Will s110v be Golden's "ZDP"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Will s110v be Golden's "ZDP"?

Post by TomAiello »

I love how the Japan Spydies have a production option in ZDP for upgraded steel.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a similar "upgraded steel" production option for Golden models?

Imagine seeing the Native 5 s110v...Manix 2 lightweight s110v...ParaMilitary 2 s110v...Military s110v...

I know I'd be willing to pay the premium price for the premium steel in these models. I own the Stretch, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Delica and Endura in ZDP, and the upgrade is well worth the cost difference to me. I realize that s110v would be a "bigger" upgrade with a larger price spread, but I'd still be all over it.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I like the idea
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
paladin

Post by paladin »

Native 5 s110v is going to be a reality...check Mr. Blonde's Amsterdam proto. post :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

I'd be all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Like white on rice. Like...well, you get the idea.
nccole

Post by nccole »

I would love that. I think it might happen as I believe Sal eluded to S110V having a dark blue color, much like BRG and ZDP-189. That reference was made regarding the Manix LW in S110V.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What is special is the concept of putting "super" steels in affordable everyday knives meant to be users. The fact that spyderco is putting steels usually reserved for high end and custom knives in their popular and affordable frn knives is a gift to all of us. With the success of the zdp endura/stretch/delica/dragonfly etc. it is only logical that we will see the same concept implemented in golden. With less frn/frcp models produced in Golden than in Seki it leaves us with the obvious S110V LW Native/Native5 and the S110V LW Manix2 which is supposed to be on its way. Happy days ahead! So yes, I would say that you are right and we are going to see S110V used in a similar way in golden as it has been used in the Japanese models. We are also supposed to see a CF S110V Native5 which is a parrallel to the ZDP Caly CF models.
Holland

Post by Holland »

This would be an amazing idea and I'm all for it. I would buy an s110v manix2 LW in a heartbeat
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Would be great. S90V would also be "enough". I'd buy so much more Spydies....
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

That would be....awesome
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Holland

Post by Holland »

_centurio_ wrote:Would be great. S90V would also be "enough". I'd buy so much more Spydies....
i was just thinking this as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm conflicted. Not between S110V and S90V, but between buying the proposed Golden offerings and also affording my rekindled love of fixed blades and guns.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

wrdwrght wrote:I'm conflicted. Not between S110V and S90V, but between buying the proposed Golden offerings and also affording my rekindled love of fixed blades and guns.
This is a daily conflict for many of us here. I share your pain!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

IMO, CPM-s110v really isn't the equivalent to ZDP-189 in regards to grinding. I don't know the costs involved but if the forum Native5's were around 64 hrc that is a seriously wear resistant steel.

CPM-s90v has always been the domestic answer to hitachi's super carbon/chromium monster. That or or the various M390 equivalents. Personally, I would like to see more variety in the FRN models coming out of Golden. Some UKPK's and Manix2 LW's in various sprint colors and steels.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote:Native 5 s110v is going to be a reality...check Mr. Blonde's Amsterdam proto. post :)
Native5 S110V is already reality. I carry it since last summer and love it, because it is dark green :) . S110V is not bad either. I reprofiled it, when I received it. And since that just touching up on Sharpmaker's medium once in a while. The knife is cardboard eater.
_centurio_ wrote:Would be great. S90V would also be "enough". I'd buy so much more Spydies....
Do you think that S90V is much less expensive? Many of us probably will not feel the difference during the use between S90V and S110V.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

paladin wrote:Native 5 s110v is going to be a reality...check Mr. Blonde's Amsterdam proto. post :)
Yes, and Sal said he was carrying a Manix LW in s110v also. I was wondering if this could be the start of something amazing.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

TomAiello wrote:Yes, and Sal said he was carrying a Manix LW in s110v also. I was wondering if this could be the start of something amazing.
I wouldn't say that it is the start of something amazing but more the evolution of something that was already amazing. Spyderco has been amazing in general since their start decades ago.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
paladin

Post by paladin »

[quote="bh49"]Native5 S110V is already reality. I carry it since last summer and love it, because it is dark green :) . S110V is not bad either. I reprofiled it, when I received it. And since that just touching up on Sharpmaker's medium once in a while. The knife is cardboard eater.

Yup...thanks, I was thinking N5 s110v LightWeight but I got caught in a daydream in the middle of typing that awe-inspiring phrase :o
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

You had me at s110v Military!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

So an S110V FFG Manix in G10 is a possibility? Count me in
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Yes. Fantastic idea. PLEASE release a native lightwieght..

Edit: and exactly what blerv said
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.