Do I need to give the techno another go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If you can afford it. What didn't you like about it? Has that changed?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

If it was too small, it will still be too small. Buy something bigger instead. That's what I did when I sold my Techno! Maybe a Caly 3/3.5 or a Sage 2 if you're into Ti?
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ahh....lol, I can always relate to your posts Swigert! I handled one months ago at knifeworks and didn't care for it at all...and I constantly find myself thinking about getting one or trying it again. :D . I'm going to the states on Wednesday and plan to try one again, but honestly I just don't think the knife is for me.

Now...I'm going to tell you what you should do with that $150. I know you are trying to avoid getting more "plain ole s30v" right now, but you need to get over that. S30v is great steel and it won't hurt you to own more of it. Honestly I don't think the xhp in the techno really has any notable advantages over spydercos s30v...it's just got a fancier and less common name. ;) . Now once you get over that little hangup you will be free to make the correct decision. Which is to get a standard edition Spyderco Military. Pick your color scheme, but I personally kind of dig the DLC blades. That is all.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No sense in getting and returning another Techno. For only $63 over your $150, you could get a Southard. All the awesome fit & finish, but with a longer CTS-204P blade.
:bug-red-white
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Stick to you 1st instincts. Every time that I had a certain knife and sold it and bought it back again, it ended up getting resold. There's a reason you sold it the 1st time. Assuming it wasn't because you needed the coin, than chances are buying another will not magically make you like the knife enough to keep it this time. This goes for just about any product.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You're probably drawn to the knife because of its looks but find it too small like I do. Don't buy it again, wait for the K2 or the Slysz Bowie, both of which are similar to the techno, but will pack more punch.

That said, you should buy something now in the meantime ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I tried that with a DFly.. Got the 1st and gifted it away.. Got a ZDP that I thought I would try again.. No go!! That is on the block.. Seems if ya dont care for it at first then you wont later.. Me anyway!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't unless your preferences or needs have severely changed.

I did that with the Caly3 (ZDP/CF model). Loved the theory of the knife but didn't like the knife itself due to the forced choil grip and slick scales. Got the Super Blue one and liked how it seemed to fall into hand better. The charm wore off eventually.

Not every knife is for every person, that's why we have variety. Buy what your eyes like and sell what your hand doesn't.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Blerv wrote:I wouldn't unless your preferences or needs have severely changed.

I did that with the Caly3 (ZDP/CF model). Loved the theory of the knife but didn't like the knife itself due to the forced choil grip and slick scales. Got the Super Blue one and liked how it seemed to fall into hand better. The charm wore off eventually.

Not every knife is for every person, that's why we have variety. Buy what your eyes like and sell what your hand doesn't.
^ Sig line material. :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

this_is_nascar wrote:Stick to you 1st instincts. Every time that I had a certain knife and sold it and bought it back again, it ended up getting resold. There's a reason you sold it the 1st time. Assuming it wasn't because you needed the coin, than chances are buying another will not magically make you like the knife enough to keep it this time. This goes for just about any product.
Agree ^^^

Also agree with our resident fisherman about that S30V Military. Every Spyderco fan should experience the epicness of the Military at least once... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Agree, let it go. The Slysz bowie will have all the same pros as the techno in a larger size, so wait for that one.
LC Kid

Like Little Tanks?

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr swigert!

I'd put very clear if you like little big knives or not to begin with.

If you're a large knives guy it doesn't even worth to try.

The Techno is truly an awesome knife, and it looks like the perfect EDC knife in my book. But that's my book, not yours.
:rolleyes: If you really like > 3" blades I'd suggest to wait for the Slysz Bowie. It has everything that makes the Techno such an awesome knife but in a bigger format, so it looks like there's no way you're not going to like it way better than the little tank.
Stay Sharp!