Paramilitary 2 as a slicer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

Paramilitary 2 as a slicer?

Post by sbaker345 »

I bought a ZT 0566 lately and although heavy I love the solid tank construction. That being said I still want a spyderco to go with the sharpmaker and I just dont like FRN.

I like the lines of the paramilitary 2 but will it basically perform the same as the zt0566 or will the blade slice better?

Another question, is blade play normal in a paramilitary 2, I can't stand it.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

The ZT 0566 cuts better than the Para 2, probably due to the thinner stock. Para 2 still cuts nicely however.
I have noticed that you can force some side play easily with Para 2's but I wouldn't call that blade play.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Sounds like i just need to get a delica, I just hate the gap between the blade and handle, makes it look cheap.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

The parimilitary 2 cuts well. Id be willing to bet it cuts better than the 0566. I find Zero tolerance leaves their edges very thick behind the edge bevel, and once you drop them down to a resonable angle- say 15 degrees epr side like the spyderco, youre left with a huge bevel and wedging due to the low height grind and thick edge.

The paramilitary is fairly thick behind the edge but the full flat would have an inclusive angle a little steeper than the ZT. (probably a noticeable coupel of degrees inclusive)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I wouldn't say it's THE slicer but it does pretty well for a knife made with 4mm stock. The only time I notice it is with apples. It flies though cardboard. I prefer a Stretch or Chokwe or Caly 3/3.5 for a slicer.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

The Para2 is an excellent slicer.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

If u want a slicer I would go with a caly 3/3.5 I love mine
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Scottie3000 wrote:I wouldn't say it's THE slicer but it does pretty well for a knife made with 4mm stock.
Well said!! I've had an 0566 (lost it, arg!) and still have my PM2 - the PM2 is a better slicer than the 0566, but not Spyderco's best slicer.

Consider the Stretch 2 if you want miraculous slice-ability (but you'll have to work to avoid FRN on that one, maybe find an older G10 handle?). Also, in my view the PM2's blade size is not terribly far off your ZT. If you'd consider a different size for variety, I'd recommend the Dragon Fly (an amazing little slicer); or Manix 2XL (for a huge blade, an excellent slicer - it gets to go camping way more than my ZT 0560 does. ;)

Edit: no blade play on my PM2 (or any of my Spydercos for that matter).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say it's one of the best slicing factory ground 4mm blades out there. I'd also recommend getting a Caly 3/3.5 if you want a better slicer, and I'd also recommend getting a Chaparral or Centofante 3 if you want an even better slicer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Is the centofante affected by the saber grind? A caly is on my list but for 150 I'm not sure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sbaker345 wrote:Is the centofante affected by the saber grind? A caly is on my list but for 150 I'm not sure.
It's a hollow saber, so it's fairly thin behind the edge. The blade is only 2mm thick though, so that shoulder at the top of the grind doesn't wedge even as much as a 3mm full flat grind. The Chaparral is likely an even better slicer though being 2mm and full flat grind, but the Centofante will slice with the best of them. If you went and put a 20 inclusive back bevel on it and a 30 degree micro, it will slice like a lightsaber.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Either going to be the centofante or chaparral, thanks guys.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Chaparral is a mean slicer, though it is a smaller knife and I find it a little less versatile than the Chokwe (Though if sheeple friendly is a consideration the Chaparral sets the bar). The Chokwe is also a very good slicer, especially near the tip where the blade is thin at the spine, but due to the grind it's a fair bit thicker near the handle for more robust cutting. The Chokwe is also for sale for REALLY good prices everywhere now, and really has suberb fit and finish. It or the Techno are the two I have with best fit and finish, and the Chokwe is way more ergonomic than you might think looking at it. It's also my smoothest opening Spyderco to date. Overall (And especially given the low price and high quality materials...I've seen some as low as $124), I think the Chokwe is a better deal than a Chaparral or Centofante 3. And the Chokwe is discontinued now, whereas the Chaparral will be around for a while...and it does tailstands.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden