quick question on Native: plain edge or combo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gorski19

quick question on Native: plain edge or combo?

Post by gorski19 »

Greetings Spyderfolk,

I am on the verge of purchasing one of the Native models. The piece will be used for both indoor and outdoor activities. My question is this, plain edge or combo? Does a combo edge limit or enhance the performance of the knife? I have read some of the posts on the spyderedge vs. plain topic but was wondering what the thoughts would be when it came to the native in particular. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mac
tique

Post by tique »

IMHO, the serrations on the Native, and on a few other models, severly limit it's usefulness. I would buy a plain edge model, and am planning on picking one up when I get some cash on hand. I have nothing against serrations, I just have some problems with a comboedge on a smaller knife like the Native.
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I think the choice between the two edges has to do with the "main" intended use of the knife. If you will be cutting alot of rope, plastic, or other fiberous materials, then I would go with the serrated edge. On the other hand, the plain edge is "easier" to sharpen.

Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
PsychGrad

Post by PsychGrad »

I asked the same question before I purchased my Native. I bought the plain edge.

Mainly because my understanding of the combo zytel model is that the serrations take up about 3/4 of blade. When I think of combo I think of half and half.

The steel handle is more of a half and half but might be slick.

I would go with the plain zytel
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

gorski19, there have been numerous posts on this subject. Most of the guys on this and other fora would say that it depends on what you intend to use the knife for.

If you are a firefighter, policeman or just an outdoor guy, your need for different serrations is obvious. The serration cuts material like hemp rope, nylon, cardboard, hard plastic materials and so on, more aggresively. A classic usage this type of blade would be storing it in your cars glove departement in order to cut off the seat belt if necessary (for example in connection to a car accident)

On the other hand if you just use the knife as a dayly carry tool, to open envelopes, slice a sausage or whittle a stick, then I would go with the plain serration.

PS The partially serrated models are IMO useless. The plain part of the knife is too short to be useful and so is the serrated one. You end up with a knife that is half good half bad in both cases. As I said, just IMHO.
Regards dePaul
mario

Post by mario »

I am also a Native fun, and I own more models of this(serrated, BF,Shell inlay,SS)but the one I have alvays in my pocket is a GIN 1 plain. Now, the sad reason why I prefer to buy plain edges: because I don't know sharpening, and expecially because here in Italy very few sharpeners know how to treat serrations..and if they do they keep your knife for at least 2 weeks. Sad but true.

EX ALTO FULGOR
Paul Work

Post by Paul Work »

I prefer plain edge. To me, it is far more useful than serrations.

Paul
gorski19

Post by gorski19 »

Hey folks,
Thanks to everybody for the great advice. I ended up going with a 50/50 SS Native. The decision to go with serrated comes from the fact that I spend alot of time cutting through cardboard, nylon & hemp ropes etc. As far as the handle goes, I really like the added heft that the SS handle provides. However, fear not plain edge fans! I have not completely gone over to the serrated side!! As a matter of fact, my next spydie ( I know I haven't even recieved the Native yet... SO!?! ) will be either a Calypso Jr. or a co-pilot with plain edge. Oh, then there's the spydercard and the Delica and the..oh..am I still typing?-sorry.
Thanks again,
Mac
Oh yeah.. gotta get the sharpmaker too...