Worst (best?) impulse buy yet...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Worst (best?) impulse buy yet...

Post by Nate »

So, I was wandering around the interwebs last night, actually comparing prices on the remaining Calypso sprints out there, and I came across a listing for the limited edition Para2 in s90v/154cm!!! :eek:

Naturally, I have no business buying this thing, but it was actually listed at 20% off msrp and I figured if I didn't buy it, I would be a fool, and regret it forever, lol. I mean even if the merits of the laminate are debatable, it's still the rarest Para out there :D

I was skeptical that it was actually still in stock, but they just called to confirm my order and emailed me a shipping number, crazy luck...

Anyone else having trouble showing restraint around these :spyder: 's?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The same here. I didn't plan to buy this sprint. My knife budget was shot. But I couldn't resist, when I received an opportunity.
May be this was not the best impulse to buy, but IMHO this is a good decision. Considering what you paid, even if will not like the knife after some use, I have no doubts that you will be able to sell and return your money.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Finding one of these below MSRP is quite a feat. Sounds like a great impulse buy (especially with many looking very hard and unable to find one). Enjoy it!
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I paid waaaay too much for mine. But I am enjoying the knife. It's already pretty beaten up.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

You guys want to mention where exactly you are talking about out of curiosity?
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Here is one for $499.

Still better than ebay haha

http://www.shop-tricityknifeworks.com/p ... 1cfpe2.htm
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks guys. You pretty much echoed my reasoning. I haven't ever sold a knife, but if I needed to, it's hard to imagine losing anything on this one...

I wasn't going to mention names, but I found mine at Willey Knives. They looked legit, so I went for it.
**edit, now listed out of stock there.**
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Apophis wrote:I wasn't going to mention names, but I found mine at Willey Knives. They looked legit, so I went for it.
**edit, now listed out of stock there.**
Very few of these were manufactured so finding one for sale from a retail store is a rare occurrence.

They are too expensive for me, that just leaves less competition for the rest of you guys.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

The Willey's are great people and are very serious about their cutlery business...Take Care...Ed
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Best.. Caly3 SB

Worst(??).. Sage 1 sent down the road, D,Fly ZDP.. Cant seem to warm up to this and it is my 2nd one.. Felt the same about the first but thought I would try again.. Needs a new home!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That PM2 is an epic find! I'm not sure if I would have resisted... :)

My best impulse buy was this Koster MUCK a few years ago. Its a 6 inch camp knife in CPM-3V (photos from Koster's site):

I happen to stumble upon the only site (KSF) which sold them, when they were freshly loaded late one night. I later learnt there was more than a year waiting list active on BF for these, and at a much higher price.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ed Schempp wrote:The Willey's are great people and are very serious about their cutlery business...Take Care...Ed
Thanks Ed! Any doubts I had about Willey Knives were put to rest when they called me this morning. Geri was super friendly, I will definitely visit the store next time we head out to Rehoboth Beach.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Brock O Lee wrote:That PM2 is an epic find! I'm not sure if I would have resisted... :)

My best impulse buy was this Koster MUCK a few years ago. Its a 6 inch camp knife in CPM-3V (photos from Koster's site):
Those are great pics! I really like Koster's designs, but don't have any. I'm a sucker for those micarta scales though...

Still kind of dazed by what I dropped on the PM2 (even if it was a "bargain"). It wasn't even something on my radar, but once I saw it, I couldn't pass it up. So, it's my worst impulse buy in terms of $$$'s, but also my best "find" considering the going rate for them on the bay already. Good thing I've got a nice refund coming, lol.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I have the problem of "doubling up" on every knife i buy. So when i see one i want its really 2.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Yep I got a caly 3.5 3 weeks ago loved it so much got a caly3 sb the next week and I I'm planning on picking up a military.

Edit: I just bought the military
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

most buys are impulse buys nothing is really planned
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

I think I need to impulse buy the next PM2 I come across... Does it count as a "weak moment" if I'm planning it in advance?
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

bakergh wrote:I think I need to impulse buy the next PM2 I come across... Does it count as a "weak moment" if I'm planning it in advance?
Not one bit, it is a spyderco after all ;) :D
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
nccole

Post by nccole »

I purcahsed a Kahr Arms CW45 and decided I needed the Kahr Delica 4. Then I needed lots of ammo, so the Delica got canceled.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I love the colors those Kahr delicas come in, but hate that they've shortened the blade and that it's hollow. Just too expensive (considering those things) for me to pick one up. I'd love a khaki D4!