Pacific Salt regrind "how to". (With photos)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

Surfingringo wrote:I know some folks like it, but that "kindergarten scissors" tip...
LOL

Nice mod, Lance. It looks great. After owning a PM2 and a Millie, the Salts, Delicas, Enduras, etc. look a little weird to me at the tip. This would change their overall look for sure.

I cleaned/reconditioned/sharpened/polished a Tasman Salt for a friend recently. His tip was slightly bent up towards the spine. I just ground/sanded the bent tip off, and did the same thing you did here until I got the spine to meet the edge again, creating a nice pointy tip again. Afterwards, you really couldn't tell I did anything to it.

delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

Nice job, Surfingringo!

Couple of questions:
1) On the 60 grit sandpaper, did you rub the spine to-and-fro or side-to-side?
2) Did the metal mushroom out along the edges of the spine or just grind down clean and skinny?

Thanks for the info.

Larry
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

delphidoc wrote:Nice job, Surfingringo!

Couple of questions:
1) On the 60 grit sandpaper, did you rub the spine to-and-fro or side-to-side?
2) Did the metal mushroom out along the edges of the spine or just grind down clean and skinny?

Thanks for the info.

Larry
I rubbed tip to heel as I think it's much easier to keep everything vertical and even that way. No "mushrooming", but the edges were a tad sharp after the sanding so I hit em a couple of passes on the 180 just to knock off any burr.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

H1 should be offered in stone washed finish, it seems to scratch easy why not give it the stone washed look from factory
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

opusxpn wrote:H1 should be offered in stone washed finish, it seems to scratch easy why not give it the stone washed look from factory
With titanium handles..."Premium Salt" if you will. I'd still like the option for FRN on some or all (I like the FRN Salt Dragonfly), but I'd buy a titanium stonewashed Tasman SE before a FRN version (Which I do plan to buy at some point as is incidentally).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Surfingringo wrote:I rubbed tip to heel as I think it's much easier to keep everything vertical and even that way. No "mushrooming", but the edges were a tad sharp after the sanding so I hit em a couple of passes on the 180 just to knock off any burr.
Can I ask what specific type sand paper you used? Was it a metal vs. multipurpose vs. wood sandpaper?
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I might try this with my delica
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

captnvegtble wrote:Can I ask what specific type sand paper you used? Was it a metal vs. multipurpose vs. wood sandpaper?
I used the 3m paper that is pictured in the op. It doesn't matter though. Any low grit paper would be fine.
Mjc1973

Post by Mjc1973 »

That looks great. I have often thought my PM2 would look great with a radiused spine but first I am going to remove the nasty scratches that my work sharp left on my delica. (I don't like my work sharp anymore)
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Surfingringo wrote:I used the 3m paper that is pictured in the op. It doesn't matter though. Any low grit paper would be fine.
OK. I saw it was 3M, but I couldn't tell whether it was a metal specific sand paper... wasn't sure if it mattered.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Has anyone done this to a Salt 1? If so, please post pics of the mod.

I have a Salt 1 and found some 80 grit Aluminum oxide sand paper that I was going to try this on but the hump looks a little more pronounced on the Salt 1 as it is a shorter knife.

Thx.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

- best wishes, Jazz.
bornagainprimative

I like that whistle Jazz
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks. :) I did a thread a while back on how to make them. I used to whittle a bit with my granddaughter, but she's growing up. Here's a link. It's on page 3 and down a bit...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
- best wishes, Jazz.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Thanks Jazz!

What did use to take the black coating off the clip? I dont like the black clip!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This was a clip traded off a Rescue model that came shiny. I have just sanded clips, though. Use finer stuff, then even finer, and maybe a polish. I speeded some up with my Dremel tool. It has sanding drums. You still need to use some elbow grease. That's how I did it, but others have used paint remover or something. I'm not sure. And you're welcome for the pics. My most used knife is a Salt 1 with the normal tip. I love that tip, but I do have 2 done with a point.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Jazz wrote:This was a clip traded off a Rescue model that came shiny. I have just sanded clips, though. Use finer stuff, then even finer, and maybe a polish. I speeded some up with my Dremel tool. It has sanding drums. You still need to use some elbow grease. That's how I did it, but others have used paint remover or something. I'm not sure. And you're welcome for the pics. My most used knife is a Salt 1 with the normal tip. I love that tip, but I do have 2 done with a point.
I am probably in the minority but I dont have a Dremel! LOL I just looked at the pics again and noticed that the tip looks pretty thin. Is that jusg the angle or is it real thin. I was looking referring tothe second pic but it doesnt look that thin in the first one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's not that thin. There's a lot of blade thickness almost to the tip because of the hollow grind. H1 is real tough, too. I beat the crap out of an H1 blade to see what it could take. Search my "H1 versus a shoe" thread. It's long, but full of H1 and FRN testing goodness.

Here's a link to that...
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... sus-a-shoe
- best wishes, Jazz.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

That's good to know. I wish Spyderco had this size H1 blade in FFG.
bornagainprimative

Jazz wrote:Thanks. :) I did a thread a while back on how to make them. I used to whittle a bit with my granddaughter, but she's growing up. Here's a link. It's on page 3 and down a bit...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
thank you so much for that I'm going to try making one for my two year old daughter.