Your thoughts on pre-ordering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Your thoughts on pre-ordering

Post by fredswartz »

I have pre-ordered before but it took a long time to get the knife and sometimes the early runs had problems. In some instances prices on the web soared after the knife came out and then again, sometimes the price on the web dropped dramatically (T-Mag) only to rise again. I have 2 of all Alex's Spyderco designs to date and plan to buy a Battle Station. Pre-Order or??
A cabin fever post with cold temps and snow moving in. Is this Spring???
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer to wait. Only time it's really worked out was an exclusive when I know the dealer in question would be getting and selling like 90% of the knives. In that case it's buy now or pay more later when they are pre-sold out in 5 days.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I pre-order only the anticipated high demand models (generally sprints or exclusives). I have experienced both positive and negative results.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No need to pre-order except for sprints and exclusives that you really want. Being patient will almost always save you $$ (on a regular production model).
:bug-red-white
Revival

Post by Revival »

I personally prefer to just wait. If I miss it then so be it.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I normally tell my dealer I want something and she lets me know when they start coming in. I don't prepay or anything similar and only do it when I want a model fast or it is a sprint.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

If I want a knife enough Ill put a preorder in just in case. Not a perfect system and it has its annoyances for sure.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pre-ordering regular production models, while not necessary, does establish a relationship with a dealer. I'm not suggesting any dealer does this, but I wouldn't blame any dealer who took care of their regular customers first when pre-orders for the most limited Sprints came in.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

On a regular production model I wouldn't bother preordering, especially on a more niche model like the battle station. You're likely to find a deal out there and you'll kick yourself for spending $30 more than necessary. Do this a few times and it's like buying a whole other knife!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have pre-ordered and I won't mention the company (they are well known), it took me months to get the folder. But, once it arrived it was like receiving a surprise present. But I prefer to wait.
nccole

Post by nccole »

I don't pre-order (I think only one actually does a legit pre-order anymore). I will on a sprint or exclusive if that will be the only way to get it. If I wanted the Battlestation, i would not pre-order. They will be around most likely, and you may even find a really good deal on one. Take the Karahawk at Howe's for example, I could totally see the Battlestation being that type of knife.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I think Pre-Order only makes sense with those Sprint Runs Hard-To-Get models.

And even with those, there are some Sprint Runs Harder-To-Get than others, meaning that not every Sprint Run requires you to Pre-Order it. :rolleyes:

OTOH, I've seen some Dealers that only take care of those Customers who are on their Pre-Order list.

So, at the end of the day it'll depend which model you wanna get.
Stay Sharp!
nccole

Post by nccole »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

I think Pre-Order only makes sense with those Sprint Runs Hard-To-Get models.

And even with those, there are some Sprint Runs Harder-To-Get than others, meaning that not every Sprint Run requires you to Pre-Order it. :rolleyes:

OTOH, I've seen some Dealers that only take care of those Customers who are on their Pre-Order list.

So, at the end of the day it'll depend which model you wanna get.
Like the green CTS-204P PM2, only pre-order people got one, and waited a loooong time, but Knifeworks did not sell more than they should have like one online vendor does. That was an exclusive and they knew exactly what they would have, sprints can be trickier as multiple dealers should see them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have only pre-ordered two that I really didn't want to miss. I got the SB Stretch last week, and I keep getting friendly emails saying the CF S110V Native5 is not in yet but I'm not forgotten. Time will tell if I'm batting 1.000...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I pre-ordered the cruwear military, shortly after preorders were possible. I waited months after everybody else got their knives and I finally got one from the preorder, even though I had ordered 2. I did not preorder the super blue delica or stretch and was not able to get one of them later.