Spyderco Sharpmaker Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Spyderco Sharpmaker Question

Post by this_is_nascar »

When using the Sharpmaker to sharpen a Victorinox (Cadet, Executive, Spartin), which angle should be used?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi nascar!

Victorinox uses a very soft 'secret' steel on their blades, whatever model, except only for the new (and very few) Damascus ones.

It means they're really easy to sharpen on the SharpMaker, but they won't hold an edge for a long while.

So your best bet with a Victorinox SAK + SharpMaker is the 40 degrees angle. :)

It will give you a very nice working edge that will last way more than the 30 degrees angle edge.
Stay Sharp!
JBE

Post by JBE »

40 degrees inclusive works very well...

They take to a strop very well too...

It doesn't take very much to bring the edge back on them. The steel they use isn't that hard.
Jason
me2

Post by me2 »

What are you using it to do? If you're peeling and coring veggies and such, I'll go against the majority and say the 15 degree per side slot. Of course my grandmother would use paring knives to chip holes in the bottom of flower pots, so again, we'll need to know how you use the knives.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

30 degrees will be sharper

40 degrees will stay sharp longer

both will be sharp

based on the common uses of a SAK, anything and everything, most would probably say 40
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks everyone. I have a Cadet on the way, so I wanted to know. I'll go with the 40-degree setting. I have to get a small strop and learn how to use it.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Can anyone recommended a good portable sharpening stone and strop that I can take on the go? Maybe a stone that is course on one side and fine on the other and a strop that's 6 or 8 inches? I don't want to the the AM while I am on the road.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The double stuff could be a good option for a stone.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=87
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The double stuff could be a good option for a stone.

And, you can use its storage case for a strop.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The double stuff could be a good option for a stone.

Thx. I like it.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

mattman wrote:And, you can use its storage case for a strop.
Seriously I can do that? That would be great.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Might not be the best thing to learn on, but can perform the job in the field sufficiently.
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

**** to All,

I convexed the blade on my Alox SAK (mouse pad + carbide abrasive paper) : I then use the 40 degree slots on the Sharpmaker to put the working edge on.

As has been pointed out in previous posts, the edge holding on these SAKs is not stellar, but with the Sharpmaker it, is a doddle to bring the edgeback :)

Have fun :)

best regards

Russ