Pacific Salt regrind "how to". (With photos)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
asmith001
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am

Postby asmith001 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:24 am

Surfingringo wrote:I know some folks like it, but that "kindergarten scissors" tip...
LOL

Nice mod, Lance. It looks great. After owning a PM2 and a Millie, the Salts, Delicas, Enduras, etc. look a little weird to me at the tip. This would change their overall look for sure.

I cleaned/reconditioned/sharpened/polished a Tasman Salt for a friend recently. His tip was slightly bent up towards the spine. I just ground/sanded the bent tip off, and did the same thing you did here until I got the spine to meet the edge again, creating a nice pointy tip again. Afterwards, you really couldn't tell I did anything to it.

Image

delphidoc
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Ada, OK

Postby delphidoc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Nice job, Surfingringo!

Couple of questions:
1) On the 60 grit sandpaper, did you rub the spine to-and-fro or side-to-side?
2) Did the metal mushroom out along the edges of the spine or just grind down clean and skinny?

Thanks for the info.

Larry

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5384
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Postby Surfingringo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm

delphidoc wrote:Nice job, Surfingringo!

Couple of questions:
1) On the 60 grit sandpaper, did you rub the spine to-and-fro or side-to-side?
2) Did the metal mushroom out along the edges of the spine or just grind down clean and skinny?

Thanks for the info.

Larry
I rubbed tip to heel as I think it's much easier to keep everything vertical and even that way. No "mushrooming", but the edges were a tad sharp after the sanding so I hit em a couple of passes on the 180 just to knock off any burr.

opusxpn
Member
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 am
Location: South Texas

Postby opusxpn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 pm

H1 should be offered in stone washed finish, it seems to scratch easy why not give it the stone washed look from factory
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 pm

opusxpn wrote:H1 should be offered in stone washed finish, it seems to scratch easy why not give it the stone washed look from factory
With titanium handles..."Premium Salt" if you will. I'd still like the option for FRN on some or all (I like the FRN Salt Dragonfly), but I'd buy a titanium stonewashed Tasman SE before a FRN version (Which I do plan to buy at some point as is incidentally).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Postby captnvegtble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 am

Surfingringo wrote:I rubbed tip to heel as I think it's much easier to keep everything vertical and even that way. No "mushrooming", but the edges were a tad sharp after the sanding so I hit em a couple of passes on the 180 just to knock off any burr.
Can I ask what specific type sand paper you used? Was it a metal vs. multipurpose vs. wood sandpaper?

bornagainprimative
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Postby bornagainprimative » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 am

I might try this with my delica
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5384
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Postby Surfingringo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 am

captnvegtble wrote:Can I ask what specific type sand paper you used? Was it a metal vs. multipurpose vs. wood sandpaper?
I used the 3m paper that is pictured in the op. It doesn't matter though. Any low grit paper would be fine.

Mjc1973
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:10 am

Postby Mjc1973 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 am

That looks great. I have often thought my PM2 would look great with a radiused spine but first I am going to remove the nasty scratches that my work sharp left on my delica. (I don't like my work sharp anymore)

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Postby captnvegtble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 am

Surfingringo wrote:I used the 3m paper that is pictured in the op. It doesn't matter though. Any low grit paper would be fine.
OK. I saw it was 3M, but I couldn't tell whether it was a metal specific sand paper... wasn't sure if it mattered.

sir_mike
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby sir_mike » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Has anyone done this to a Salt 1? If so, please post pics of the mod.

I have a Salt 1 and found some 80 grit Aluminum oxide sand paper that I was going to try this on but the hump looks a little more pronounced on the Salt 1 as it is a shorter knife.

Thx.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7467
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Jazz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image
- best wishes, Jazz.

bornagainprimative
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Postby bornagainprimative » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:36 pm

I like that whistle Jazz
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7467
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Jazz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks. :) I did a thread a while back on how to make them. I used to whittle a bit with my granddaughter, but she's growing up. Here's a link. It's on page 3 and down a bit...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
- best wishes, Jazz.

sir_mike
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby sir_mike » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks Jazz!

What did use to take the black coating off the clip? I dont like the black clip!

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7467
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Jazz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:53 pm

This was a clip traded off a Rescue model that came shiny. I have just sanded clips, though. Use finer stuff, then even finer, and maybe a polish. I speeded some up with my Dremel tool. It has sanding drums. You still need to use some elbow grease. That's how I did it, but others have used paint remover or something. I'm not sure. And you're welcome for the pics. My most used knife is a Salt 1 with the normal tip. I love that tip, but I do have 2 done with a point.
- best wishes, Jazz.

sir_mike
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby sir_mike » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Jazz wrote:This was a clip traded off a Rescue model that came shiny. I have just sanded clips, though. Use finer stuff, then even finer, and maybe a polish. I speeded some up with my Dremel tool. It has sanding drums. You still need to use some elbow grease. That's how I did it, but others have used paint remover or something. I'm not sure. And you're welcome for the pics. My most used knife is a Salt 1 with the normal tip. I love that tip, but I do have 2 done with a point.
I am probably in the minority but I dont have a Dremel! LOL I just looked at the pics again and noticed that the tip looks pretty thin. Is that jusg the angle or is it real thin. I was looking referring tothe second pic but it doesnt look that thin in the first one.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7467
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Jazz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:12 pm

It's not that thin. There's a lot of blade thickness almost to the tip because of the hollow grind. H1 is real tough, too. I beat the crap out of an H1 blade to see what it could take. Search my "H1 versus a shoe" thread. It's long, but full of H1 and FRN testing goodness.

Here's a link to that...
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... sus-a-shoe
- best wishes, Jazz.

sir_mike
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby sir_mike » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm

That's good to know. I wish Spyderco had this size H1 blade in FFG.

bornagainprimative
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Postby bornagainprimative » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Jazz wrote:Thanks. :) I did a thread a while back on how to make them. I used to whittle a bit with my granddaughter, but she's growing up. Here's a link. It's on page 3 and down a bit...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
thank you so much for that I'm going to try making one for my two year old daughter.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: attila, cycleguy, Google [Bot], HWF, Majestic-12 [Bot], mehhhhhhhh, MSN [Bot], Mushroom, rivy, selrahc and 27 guests