Green Para2's are back

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

senorsquare wrote:Is 1200 typically the limit for dealer exclusives? That may be one reason that the orange paras are harder to find because CS says on their website that their 800 piece run is sold out and no longer available.
I don't remember what the minimum order is - Sal posted that at one point, I think. I would guess it's 800 if that's what the CS orange Para2 was. Dealers/distributors can reorder (also subject to minimum amounts, probably 400), and several have. I don't think there's an upward limit on reorders, but at some point Spyderco probably has better things to do with production capacity and/or the market appeal of the knife wanes so there are probably practical limits.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:USPS says mine will arrive tomorrow.
Mine arrived last summer. Beat you this time :) :D
Congrats anyway. I cannot imagine how could you miss this beautiful dark green knife last time? :confused:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Mine arrived last summer. Beat you this time :) :D
Congrats anyway. I cannot imagine how could you miss this beautiful dark green knife last time? :confused:
:rolleyes: :D :D :D

- John
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

senorsquare wrote:Is 1200 typically the limit for dealer exclusives? That may be one reason that the orange paras are harder to find because CS says on their website that their 800 piece run is sold out and no longer available.
JNewell wrote:I don't remember what the minimum order is - Sal posted that at one point, I think. I would guess it's 800 if that's what the CS orange Para2 was. Dealers/distributors can reorder (also subject to minimum amounts, probably 400), and several have. I don't think there's an upward limit on reorders, but at some point Spyderco probably has better things to do with production capacity and/or the market appeal of the knife wanes so there are probably practical limits.
From the homepage/exclusives:

"Production quantities are generally based on minimum material requirements, etc. and the customer reserves the right to re-order this item while it is under the exclusive contract. In most circumstances, Spyderco reserves the right to re-produce the item after contractual obligations have been fulfilled. "

So it appears they saw no need to rope themselves into arbitrary amount limits and left room for common sense and practicality. Checking the spydiewiki, most PM runs have been for 800, but the CF S90V was 600 and of course the CPM 154/S90V was 300. Also a 3rd run is expected of the BBS blue M390!!

Edit: Oops -- of course the 600 and 300 runs were sprintruns -- not dealer exclusives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DougC-3 wrote:From the homepage/exclusives:

"Production quantities are generally based on minimum material requirements, etc. and the customer reserves the right to re-order this item while it is under the exclusive contract. In most circumstances, Spyderco reserves the right to re-produce the item after contractual obligations have been fulfilled. "

So it appears they saw no need to rope themselves into arbitrary amount limits and left room for common sense and practicality. Checking the spydiewiki, most PM runs have been for 800, but the CF S90V was 600 and of course the CPM 154/S90V was 300. Also a 3rd run is expected of the BBS blue M390!!
That (the BBS exclusive) will stir up a firestorm of hate posts, given some people's feelings about BBS and the generally tight production capacity in Golden. :( On quantities, it's possible that Spyderco handles sprints like the CF S90V knives (Manix 2 was only 400, even less than the PM2 and Military) and the recent CPM154/S90V differently than the way they handle exclusives. I have a pretty clear recollection that Sal has posted on this, but a search doesn't turn it up immediately. :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JNewell wrote:That (the BBS exclusive) will stir up a firestorm of hate posts, given some people's feelings about BBS and the generally tight production capacity in Golden. :( On quantities, it's possible that Spyderco handles sprints like the CF S90V knives (Manix 2 was only 400, even less than the PM2 and Military) and the recent CPM154/S90V differently than the way they handle exclusives. I have a pretty clear recollection that Sal has posted on this, but a search doesn't turn it up immediately. :)
I thought about the distinction between exclusives and sprints and was trying to edit my post on my tablet, with a faulty connection, while you were posting :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Mine arrived last summer. Beat you this time :) :D
This is my second :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DougC-3 wrote:I thought about the distinction between exclusives and sprints and was trying to edit my post on my tablet, with a faulty connection, while you were posting :)
No biggie. :) I doubt that the rules for dealing with these things arrived on Sal's desks on a pair of stone tablets, anyway. One of the advantages of running a fairly small company that you own yourself is that you get to make the rules. :D I was mostly frustrated by not being able to google up the post I (think I) remember. :o
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I can't wait for the BBS Para 2.
I need it.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Well I guess I won't be waiting long after all. Mine just shipped! And I was so sure I was in the second round. This is all very exciting, sprints are fun!
ZL1 wrote:I can't wait for the BBS Para 2.
I need it.
Even though it's essentially the same steel, I do prefer blue.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I called and checked with KW. I am definitely in the second batch pre-order list. I feel like a little kid having to wait for Christmas to roll around.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Better than being the little kid that missed christmas.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

tvenuto wrote:Better than being the little kid that missed christmas.
True :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JNewell wrote:No biggie. :) I doubt that the rules for dealing with these things arrived on Sal's desks on a pair of stone tablets, anyway. One of the advantages of running a fairly small company that you own yourself is that you get to make the rules. :D I was mostly frustrated by not being able to google up the post I (think I) remember. :o

Right -- practicality, logic, flexibility, and creativity seem to take precedence over rigid practices and rules. :spyder: :)
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Tracking says expected today but it's not marked as "out for delivery" which means it'll likely come tomorrow instead. Somebody hold me....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sometimes the status updates are delayed. I've had items delivered before the site even shows out for delivery. So, stay hopeful!
:bug-red-white
Venture

Post by Venture »

The tracking says mine has been delivered :D cant wait to get home and check this bad boy out.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:This is my second :D
Smart. Two dark green paras are twice better than one. And dark green para is the best para ever (CF is not bad either, but dark green still better)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:And dark green para is the best para ever (CF is not bad either, but dark green still better)
I see no need for a future Para 2 Sprint in my future.... unless Sal gives us one in M4 or Cruwear ...... OR A RED G-10 handle
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I'm still waiting for a CF/S110V that will be a large sprint run (1,200+) so everyone has a shot at getting one.

...but I still picked up another Green one while I wait for the CF/S110V.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2