Balance carbon fiber?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CarbonFiberNut

Balance carbon fiber?

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I've been on a bit of a "small knife" kick lately (corporate life will do that to ya!), and I'm considering a balance. I've got a nishijin cricket on the way in the mail, but just noticed that Knifeworks has the CF balance in stock. Does anyone here have experience with this model? Do you all remember what the going street price for them was when they were released? Over $100 for such a small knife is hard to justify, but I am intrigued by the uniqueness and the generally positive comments I've read regarding ergonomics. Any insight would certainly be appreciated.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've got one. It completely destroys plastic clamshell packaging. That said, I don't carry it that often. Usually a ladybug accompanies me instead (a lot more blade with a similar sized handle). It's very well built, feels nice in hand, and has great fit and finish. Street prices were around $112-128.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My records show I paid $125 for mine when they first came out. Get it, you won't regret it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I got one.. It finds its way in my pocket quite often.. I have used it to open those clam shell packages also.. It is vey useful for just about any cutting task I ask of it.. I like it way more than the Manbug I have also.. I got mine on a Sage1 trade.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Balance is a small, very robust beast. Capability outshines it's size ;)
Attachments
balance 004.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

the Cricket arrived today, and after looking at side-by-side size comparisons against the Balance, I think I actually talked myself out of the Balance. The Cricket's ergonomics are excellent, and it was on sale at bladehq for half what the Balance costs, so it's hard to justify the Balance right now. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out and hope it goes on sale too ;)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Love the look of the carbon fiber balance, but I do think it's a bit overpriced for what you get.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
LC Kid

SS Rules

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr CarbonFiberNut!

I really like the Balance design.

That said, I very much like the Stainless Steel version waaay more than the Carbon Fiber one.
:D
Stay Sharp!
thurin

Post by thurin »

I don't have a Cricket to compare it to, but the CF Balance is in my watch pocket every single day. Great little knife. The design makes it a conversation piece whenever someone sees it in action.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R.T.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

IMO, the ultimate gentleman's knife, perfect for the office atmosphere as well as anywhere else. I have gifted three Balance knives, all very well received.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

One of Spydercos most brilliant designs EVER! I own several and love them. It's a design you really have to use to appreciate.

Ken
玉鋼
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The little SS version is only 32g, the CF version is 41g. The SS version is one of the lightest and easiest to carry "office" knife in my collection. I wasn't sold when they first came out, but I carry it a lot now...

TedP
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Pinetreebbs wrote:IMO, the ultimate gentleman's knife, perfect for the office atmosphere as well as anywhere else. I have gifted three Balance knives, all very well received.
Need another friend? :D
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

phillipsted wrote:The little SS version is only 32g, the CF version is 41g. The SS version is one of the lightest and easiest to carry "office" knife in my collection. I wasn't sold when they first came out, but I carry it a lot now...

TedP
That's surprising that the Carbon Fiber version is heavier than the Stainless Steel one.

phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The scales on the SS model are very very thin, almost like liners. I think that the SS model is just the CF model with the CF missing... :D

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I only have the SS one and it's a bit thin. I think the CF would be far more comfortable in hand.

Size and price shouldn't go hand-in-hand. Just pretend it's an Apple product on clearance sale. :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Here's a quick and "eh" picture of the CF Balance and the Cricket on their backs, 1200 wide. Minutes old.....

The Balance CF is just extremely robust for it's size :D Mine has been taken off of the flash drive ring, clip put back on and currently carrying.

Don't know what the ss version is like, but the CF exudes "tough"
Attachments
balance cricket end.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

phillipsted wrote:The scales on the SS model are very very thin, almost like liners. I think that the SS model is just the CF model with the CF missing... :D

TedP
That's my impression as well, Ted.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

SS Balance does have a bit thinner blade as well, 2 mm vs. 2.5 mm of the CF version, if Spyderco catalogue has it right.

I ordered the CF version two years ago but never received it.. uninsured shipping across the Atlantic has it's risks, it seems. Have considered trying again, but may go with the ss version and try to replace the non-locking scale with a contraption of my own, to get the thinner blade.