Your thoughts on the Superleaf...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Your thoughts on the Superleaf...

Post by remnar »

I came across a Superleaf today and I am thinking about purchasing it, but I would like to get some opinions first. I know these are discontinued and finding them for sale can be difficult, but does anyone have a current ballpark street price for one LNIB. I am not a "big knife" guy but I am a fan of the compression lock and I was quite impressed with the Superleaf. This would not be an EDC for me. It may see some kitchen duty, It may see camping/hiking duty, or it may just become part of the collection. What are your thoughts on this knife? Has anyone passed on one and regretted it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ultimately it was too similar yet too bulky compared to the Para 2 so I passed on it. The ergos are actually a bit better for me though, but it never came in 20CP so the Para got the win.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I have a Superleaf and the Superhawk and find them to be great knives at a cost of bulk in the pocket . The ergos in hand are excellent for me and yes my Para 2 cf 90v is a better knife in some respects the Superleaf is a good EDC if you are willing to accept its . Regards MG2
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I wish the superleaf was still available
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I bought one when they went on clearance, but never really connected with it. It's a nice knife, but for me it doesn't hold a candle to the Para 2 as far as ergonomics, efficiency, or appearance. I traded mine away and haven't regretted it. But, that's just my opinion. Others love theirs.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it's similarity to the Manix2 and Para2 lead to its demise. I have a Superhawk and love it. The leaf always just had a bit of a boring aesthetic. I don't doubt it's a terrific knife in every way and perhaps better than both the PM2 and M2, albeit at expense of pocket room.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

To me, the superleaf has too much handle and not enough blade. For as bulky a knife as a superleaf is, I'd like to have more cutting surface. I have other knives with just as much cutting edge, which ride much more nicely in my pocket.

If you want a beefy knife with a strong lock, sure, go for it - but if I hadn't picked mine up on clearance from sierra trading post, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Evil D wrote:Ultimately it was too similar yet too bulky compared to the Para 2 so I passed on it. The ergos are actually a bit better for me though, but it never came in 20CP so the Para got the win.
I would agree. It's a great design but I ended up carrying other knives more often than my Superleaf, based on my own usage preferences and needs. My only beefs were the bulk and lack of cutting edge per the overall length of the knife. I did like the fit, the compression lock, the choil, and the flow-through design. As with most knife preferences, like or disliking this one is based on your end use.

I gifted it to my brother who uses it as a hunting knife and loves it. The robust design is good for cleaning deer and flow-through design makes cleanup easier. It works for him. The down side is he does not have a sharpening system so I get tasked with sharpening and cleaning excess deer guts out of it for him.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I looked at the superleaf in the past, but went with the Manix XL instead, which ended up being a spectacular choice for me. The XL was cheaper, made in US, and a better blade to handle ratio. Unless you can't live without the comp lock I didn't see any advantage to the superleaf.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Another one with the "too much handle for the cutting edge" camp.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My attraction to thickish blades (I have a Techno and Southard Folder) began with the Superleaf. I EDCd it for a year. Hardly the perfect knife (biggest pocket hog I have; lot of handle for such short cutting edge; wireclip snapped when I grabbed for my keys) but I love flow-through designs, VG10, compression locks, leaf shapes, and a bit of heft. I still have a fondness for the Superleaf even though I don't carry it except for a novel change of pace.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

The SuperLeaf fell in the field where the ergos & portability had two kings already: the Manix and the Para2.

Not really easy to deal with such successful models...
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

the choil killed it for me, you ended up with a big heavy knife with little or less cutting edge than a Delica. Of course Strider sells overbuilt knives with choils and very little cutting edge and there seems to be lines around the block...
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I guess I'm one of the few with a real love for the Superleaf.
It's one of my most used knives and sees more pocket time than all my Para2s together.
Love the wired clip and the VG-10.
The blade/handle ratio of the Superleaf and the Para 2 are roughly similar:
Superleaf 3.35''/4.53'' and Para2 3.43''/4.76'', the only disadvantage of the Superleaf is the more pronounced choil of the blade.
It's somewhat a 70/30 choil, so you get less cutting edge compared to the Para 2.

To me the the Superleaf is one of the real successors of the C95 Lockback. Group pic of both with the Kris

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Why was the superleaf discontinued? Seems like a solid platform for a sprint
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Popsickle!

The usual reason to discontinue a model are bad sales.

And yes, it does make a very solid platform for a Sprint Run.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I found the blade to be too thick and edge too short for the packaging. I prefer a thinner slicier knife like a Caly 3.5 or Stretch, so YMMV.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I saw a Superleaf today as well........ which I think is gone now. I was considering making an offer but then priced it out and I could get a Manix 2 XL for cheaper up here in Canada and a regular Manix for even less. The 4mm and handle shape almost pushed me to make an offer but ultimately I let it go without an inquiry as I had just bought a Damascus Nishijin Stretch yesterday and decided that was enough knife purchasing for at least a month or so until the CF S110V Native 5 and SB Dragonfly's are released.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I picked one up at the discounted price and feel like I stole it. Great handle and a stout blade with rock solid lockup. I am of the school of thought that a handle is what should be designed for you to hold onto, not just where the blade goes. The superleaf handle is super comfortable and would be great if you are doing any extended cutting. I never once felt like it needed more blade.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
flash900

Post by flash900 »

The handle feels great in the hand. Love the ergos. The compression lock works even better than those on my Paras. The wonderful leaf blade is the closest I've found to the popular Strider shape but with Spydie's outstanding quality.

Love the looks. Bought three. Still kicking myself over a fourth that got away with pimped scales.

Enjoy looking. If you find that pimped one, please let me know!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie