If a Walking Dead type Zombie Apocalypse came,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would want a Machete and or a Katana along with a shotgun.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Probably the best spyderco folder I own for said apocalypse would be my cruwear military.

That said, I'd definitely have a fixed blade and not a folder.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

TheRaven wrote:Probably the best spyderco folder I own for said apocalypse would be my cruwear military.

That said, I'd definitely have a fixed blade and not a folder.
Zombie blood is corrosive. ;)
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Zombie blood is corrosive. ;)
That's ok. I'm anal when it comes to keeping my knives clean and dry. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've said for years that edge weapon is not the way to go, you want blunt trauma: aluminum baseball bat. Far less likely to injure yourself, break it, or get it stuck in a wall or something. Also takes less skill/precision.
I agree. Knives get stuck in human bodies on occasion too. That's why a spear isn't the best weapon. Something that allows you to keep them well away from all parts of your body. Even a fingernail scratch to your arm might be it for ya. :)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
acer

Post by acer »

I would gain a certain level of personal security knowing I had a szabo in pocket, also greater level of security knowing I was inside a Chieftain tank.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Warrior or Jumpmaster!
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Serrata for fixed blade, Szabo or Vallotton for folder! One of my Katanas or Viking swords most definitely! :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

A para2 to go with one of those never say die fixed blades.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Who brings a folder to the apocalypse?
Answer...zombie food.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:Who brings a folder to the apocalypse?
Answer...zombie food.
Well realistically, we would all bring what we have on us, so unless you EDC a big zombie chopping fixed blade, you'd bring a folder too. At least until you found a fixed blade somewhere.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Well realistically, we would all bring what we have on us, so unless you EDC a big zombie chopping fixed blade, you'd bring a folder too. At least until you found a fixed blade somewhere.
This means a majority of us would be finding a Buck or Schrade hunting knife and that would be our likely carry then.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:Well realistically, we would all bring what we have on us, so unless you EDC a big zombie chopping fixed blade, you'd bring a folder too. At least until you found a fixed blade somewhere.
I have a few machetes in the garage that would be my first choice. Folders would come along for the ride, but not for zombie duty.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

For a folder, the Manix 2 XL

For a Spyderco Fixed... the Forrester
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I wouldn't bet my life on a folder for popping brains. Give me the Lum Tanto or the Pygmy Warrior
I wouldn't bet mine on any knife, folding or otherwise. Wouldn't even bet it on my katana. Give me a sawed off 12 gauge for the zombies and a Stretch for cutting stuff.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really if it came down to it, I wouldn't want a bladed weapon at all for killing zombies. Even a sword is too close range for my taste. I would opt for something along the lines of a single prong pitch fork, something with reach that you could easily impale the head and easily remove it without the fear of wedging and getting stuck. Of course, you'd also want something for closer range, and for that I would probably opt for one of the most commonly found items anywhere, and that would be a good quality carpenter's claw hammer. War hammers 1000s of years ago were devastating in combat even against opponents wearing steel helmets, so they would have no problem with an unprotected head, and I would say hammers are even more common than machetes and large knives. All that aside, you probably couldn't do much better than a simple aluminum baseball bat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

The sound of a shotgun would attract all the other zombies within earshot. Baseball bat is a reasonable common-sense choice for a Zombie Apocalypse day. The problem is carrying a baseball bat around all the time will get me a lot of strange looks at the office. I’ll probably end up schlepping along against the Zombies with my little Caly 3.5 instead :o
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:I wouldn't bet mine on any knife, folding or otherwise. Wouldn't even bet it on my katana. Give me a sawed off 12 gauge for the zombies and a Stretch for cutting stuff.
Chainsaw??? :o
Evil D wrote:Really if it came down to it, I wouldn't want a bladed weapon at all for killing zombies. Even a sword is too close range for my taste. I would opt for something along the lines of a single prong pitch fork, something with reach that you could easily impale the head and easily remove it without the fear of wedging and getting stuck. Of course, you'd also want something for closer range, and for that I would probably opt for one of the most commonly found items anywhere, and that would be a good quality carpenter's claw hammer. War hammers 1000s of years ago were devastating in combat even against opponents wearing steel helmets, so they would have no problem with an unprotected head, and I would say hammers are even more common than machetes and large knives. All that aside, you probably couldn't do much better than a simple aluminum baseball bat.
From my long-ago 17th and 18th century living history days, I have a pike on a 16' staff. That's the early version of a stand-off weapon. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Really if it came down to it, I wouldn't want a bladed weapon at all for killing zombies. Even a sword is too close range for my taste. I would opt for something along the lines of a single prong pitch fork, something with reach that you could easily impale the head and easily remove it without the fear of wedging and getting stuck. Of course, you'd also want something for closer range, and for that I would probably opt for one of the most commonly found items anywhere, and that would be a good quality carpenter's claw hammer. War hammers 1000s of years ago were devastating in combat even against opponents wearing steel helmets, so they would have no problem with an unprotected head, and I would say hammers are even more common than machetes and large knives. All that aside, you probably couldn't do much better than a simple aluminum baseball bat.
Yea, in the world of cardboard-skull zombies like the show I would MUCH prefer a longer item like a spear. Perhaps a light sword like a katana at shortest range. You certainly wouldn't want to get jumped inside though given your ability to turn and use it in close quarters. I guess something of a short-knife or sword as well. The Roman pilum/gladius combo for example would be crazy good. Throw in a buckler for good measure :) .

In a situation where a skull is of normal density and needs to be punctured I would have to go with a war hammer (with spike) or even a longer version. You gain durability (not to mention kinetic force/knock back) at the expense of weight though. I certainly wouldn't want to exert myself for long.

As for Spydies, I would prob take a Perrin Street Bowie or a nice folder for normal stuff. Maybe a Schempp Rock or Warrior for those silly martial situations.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd go for a tomahawk