Spyderco Art Piece: Which is the best one for it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Art Piece: Which is the best one for it?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Say you wanted to produce a sculpture which catches the "peak classic" of what Spyderco Knives is all about, and were going to work it in a metal like stainless steel or bronze. Which of all the Spyderco folders or fixed blades (both) would you choose as "The representative knife" for Spyderco knives? Would you make a big Endura or Delica, a Native, or which is the best of the entire line to use as your model?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I would go with the Delica 4. In fact, ever since I got the Super Blue Delica, I've been marveling at its design. It's proportionally pleasing to the eye, open or closed. The molded FRN handle is highly refined ergonomically, but the pattern is also aesthetically interesting to closely examine. To me, the Delica perfectly sums up what Spyderco represents. It's not too big or too small, and not aggressive looking. It might not be the fanciest, but to me it's a beautiful example of refined purposeful efficiency. IMO, it's a beautiful object to observe independent of purpose, but becomes even more beautiful when used.
:bug-red-white
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'd have to go with a Delica or Endura. Maybe a military. They seem to be the flagship models for spyderco.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The worker was the first model and NASA put one in the Voyager which is on its way to destinations unknown so I vote for that. It is the pocket knife that changed all pocket knives forever.
btron

Post by btron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The worker was the first model and NASA put one in the Voyager which is on its way to destinations unknown so I vote for that. It is the pocket knife that changed all pocket knives forever.
Wow, really? I'd love a link to read to about that!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Jess Horn C27
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I'd say Endura. Or Para 2
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The worker was the first model and NASA put one in the Voyager which is on its way to destinations unknown so I vote for that. It is the pocket knife that changed all pocket knives forever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Voyager 2 was launched in August 1977 and Voyager 1 in September 1977, but the Worker model wasn't introduced until October 1981. So unless Sal has a time machine, I don't see how this would have been possible.
sal wrote:The C01 "Worker" model was introduced in Octoberr of 1981 at the Texas State Fair in Dallas.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Oops. I think I started that rumor about Voyager with an elaborate post telling that story. But it was all fiction!
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

No, it's not true. I am at work and multi tasking and was about to post again that I was just kidding but got distracted. lol. I loved that one. The thread was a bunch of ideas about why it says Earth on the Golden spydies and it has always stuck in my head. Early April fools!!!
bearfacedkiller

The golden record is the only thing on either voyager.

I was really trying to sell the worker. Lol!!!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Chokwe or Shabaria....IMO these are two of Spyderco's most "artful" pieces.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Delica
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

...and it isn't even April Fools Day yet! :rolleyes:

TedP

P.S. - I vote for the Delica, just because it has become so iconic. But what you really want to show off are the three core innovations that Sal introduced - the Spydie Hole, the pocket clip, and the Spyderedge.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

We should start a Kickstarter fundraiser to raise enough money to launch a Spyderco Worker (the knife, not an employee) into space.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The Worker (especially the upcoming G10 version). It is THE KNIFE that altered the design trajectory of the pocket knife industry. At time when the pocket knife world was saturated with blocky and heavy bolstered, bone or wood scaled, Buck 110 and 110 look a likes, out came the sleek, slender, ergonomically contoured Spyderco Clip-it (as the Worker was then frequently called) with a never before seen (at least at a production level) hole for one hand opening AND built-in pocket clip.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is easy, Paul already owns a few of them. POLICE!

This is a beautiful version as well

(none of these images are mine)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

phillipsted wrote:...and it isn't even April Fools Day yet! :rolleyes:

TedP

P.S. - I vote for the Delica, just because it has become so iconic. But what you really want to show off are the three core innovations that Sal introduced - the Spydie Hole, the pocket clip, and the Spyderedge.
I agree. While I still vote for the worker, I would say that including all three of those features would definitely be key.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Civilian.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Either the Police SS or Military. For me the idea of one model representing the entire lineup, is considering all the other models that aren't a Delica or Endura, because the design and "style" of Spyderco knives has gone quite far away from those designs and I don't think they truly represent the company and design as a whole anymore. That would be like saying the F150 represents Ford as a vehicle, when they make so many other models in vastly different designs. Now that I think more about it, I think the one knife that has the most new and old mixed into it, the most old styling meets new styling, is probably the Caly 3.5. Unlike the Delica, the Caly carries over a lot of tradition but has also changed a lot more from the original design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David