U.S.A. Little Big Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MachSchnell

U.S.A. Little Big Knives

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I am in full support of this! imo the dragonfly is the perfect size for general EDC tasks. I started carrying a ladybug with a lanyard and it has not disappointed either
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Dodo and Leafstorm were the last to be released from Golden (I think). They weren't exactly cheap but I do love the Dodo :) . Never held a Leafstorm.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

As Blake pointed out, the Leafstorm was the first LBK that came to my mind also. Although I've heard some say that the Leafstorm is ergonomically-challenged (my words), I find it to be a fantastic little knife that has true cutting potential far beyond its size. I too would love to see more US-made LBK's from Spyderco. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't care where spyderco makes them but I too am fascinated by smaller knives. I recently caught and released a Boker Nano and even though it has ergonomics that would never have made it out of Golden, it's still just really interesting to carry around. Kind of like those little derringer pistols -- interesting, but not that useful.

Spyderco small knives are of course always useful. Even the Cricket! I'd like to see some stouter LBK's though, like a mini Techno.
All God's critters have knives.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A smaller Techno would be sweet. I'm pretty psyched about the upcoming mini Lionspy too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

ya mini techno! make it the size of the bug, but keep the 4.5 mm spine!
-Spencer

Rotation:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My favorite LBK's are the Dragonfly and Pingo. I don't think I actually own any USA Spydies that I'd put in that category.

Hmmm....maybe I ought to find a couple. :)
Sully

Post by Sully »

Love the idea of a USA, Earth LBK, or even a gentleman's folder-sized Spyderco. Perhaps a Ti Chaparral with Reclaimed American Chestnut inlays. Made in the USA, just this once.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Leafstorm was good. Should be doable to get one. Think it was around $160ish when they were out..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:I am in full support of this! imo the dragonfly is the perfect size for general EDC tasks. I started carrying a ladybug with a lanyard and it has not disappointed either

Am I seeing things or has that blade formed a patina past the laminate line? Maybe shadows or something on the blade?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

this is my NIB version and doesnt have any patina haha. but they do go past a bit, for example, here is my delica when it formes its initial patina:

and this is what it looks like now after a month or so:

-Spencer

Rotation:
LC Kid

Holy Trinity!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="Holland"]ya mini techno! make it the size of the bug, but keep the 4.5 mm spine![/quote]

That would be a Smash Hit!

Just imagine The Holy Trinity:[/font]
:D - Spyderco Slysz Bowie

- Spyderco Techno

- Spyderco Mini Techno
Stay Sharp!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I bought a Ladybug but it was too small so I gave it to my daughter. I bought a dragonfly but it was too small so I gave it to my wife. I bought a Delica and I am carrying it right now as my backup knife. It is a reasonable size if you don't have to do much with it, but it would be too small to be my primary knife.

"A big knife can do everything that a small knife can do, but a small knife cannot do everything that a big knife can do."
gph

Post by gph »

A big knife can't be carried every day with the same ease as a small knife.

My main edc is an LBK clipless in the watch pocket. It leaves all other pockets clear and can be drawn with ease. My big knives are only used for work and outdoor excursions.

To the OP, I'm all for any new Spyderco LBKs.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I think the ultimate lil' big American made knife was already made some time ago.
Can't wait for the Lil' Temp 2, but Sal and Eric told us in Amsterdam that it will be made in Japan.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I'd like to see a mini pm2 personally!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MadMaximus wrote:I'd like to see a mini pm2 personally!
I'd like to see a PM2 XL. But I'd take a next generation military with a compression lock. :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

TomAiello wrote:I'd like to see a PM2 XL. But I'd take a next generation military with a compression lock. :)
For a smaller knife, isn't the Sage a good replacement for the Para 2?

For a bigger knife, isn't the Military, Manix 2 XL or Superleaf a good replacement?

I realize that only one of those 4 has a compression lock, but I don't care as much about the lock as some people do. I realize that the Para 2 is slimmer and lighter than many of these, is this the reason that it would be favored?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

MarcusH wrote:I think the ultimate lil' big American made knife was already made some time ago.
Can't wait for the Lil' Temp 2, but Sal and Eric told us in Amsterdam that it will be made in Japan.

Good thing I have a US made 440V leaf :D

Bit bigger than what I'd call a "little big knife", but still ;)