How much are you willing to spend on a Sprint, Exclusive or Forum knife you missed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
btron

How much are you willing to spend on a Sprint, Exclusive or Forum knife you missed?

Post by btron »

I'm currently on the hunt for a Native 5 Forum Knife since sadly, I missed it. It brought up a question since we're all obviously huge fans of Spyderco; how much are you guys willing to spend on a Sprint Run, Dealer Exclusive or Forum knife that you guys missed but really want/need on the "other" markets? Or even discontinued knives that tickle your fancy that you didn't get a chance to own?

Are you guys willing to pay a premium (and how much is too much), hoping another run is produced or in the mind set, there will be something equivalent or better in the future?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's really tough to answer since it depends on so many variables. Condition, availability, time since release, grail status, seller relationship. I never thought I would pay more than $200 for a knife. $550 is my record now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Invective

Post by Invective »

So far my most expensive Spydie purchase has been a NIB Caly 3.5 SB which I got for $225. Definitely worth the price for me, although I haven't been tempted by many other things that are higher prices. Most of the other sprints that command a high price are PM2/Millies which I don't fancy, luckily enough for me.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I am willing to pay original market price, and not a penny more. There are always tons of new, awesome knives coming out - I have absolutely no motivation to help somebody else profiteer. No one knife is that important to me.

I used to have a very different opinion, when I collected a lot of Busse fixed blades, and that entire community is obsessive about how basically everything Busse makes is rare and limited. It becomes a sort of sickness, a bunch of people justifying hoarding and flipping knives because that's the only way to afford the knives they want, which other people are hoarding and flipping.

It's just a tool - a beautiful, well-designed tool, but a tool nonetheless. There are so many new knives in the pipeline that I would love to own, that I see no reason to pay extra for something that was sold in the past. Especially since I don't own a single knife that isn't a user. Heck, I've got a couple of factory seconds, which have terrible resale values, and I don't care one iota - because I can carry them in my pocket and cut things with them regardless of whether there's a little notch in the spine.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

....I paid $650 for a PM2 CF S90V NIB......

Worth every cent.....

....but I still weeped like a little girl when I pushed the PayPal button....

:)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I couldn't spend more than twice the normal cost, not unless it's been like 10 years. Plenty of other knives to buy. :)
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

There is no Sprint/Exclusive I'm willing to pay $50 over original retail. Lots of other choices available, and to my way of thinking, something else will soon come along, catch my eye, and make me forget about the one that got away. I may want them all, but I don't gotta have them all!

I'm speaking strictly for myself here, and about no one else....there's self-indulgence, and then there's lunacy.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

If I really love a knife, I'd go a little over retail. When the mil cruwear came out, you could get one for about $150, I missed out and paid $200. I'd never spend 2 times, 3 times, etc. for a knife. There are always great knives coming out, so no need to pay twice, thrice retail.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most I paid was $400 for a NIB M4 Military a few years ago.

Nowadays I just do window shopping :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've lost out on a 25th Anniversary Delica a time or two after the price climbed north of $450. I'd probably also drop $300-350 on a WTC D'Allara.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it's being flipped, not a penny more than street price. I did buy my 20cp from a retailer for $219, which was $40 over street price. Anything over two bills has to be special for me to bother. There are just too many great knives for less and I'm not a collector.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm really out of that sprint run fandango now and I'm enjoying using what I have so much more than drooling after something that I don't have.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I stay at original market price and not much more. Rarely do I go over. This is sadly why Ill probably never get another Para 20CP or Caly 3.5 SB among many others. Sometimes I get lucky though. Gotta stick to my guns.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

I would probably pay like 30 more for a sprint. I see people flipping green paras on ebay for 230, but that's way too much for me to pay. #Poor
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends. In the past I've paid more than six times original MSRP for a a few really rare Qs, up tor triple original MSRP for some very early, rare Spydercos, and high prices for a couple prototypes. However, I'm fairly confident that I have enough "tasty" stuff I could use for trading material because it doesn't really fit into one of my collection groups that if, by some chance, I'd screwed up and missed out on the Forum Native or one of the Stretch Sprint Runs, I could have traded for it painlessly. Truth is, in the past few years there have only been a very few new Spydercos that I've felt compelled to add to my collection.

As for the Forum Native, I guess it would depend on "why" I wanted it. If I needed it to complete a collection of Spyderco Forum Models, it would be worth a premium to me. If I just wanted an S110V Native 5, I'd probably just wait for one of the other versions that are in the pipeline.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

After I initially got bit, I was shocked when I found out about sprints and the secondary market prices. I have never paid MSRP on anything, the closest I gotten is probably 20% under. On my one and only secondary market purchase so far, I got extremely lucky and found a Caly 3.5 SB for about $180 all in. Recently I "went crazy" and dropped $370 for one of the limited edition para2's, but again that was about 20% under msrp. The gray para is the one I really wanted, to go with my other gray sprints, but in a strange way finding the CF at a dealer for that price felt like a better deal than chasing down a gray for above msrp on the secondary market, even if the gray would have been less $$$ overall.

Like others have mentioned, Spyderco has no plans to stop producing awesome sprints or new models, so if you misssd the boat on something, just wait a bit and there will be another one... Also, with patience, there are good guys out there and you just may find someone who isn't all about the money and who will accept a reasonable offer on something you've gotta have.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I try not to go above original MSRP. With a little patience, you can still find some great deals out there.
:bug-red-white
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

I won't pay more than MSRP for any of them, regardless of how bad I want them. My cheapness overrules my love for Spydies!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I try to roughly judge the honest "fair market" price and what I'd be willing to pay off a formula based on the original MSRP, years since being disco'd, and rarity factor (with a small bit of completely subjective "really have to have that one" on top). That said I have not paid more than $400 for anything (and very few items at that level), although I was tempted to do so for a CF S90V PM2 on the secondary market (having missed that one when it was released and I read this forum too much!). Thankfully I was rewarded for holding off cause I snagged one of NGK's CPM 154/S90V PM2's last month for less than $300!! That deserves a boo-yah in my book (loving your vids Gino!)!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've not paid over original street price for a knife. There will always be other knives I want, but can't justify spending the money for. That's life.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal