A Review: Caly 3.5 and the Hype Machine That is the Internet...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah. The Caly 3.5 is right there with the Para 2 as my top favorites. Enjoy!
:bug-red-white
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice review. Glad it worked out for you and I wish my experiences would have been similar to yours.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

My 1st one was junk and I sent it back for a refund. My 2nd one is OK, but still has up/down play, something that my $15 Ka-Bar Dozier Hunter folders do not. In additional, I don't like the feel of the Caly in my hands. Sorry, didn't mean to muck-up your thread with my issues. I'm glad you're pleased, as are many other Caly owners.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My only niggle with the superb Caly 3.5 is that the choil disappears when the blade is half closed. In consequence, it is blade, not choil (as with the Stretch), that greets fingers when pressing the mid-lock to flick the blade closed. :eek: That said, I'll soon have another...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sully

Post by Sully »

wrdwrght wrote:My only niggle with the superb Caly 3.5 is that the choil disappears when the blade is half closed. In consequence, it is blade, not choil (as with the Stretch), that greets fingers when pressing the mid-lock to flick the blade closed. :eek: That said, I'll soon have another...
So true. Had to retrain myself to leave my index finger in the choil when starting to disengage the mid-lock. Habit now. Still wrdwrght's insight is very helpful when comparing the closing action to other Spydercos (ie Natives).

Impressed with the Black G-10 Caly 3.5 overall. Got a good one straight from SFO as a replacement. Just wish there was some way to mod the basic black handle to make it more unique-looking.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's one thing the Native has going for it over the Caly, sorry to say...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm actually a little shocked I don't own one yet. I'm not sure why, it's most likely because I'm totally out of love with back locks, but it really is a fantastic knife. I still consider my ZDP Caly 3 to be the first serious high end knife I ever owned and it's a knife I'll never part with (until it's handed down to my son). I kinda wish I had jumped on the Superblue sprint but aside from being an awesome slicer and having awesome ergos, there are other knives I'd probably carry first. Still I do think I'll pick up both a ZDP version and the standard VG10 version at some point. The original VG10 Caly 3 is one of the all time best general purpose EDC knives you will ever see.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yeah David, everyone really should have one of these in a proper growing collection such as yours! Do it now! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I have the CF version, but I have been thinking on this purchase for a while! Due to the extreme popularity they will be around for a while so I'm going to wait till the end of this year! I just love so many different models, the Caly series has taken a back seat, but it has grown on me very much! :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The Caly 3.5 is the best knife Spyderco makes period
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:David can you stand the peer pressure?
Well let's be realistic, it's never about will you buy, it's about when lol.
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I haven't grabbed a 3.5 but am a huge fan of the 3 (G10, CF, Damascus, Superblue). Have had a hard time justifying the move up but I really want one. If the 3 wasn't my perfect edc (almost) it would be easier.

Does size matter?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

wrdwrght wrote:In consequence, it is blade, not choil (as with the Stretch), that greets fingers when pressing the mid-lock to flick the blade closed.
I refrain from flicking closed because of things like this, and you can have body parts in the wrong place when flicking closed a knife with any kind of lock.

I prefer to operate lockback knives with both hands, which is the reason that I almost never buy them.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

akaAK wrote:I haven't grabbed a 3.5 but am a huge fan of the 3 (G10, CF, Damascus, Superblue). Have had a hard time justifying the move up but I really want one. If the 3 wasn't my perfect edc (almost) it would be easier.

Does size matter?
I can see your hesitancy to try the 3.5 Caly. I love my 3 and carry it more than my 3.5, but for maximum blade length with all of the great qualities the 3 has, it's a really hard option to avoid.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I most likely will spring for the G10/VG10 3.5 just as a replacement for my 3 in that combo. My replacement was gifted to my brother in-law (his exact words "this is the sharpest knife we have ever had in our house"). The 3.5 will be a suitable if not exact replacement.

So size does matter.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

akaAK wrote:I haven't grabbed a 3.5 but am a huge fan of the 3 (G10, CF, Damascus, Superblue). Have had a hard time justifying the move up but I really want one. If the 3 wasn't my perfect edc (almost) it would be easier.

Does size matter?
Couple things to consider would be, do you ever find that you need or want a longer blade for reach or making very deep cuts? Does the idea of longer edge to distribute wear on appeal to you? If you make a lot of cuts using the tip, a longer blade can feel more cumbersome than a shorter blade for detailed cutting. The catalog lists the carbon fiber 3 and 3.5 as only being .1oz different in weight, which I find impossible to believe since the handles being nearly the same size yet there's more blade...but still I'm sure they're very similar in weight, at least to the point where it's almost impossible to tell the difference when holding both. Lastly for me the ergos of the 3 have always been my favorite part of the knife, it just feels perfect for a saber grip, while the 3.5 feels "looser" because the handle is slightly bigger. I wouldn't call this a bad thing, just an observation, and I do have big hands.
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

The extra length is negligble for my normal uses. If I need legth I usually carry something else. The Caly 3 works as it is the upper limit I am comfortable with in a work (office environment). I haven't held a 3.5 so I will keep your comments on the handle in mind. Ergos are a funny thing as they differ greatly for each individual. I imagine my biggest problem is other knives (sprints) that are a more pressing need.

Thanks for the input.
Holland

Post by Holland »

swigert wrote:I'm really just amazed how so many different Spydercos feel great. They have figured out to make knives with great ergos and still have unique handle shapes and exotic blades.
well said sir
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Since the UKPK handle fits my hand sooo good I will have to get a Caly 3. The 3.5 is great too, it just might be a bit too long of a handle for me.
Need to see some comparison pics Caly 3/3.5/UKPK :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got my superblue 3.5 last week and love it. I also picked up a caly 3 in zdp for my dad yesterday. If I had to choose, based solely on size I would probably take the 3. I tend to like larger blades in my heavier use knives, but in a knife like the caly, I find the size of the 3 just about perfect. They are both great though.