How to prevent super blue from rusting?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

How to prevent super blue from rusting?

Post by Kylems11 »

I own a stretch super blue and as of the moment i am not using this knife. I dont want the blade to rust so i am wondering what kind of oil i should put on the blade to prevent it from rusting while its being stored? Is there a certain or special kind i need? I am not very familiar with super blue steel and the methods to keep it from rusting.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

For storage, mineral oil, the most simple will be effective. I use Ballistol because I have it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you use your knife for food prep I would get a bottle of mineral oil (cheap) and a tube of Flitz metal polish. Keep the blade clean, dry, and oiled. If rust/patina appears scrub it out with the Flitz, clean, and re-oil.

If you don't and just want to keep corrosion at bay, I would get a Tuf-Cloth and a tube of Flitz metal polish. Same drill except just pull the rag out and lightly wipe the SB areas, then push it back in the resealable bag.

There are other natural and synthetic products you can buy. Those just seem to work for me.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Tuf-Glide. No Joke.

I've cleaned M4 blades with soap and hot water and then coated them with Tuf-Glide and let them sit until it dries (overnight). After that wipe off the residue and I've not had it rust since. I've occasionally put another coat of it on here and there but it works. It's like it embeds itself in the steel or something.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Don't be afraid of a patina. It's the blackening of the blade and it provides a fair amount of corrosion resistance. It's preference if you like the look, but know it isn't hurting anything like orange rust would.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple