Delica - Great Family Knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
G-Solutions

Delica - Great Family Knife!

Post by G-Solutions »

I've been logging a Delica around for the last five plus years - it's my workhose, the blade that I use most often. As far as defensive purposes go, it is a backup to my trusty Yojimbo 2. For day-to-day stuff such as cutting open boxes, stripping wires, cutting fruits, I use the Delica... in most cases because that little knife does not scare people ;) .

So - as my sons advanced in Cub Scouts and got their Whittling Chip -the permission to carry a pocket knife during our meetings and outings- I let them choose a knife that then made its way onto their birthday or Christmas list. They tested out a couple of my knives and both made the same decision: they wanted a Delica.

A big thank you to Spyderco for making them in different grip colors - each of us has a different color so there's no danger of getting them mixed up. When we're camping they just whittle away on sticks or make wood shavings to start a fire with. At home, or when we head out on a trip they clip it into the pocket and had it handy more than once when my wife needed a cutting tool.

I also enjoy the thought that these knifes will last them for a very, very long time!
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Delica: Great ___ Knife. There's nothing this workhorse won't do. I know there's much love for the Endura as well, but the full grip and just right sizing make the Delica something special. Everything you need, nothing you don't. My first Spyderco, and although it's capable of everything I need, it started the addiction. I only wish I had chosen the Delica as my whittling chip knife! Congrats to you and your sons!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've been carrying a Delica as a backup blade for the past few weeks. It is a good size and a very good knife for someone that doesn't need a big blade, doesn't care about one-hand operation, doesn't mind plastic handle. I still have the clip on mine but I drop it in my pocket with my other stuff and clip my big folder on my pocket.
Ned

Post by Ned »

When my son got his "toten-chip" I bought him a blue FFG Delica. He has taken it with him on every scout outing since. I love the Delica it is a great knife.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bdblue wrote:It is a good size and a very good knife for someone that ... doesn't care about one-hand operation
Maybe it's because I've been carrying lockback Spydercos since I got my first Endura, Delica, and Rescue in Zytel in the 90s, but I've never had any problems operating any Spyderco lockback I've ever owned with one hand. This includes the delica.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I too have never had a problem closing any of Spyderco's backlock knives with just one hand.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:but I've never had any problems operating any Spyderco lockback I've ever owned with one hand. This includes the delica.
Some of us have been carrying lockback knives for a very long time, before linerlocks were in wide production. Please be very careful trying to operate one one-handed, I've seen some serious cuts from people that closed the blade on their finger while doing that.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Closing a Spyderco back lock is easy thanks to the Spydie hole. I place the index finger in the hole while depressing the lock with the thumb. That way, the blade is always under control. It's fast, easy, and safe.
:bug-red-white
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bdblue wrote:Some of us have been carrying lockback knives for a very long time, before linerlocks were in wide production. Please be very careful trying to operate one one-handed, I've seen some serious cuts from people that closed the blade on their finger while doing that.
With the spyderhole, it's extremely easy to control the closing motion of a Spyderco lockback. I've closed mine one handed thousands of times over the last twenty years and never once been bitten while closing one.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

electron

Post by electron »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Maybe it's because I've been carrying lockback Spydercos since I got my first Endura, Delica, and Rescue in Zytel in the 90s, but I've never had any problems operating any Spyderco lockback I've ever owned with one hand. This includes the delica.
CarbonFiberNut wrote:With the spyderhole, it's extremely easy to control the closing motion of a Spyderco lockback. I've closed mine one handed thousands of times over the last twenty years and never once been bitten while closing one.
Agreed.

I've always been stumped by the "can't close delicas/enduras/etc. one handed" claim. I've carried back-lock Spydercos since the early nineties and I don't think I've ever come close to cutting myself while closing one of them one-handed. I'm particularly confused by the fact that liner and frame locks escape this criticism, given the fact that disengaging the lock requires you to place your thumb (or other digit) in the blade path.
Sage1, GB Air, FFG Delica4, Endura1, Squeak
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Great knife ! My Delica FFG in ZDP189 is my go to knife.The perfect combo for me: primary Para 2 in M390 and Delica in ZDP189 as a back-up.And yes, I can close my Delica one hand smooth and fast using the ricasso.My trusted Delica can take care of most of my cutting chores.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

electron wrote:I'm particularly confused by the fact that liner and frame locks escape this criticism, given the fact that disengaging the lock requires you to place your thumb (or other digit) in the blade path.
Closiing a lockback knife you put your finger on one side of the handle and push down the lock with your thumb, your finger is right in the way of the blade. If you carefully start the blade closed with your other hand you are fine but if you have to push the blade against your leg or some other handy surface then that is risky. Or the alternative- put your thumb on the inside of the handle and push the lock closed with your index finger. Either way I can't get a finger into the thumb hole.

I did a search on youtube and the first 5 hits all close the blade with the fingers in the way. I got tired of looking at videos because they all did it about the same way:
https://youtu.be/Usp0RX3LUYA
https://youtu.be/rPQLl8rCgI8
https://youtu.be/9Kd2MfkyqT4
https://youtu.be/LbmLhzeIwiI
https://youtu.be/U7WhNgnR_mk
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The kick on the delica is designed to fall onto the first finger instead of cutting anyway. If you hold a delica normally, and release the lock, the kick will contact your pointer finger before the edge will. I've always loved the fail-safe aspect of the design.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here's how I close most back locks safely and easily, shown in a photo sequence...

(no, I didn't cut myself with a knife... I almost never cut myself with knives, it's always something strange... this time I got a pretty bad cut while washing a colander in the sink. :confused: )

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Delica is a wonderful knife. I like the one with the Emerson Wave feature, best.

The Salt 1 is like an H-1 Steel Delica, isn't it everyone?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yes and no. The blade is definitely very similar if not identical, but the handle is different. First, it is liner-less, and all metals used are rustproof. Second, the FRN has the volcano grip (I believe) and not the bi-directional texture. And third, the shape is a bit different.

I'm such a fan of the bi-directional texture that I admit the lack thereof on the Salt 1 has prevented me from picking one up. That and I don't really NEED rustPROOF, the VG-10 works well enough for my uses.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bdblue wrote: I got tired of looking at videos because they all did it about the same way:
That "same way" shown in all your videos sucks. There is no need at all to utilize gravity to close a spyderco lockback one handed. Gbelleh's photo series is much closer to the way I close mine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The last video is pretty close to how I do it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

bdblue wrote:I've been carrying a Delica as a backup blade for the past few weeks. It is a good size and a very good knife for someone that doesn't need a big blade, doesn't care about one-hand operation, doesn't mind plastic handle. I still have the clip on mine but I drop it in my pocket with my other stuff and clip my big folder on my pocket.
You can't one hand operate a delica? I have been inertial or gravity dropping the kick onto my finger for about ten years-literally thousands of times (maybe tens of thousands) and never once cut myself closing the knife. Perfectly safe.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:That "same way" shown in all your videos sucks. There is no need at all to utilize gravity to close a spyderco lockback one handed. Gbelleh's photo series is much closer to the way I close mine.
I'd say that everyone is entitled to their own methodology. No one way "sucks". All good, just different.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal