Delica 4 ffg vs chaparral 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Deacon wrote:...but I can also get a good solid 4 finger grip on it without using the choil.
Well it's funny because I would point to your photo and say something different. I don't consider that a solid grip. Sure, all four fingers are on the handle but your palm is hanging off. Try cutting something with force like that versus a Delica. Just my opinion.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Holland and Deacon: Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Chaparral. Sounds as if it's adequately strong for the sort of things I do with a knife.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Alpacalypse007 wrote:I am trying to pick between the delica and chaparral. What are the pros and cons of each and if the chaparral is worth the extra pennies for EDC use. I know these are fairly different knives so any help is appreciated.

I've owned both. I still have my Chaparral. Never liked the look/feel of the Delica-4, but I certainly tried my best to like it. The Chaparral is my one Spyderco that I'd never get rid of.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ABX2011 wrote:Well it's funny because I would point to your photo and say something different. I don't consider that a solid grip. Sure, all four fingers are on the handle but your palm is hanging off. Try cutting something with force like that versus a Delica. Just my opinion.
Just goes to show how perceptions differ. I don't see any appreciable difference in the security of the grip...

...OTOH, the Chaparral allows me the option to choke up and use the choil, while I'd be less inclined to put my index finger forward of the handle on a Delica even though I know there's a fair amount of tang for it to rest on.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Delica for knock around EDC, Chaparral for dressier occasions. That's just me.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have never had a Chaparral and this thread really makes me want one.

One other thought is to grab a Delica in ZDP-189. In my opinion well worth the $90 price tag.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
paladin

Post by paladin »

David Lowry wrote:I have never had a Chaparral and this thread really makes me want one.

One other thought is to grab a Delica in ZDP-189. In my opinion well worth the $90 price tag.
You've had the Delica experience (multiple times, yes?)...Go with the Chaparral, just...this...one time. Trust me , I'm a professional.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Holland

Post by Holland »

David Lowry wrote:I have never had a Chaparral and this thread really makes me want one.

Definitely try a chaparral first :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just ordered a Chaparral. Not sure if it will come with the CPM-S30V blade or the CTS-XHP. I honestly don't care either way. :) Looking forward to it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Love my Chaparral CF.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

swigert wrote:I would love some pics of the sage 1 and chaparral side by side both closed and open. I've never really looked into the chap only because in my head I think it is so close to the sage.
I found this and post number 11 in this thread is what you seek.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t-of-Pics)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Got the Chaparral last night. CTS-XHP with CF handles. Great knife, love it!

I removed the clip and it's in my pocket.
Holland

Post by Holland »

When u removed the clip, did the back of the handle wiggle? I found the screws were to big and didn't work without the clip on
-Spencer

Rotation:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Holland, nope. I had a shorter screw ready for that. I had a few of those shorter screws lying around for when I ran my G10 UKPK or Sage clipless a year ago. They were the same size as the short one you need to run a Chaparral clipless so I used it. If I would have used the factory screw from the Chaparral, it would have been sticking up a bit. I do not know if it would have wiggled though.
arty

Post by arty »

I have the Chaparral in my pocket more than most of my knives (the Rookie is in there right now). I removed the clip and added a small black O-ring as a spacer. It works fine.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been carrying my CF Chaparral without the clip and with the original screws for three years. Screw will move side-to-side a bit if I play with it, but the screw that's hidden under the scales keeps the back end of the handle rock solid.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Deacon wrote:Been carrying my CF Chaparral without the clip and with the original screws for three years. Screw will move side-to-side a bit if I play with it, but the screw that's hidden under the scales keeps the back end of the handle rock solid.
Ive taken the scales completely off and just with the liners it still had no play :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

David Lowry wrote:Holland, nope. I had a shorter screw ready for that. I had a few of those shorter screws lying around for when I ran my G10 UKPK or Sage clipless a year ago. They were the same size as the short one you need to run a Chaparral clipless so I used it. If I would have used the factory screw from the Chaparral, it would have been sticking up a bit. I do not know if it would have wiggled though.
Where's a good place to get replacement screws for Spyderco clips and so forth?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

DougC-3 wrote:Where's a good place to get replacement screws for Spyderco clips and so forth?
I got mine from Spyderco.