Opinions on sage 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

Opinions on sage 3

Post by Kylems11 »

Ive been thinking about buying a sage 3 and wondering if any owners out there can tell me how you like it. Specifically the carbon fiber/g10 handles. I do not like carbon fiber handles and am wondering if the grip is more like a g10 feeling? And also how the bolt action lock is? is it worth my money......
remnar

Post by remnar »

It is probably the smoothest knife that I own and it locks up solid. I have the G10 version so I can't comment on the carbon fiber. The only thing that I do not like about the knife is the width of the knife when it is closed. It takes up a little more pocket space than I like to give up.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I have both the G10 and the CF versions and I prefer the CF version. It's not slick CF due to the texture but it's not as grippy as G10. I prefer the BAL over the CBBL (ie. Manix2), it's not as loose as an Axis lock and it's a little stiff to actuate with one digit but with two it's fine. If you prefer G10, I'd track down the original if you don't mind blue. I find the width a bit wider than the other Sages but the handle fits the hand great when it's open. Make sure you check out the Domino too if you like the Sages, it's not that much bigger.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I echo what Remnar said about the smoothness! It feels like it's on a floating pivot, if you can imagine that! As far as the grip it is not as grippy as G10, more of a textured smooth feel to it! :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The action is the smoothest spyderco I have handled. I live near the SFO and am able to handle any knife I want. As soon as I opened it for the first time I had to have it. The CF is not smooth but is definitely not as grippy as G10. It is just right for me. The ergos are so good for me that my purchase on the knife is excellent. The fit and finish of the knife is also very good. I agree that the lock needs a finger on each side to easily actuate but the lockup is very tight. I have an admitted adversity with tip up but had to have it anyway. I have been very satisfied with my desicion and have mine in my pocket right now.

The main reason I bought this knife is because it is as smooth as silk and I like the bolt action lock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

+1 to everything bearfaced said. I don't really have anything to add that he didn't already say, but I agree that the bolt action lock is just ridiculously smooth and locks up very solidly with no play. The pivot action feels perfectly uniform throughout the full arc of travel as if it's on a track. It's hard to explain, but when you release the lock, the blade will easily gravity-close by itself, gently, rather than just smashing into the handle like it's swinging freely.

I guess I wouldn't exactly call it inexpensive, but the Sage 3 really feels like a high-end custom quality piece to me. I have the blue G10 version and actually like the color even though many do not, but if I lost it, I'd buy another one in CF without hesitation.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Thanks for the info yea i love the styles that just "gravity close". I would rather have the g10 but i dont like blue i only buy black handle knives. But if the cf/g10 isnt to smooth i think il grab it. The domino looks good too but i think im going to wait and get the dice when it comes out at the end of the summer. Looks like its guna be a good high quality knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I would describe peel ply G-10 as feeling like fine sandpaper, a fine cut file, or sharkskin. It also varies, some colors are coarser than others as is the G-10 from some countries. I'd put the blue G-10 on the original Sage 3 somewhere in the middle of that. The CF on the new Sage 3 feels pebbled, like rayskin. Definite texture, just smooth bumps rather than a gritty/rough feel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!