The smoothest I ever had was the PM1 Foliage Green D2 Sprint, uber smooth! The second would definetely be the Sage 3 Smurf.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

It may not be the best flicker, but my CF Stretch is literally almost frictionless. If the backock wasn't putting pressure on it, it would swing back and forth freely all day.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just tried my GB, Chaparral 2, Manbug and D'fly2. The D'fly 2 has a handle I made so maybe it shouldn't count. It has phospher washers instead of the molded FRN washer alternative so it's not an original design. However, all 4 are perfectly smooth. Absolutely smooth. No difference in resistance at one point of the blade position. All are made with outstanding precision IMO. Some may also be considering the AMOUNT of resistance but I have the pivots all adjusted to increase the resistance just a bit. I like smooth but I don't care for the blade that when the lock is released are swinging in the air looking for skin and bone. If I'm not moving the blade myself I want it to stay put in any position. They all flick open (except manbug) easily but none of the blades just drop down when the lock is released like most Manix2's. My Sage1 used to do that also. So, with the pivot tension adjusted the way I like it I have to say all mine are equally smooth. I think this is a statement of quality. Not only are Spyderco's smooth, they are easily adjusted to personal preference.

Jack

Edit: Wait a minute. I just held the Chaparral 2 horizontal and open. I released the lock and the blade DID just drop down. Has no blade play when open/locked or closed. Great knife. I'd like to mention that I have never once adjusted the pivot on this knife I'm pretty sure. It came like I like it but now it seems to have "broken in" and while locking up like a rock there is less resistance to movement. May need to tighten the pivot a fraction of a frog's hair. I think I'll wait though to see how it does in more time. I do like this knife.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My smoothest Spydie of all time is the original C15 Terzuola from the 1990s. That was the first knife that Sal installed washers on, and once I got the pivot is adjusted after I got it, it opened like butter. And it is still my smoothest-opening Spydie twenty years later... That's saying something about quality...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

My Sage3 is smoother than a cashmere codpiece
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

I do agree with xceptnl about blade weight momentum, my Southard/GB/etc are very smooth but for path of least resistance it would be my Air.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would have to say, in order - Gayle Bradley, Sage 1, Vallotton.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tmag, so smooth it's almost as if it didn't have a lock or backspring or anything at all...oh wait it minute-- it doesn't :p

But seriously it is bizarre how easily it opens...one of my all time favorite knives...

For the true lockers, the lil' Temp is amazingly low friction...

And I agree with Ken, the Phoenix is a great opening experience, all the uncaged BBL are about the same also! :spyder:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate