If a Walking Dead type Zombie Apocalypse came,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

To keep in spirit of the fun, I wouldn't mind having a Millie or the Tatanka.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is pretty much perfect right here. You have the spike on top for reach/puncture, the hammer to bludgeon, and the blade to cleave. You could take a standard wood handle carpenter's hammer, and pound a large 10in nail into the top and grind the head off into a point and make a modern version pretty easily. Put the claw end of the hammer on a grinder and sharpen it up and you're in business.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
devman

Post by devman »

Would want a fixed blade for sure but I think my Gayle Bradley would do in a pinch😉
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Zombies... Sal working on a katana or actually how about a Scottish claymore folder.
:)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Evil D wrote:This is pretty much perfect right here. You have the spike on top for reach/puncture, the hammer to bludgeon, and the blade to cleave. You could take a standard wood handle carpenter's hammer, and pound a large 10in nail into the top and grind the head off into a point and make a modern version pretty easily. Put the claw end of the hammer on a grinder and sharpen it up and you're in business.

You'll wear out quick though. Thing is no doubt heavy after swinging it over and over, even for a big guy.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is the problem...normal humans have to eat and drink and breathe and we tire and wear out. Zombies would be relentless, mindless killing and eating machines. Almost like sharks on two legs. But even sharks react to pain and attack and can be veered off if hit in the right place enough times.

What would be very cool is this: In science fiction there are VIBRO BLADES. These are knives, axes, swords, and edged tools that have a miniaturized ultra sonic generator or something that allows the blades to cut through nearly anything with ease.

How many zombies could you take down with a standard VG10 Endura or Pacific Salt is my question?
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Three pages and not a single reference to the Police 3. Just to mix it up, I'll pick that as my go to.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Officer Gigglez wrote:You'll wear out quick though. Thing is no doubt heavy after swinging it over and over, even for a big guy.
Maybe, but I've done framing and roofing, pounded a lot of nails. I guess you'd put more effort in pounding a zombie but it needs a little heft to break the skull even if it's a machete. Think about how heavy a cleaver needs to be to chop bone. You wouldn't chop the same bones with a chef's knife.
~David
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I'd take the Military I just got today :D
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Officer Gigglez wrote:You'll wear out quick though. Thing is no doubt heavy after swinging it over and over, even for a big guy.
With all the adrenalin kicking in, I doubt you’d even know you were tired. ;) But seriously, since the War Hammer would be used on softer media (i.e. zombie skulls), I would look to have one made from a lighter weight durable alloy—such as titanium alloy. This lighter weight hammer would ostensibly allow you to keep swinging with minimal fatigue without sacrificing strength and striking power.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:How many zombies could you take down with a standard VG10 Endura or Pacific Salt is my question?
Just for clarity, please confirm that this is all humor. ;)
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I'd be more than confident in my Pacific Salt SE It would be a looooooong time before it became useless for cutting flesh.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Evil D wrote:Well realistically, we would all bring what we have on us, so unless you EDC a big zombie chopping fixed blade, you'd bring a folder too. At least until you found a fixed blade somewhere.
HaHa...if world war z breaks out on M-F between the hours of 7AM-4:30PM I will be relegated to my BRG Manbug for defense. Well, at least it's ZDP189... :p

Would probably have to bury it "to the hilt" to penetrate the cranium-encrusted kill zone, though.

Hmm...would a "toothy" edge or "mirror" polish be more effective for dispatching the shambling undead hoards? :rolleyes:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We talk about this topic like it's something new, but if you wanna know how to crush skulls just look back at medieval warfare and what they used 1000s of years ago. Like I said before, back then they were trying to penetrate steel helmets...if you used any kind of carpenter's hammer, you would have no problem at all getting the job done on a bare unprotected head. If you can't swing a carpenter's hammer long enough to not get fatigued, you're a goner no matter what you're swinging. Something like a machete is going to wedge into bone and get stuck, as often did with swords back then unless you were strong enough and your blade was heavy enough and had good enough edge geometry to cleanly chop/slice completely through a skull, but most archeological evidence suggests that was quite uncommon. Bludgeoning to the head and impaling of the torso were the two standard types of death blows in melee combat, and since we're strictly going for the brain, you need a hammer or other kind of blunt object.

OK so here's the perfect setup....A classic medieval Bec De Corbin for keeping them at a distance...

And then a nice close quarter war hammer for when they get too close...

Of course, since you can't go down to Walmart and buy either of those, you could just get one of these...

And then get yourself a nice timber screw like this...

Screw it straight into the top of the handle, and grind off the bolt head into a point for stabbing. You would then also have a tool you could use to build shelters, pry doors open with, etc.

Or, if you could get your hands on a Trucker's Friend, that might just be the ultimate, since you get a hammer, prying tool, and an axe/blade all in one tool...

~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JNewell wrote:Just for clarity, please confirm that this is all humor. ;)
Yes this is all humor as far as I am concerned. But mass outbreaks of super rabies would be bad.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Double tap.
~David
JBE

Post by JBE »

If it has to be a Spyderco and has to be folder, I would go with a beast back lock, i.e the Chinook.
Jason
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

While I enjoy the Walking Dead, their portrayal of small folding knives as instant zombie-killing lightsabers is a little silly. It's ridiculous how, even when surrounded with weapons that have much more reach, the characters choose to whip out their little Gerbers and miraculously stab zombies in the brain, sometimes through openings in chain link fences... Anyway, I'd probably use my Manix 2, and for the actual zombie fighting, I'd probably use something like my 48" cast aluminum large pipe wrench. :)
Attachments
51YH79F8XSL._AA220_.gif.jpg
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Yes this is all humor as far as I am concerned. But mass outbreaks of super rabies would be bad.
Agree on rabies - different thread? ;) Even the spread of "ordinary" rabies is some cause for concern.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

devman wrote:Would want a fixed blade for sure but I think my Gayle Bradley would do in a pinch��
Just make sure you clean the blade promptly and carefully. Blood --> rust big time. :(